Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Elite 11 Finals

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Notoriousgator, Jun 4, 2018.

1. themistocles

themistocles GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    This year, I don't believe there are any 5* QBs, which is very unusual.

The thing about football, unlike basketball, is simply that ratings are based on play in and against completely different environments/competition for every single team. Some play really tough competition (e.g. Miami-Dade), and thus are consistently underrated. Others play pathetically weak competition (e.g. California), and thus are frequently overrated.

Mullen has shown an excellent ability to (1) identify lower rated QBs who can play, and (2) most importantly, develop their abilities effectively.

Although it's pretty unusual with QBs, most 5* athletes at other positions are simply such superior athletes that they overwhelm their opposition. Aside from those very rare kids, there's usually not a heck of a lot of difference between a 3* & a 4* regarding athletic ability, which is vital.

2. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Imo, There will be after the elite 11 finishes.

I think Spencer rattler will be a 5 star in the end. Outside of several dropped balls on terrific passes he looked like it was him...and everyone else.

Bo Nix looked special too. I'm glad Bama and uga will have to face him for 3-4 years. He could possibly make the jump to 5 *. He has terrific zip and touch....oh, and he can run too..damn why auburn?

Sam Howell won't be a 5* but that kid is special. Fsu got a good one here. Unfortunately.

Fortunately we got a good one too. One that's 6'4" already. Howell is 6'1" on his tip toes.

3. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    I don't understand why Jalon wasn't invited. There were several QBs lower rated than him.

Howell is going to be a good QB. I don't think his height will be an issue. Tua's brother is 5'11 and is being recruited by everybody.

Hilinski has shot up the boards. I hope he backs off the South Carolina commitment. He may just want to leave the west coast due to his brother's suicide, but USC just offered him.

Jimbo just got a commit from one of the Elite 11 QB's, Zach Calzada. He's ranked lower than Jalon Jones at #431 (18th ranked pro-style).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Let’s hpoe Jones is one of those guys that should have been a 5* in retrospect. I don’t care how many stars he has right now because it won’t change a thing.

5. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Well, he's a 4-star now on Rivals (still unranked on Rivals - as they only ranked inside the top 300). He's a 4-star on 247, so it's safe to say he's now a "consensus" 4-star. I know it doesn't matter in the long run, but sometimes perception is reality - so I'd like to see him ranked as high as possible so our class is ranked higher. I'm still sticking w/ my prediction we finish strong and move inside the top 15 (I'm guess 12th), but that will be a tough task w/ the slow start.

6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m omptomistic that our class will move up. A few key guys need to fall our way though

7. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    It will definitely move up...but how much? Agree on the second part, there are several 'make or break' kids (who could help the class move 'way' up....or move slightly up if we miss).

8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    So why are their six QBs from California starting in the NFL and only two from Florida? Three of the top four QBs taken in the draft were from California.

9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Ca pop 40 mil fl pop 20 mil. Maybe the amount of pro vs dual too.

10. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well part of it is who you can get. If it were that Coach could have had any of the above but hand picked Jalen then it would be more meaningful. Staff is going to have to build and win with the best they can bring in. At least we aren't sitting here saying "poop, I wish JJ had committed to us and wonder if there's any chance we can bring him back into the fold."

11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    4* Fromm took 5* Easton’s job. Take the Nfl qbs for instance, there are just as many under the radar guys as there are 5*. Evaluating qb’s must be pretty hard or Saban would have several NFL starters by now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm not accustomed to judging DT QBs based on video clips. I like watching a guy drop straight back, make his reads and throw the ball inside of three seconds the accuracy and trajectory through a tight window that allows his receiver and now one else to catch it. DT QBs run all over the backfield, looking for open receivers, then roll towards the LOS and either run or finally throw it in the general vicinity of an open receiver who probably broke off of his route. It looks like sandlot football. I understand the advantages of that type of offense and that type of QB but I just can't identify the good ones short of a Justin Fields, Tim Tebow or a Vince Young. Most of the rest of them look like great athletes who learned to throw the ball late in their high school careers.