Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Elite 11 Finals

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Notoriousgator, Jun 4, 2018.

1. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Sure. Why even bother going after a 4 or 5 star? The 3's are the way to go! No reason to go after those high risk/low reward 4 and 5 star QBs!!! A winning formula!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

It certainly can be, if your coach can evaluate and develop talent. Mullen's track record with quarterbacks suggests he is very good at both.

Way too many 4 and 5 star QBs bomb out and transfer. Several recently.

I don't get your angst over this, or your obsession with stars.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

You do realize that both Feleipe Franks and Emory Jones were 4 star recruits? A winning formula!

Given your total reliance on stars, perhaps that will put your mind at ease.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I just hope that Mullen gets qbs that he wants regardless of their stars.

• Like Like x 2
  5. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Depends on the 3 and the 5. Give me a Baker Mayfield over a Bobby Sabelhaus every day of the week. :rolleyes:

6. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015
    He was going to leave the west coast anyway due to his brother passing away. Georgia was South Carolina’s major competition, but looking at depth and also his major in college. He decided on South Carolina.

Dan Werner who over the years has developed very good Qb’s did a good job recruiting him along with Bryan McClendon who was a top notch recruiter at Georgia and has continued to do very good work at South Carolina. During our spring game he got to talk with former players at SC and also with Jerri and Steve Spurrier.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Agree with your entire post.

8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Of course lower ranked guys sometimes work out, and of course coaches need to recruit the guys they like and not worry about stars on a given player.

But it’s also true that over time, in aggregate, higher star ratings almost always lead to more on field success. Five stars are better than fours on the whole, fours are better than threes etc. People can justify all they want, but the teams with higher ranked classes are more likely to succeed year in and year out. It’s not about any one guy with a lower ranking, it’s about years of it, and years of mediocrity by our standards on the field leading to angst here.

And yes Mullen did more with less at MSU. He also has the worst record in college football history against ranked teams because in the end he got beat by bigger faster players when he faced teams with more talent. And for 5 years now people have ratoinalized our mediocre recruiting, while somehow not being able to correlate it to what’s happening on the field. We will win big again when we recruit big. Our class last year was a decent start, but if we recruit teams of three star guys Mullen won’t be here for the end of his contract. And I guarantee he believes that too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks for posting this. You're spot on. I don't reply when someone wants to argue that 3-star players are just fine (vs. taking a 4 or 5 star). I'm not going to waste my time. As you said, 'for 5 years now people have rationalized our mediocre recruiting....', and that is exactly what these comments about taking 3-star QBs is trying to do; rationalize. How about this? We get our QB "room" full of 4 and/or 5-star dual threat QB's and we let it wash out w/ the best of the bunch winning the job? Or we can have a QB room w/ a 2-star pro-style QB who wasn't even a HS starter, a 4-star pro-style QB who struggled to run a pro-style system, and a true freshman 4-star. Which option sounds best? I'm taking the room full of 4-star dual threat QBs all day long....

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    If you want to win at the highest level, you sure as hell better have a star obsession.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. sharkey28

sharkey28 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    According to Rivals the top dual threat QBs between '12-'16

2012- Jameis Winston, Cyler Miles, Matt Davis, Chad Kelly, Anthony Alford, Trevor Knight, Jeff Lindquist

2013- Troy Williams, Anu Solomon, Malik Zaire, Kenny Hill, Asiantii Woulard, Anthony Jennings, JT Brrett, Cord Sandberg, Aaron Bailey, Johnathon McCrary

2014- Deshaun Watson, Will Grier, Treon Harris, Jerrod Heard, Brandon Harris, Clayton Thorson, William Crest, Rafe Peavey

2015- Deondre Francois, Blake Barenett, Travis Waller, Brandon Wimbush, Kyler Murray, Jarrett Stidham, Dwayne Lawson, Sam Darnold, Chad President

2016- Shea Patterson, Malik Henry, Jarrett Guarantano, Khalil Tate, Shane Buechele, Max Gilliam, Devon Modster, Zerrick Cooper, Jalen Hurts, Skylar Thompson

I'd say the best to me at the QB position is letting the coach recruit who they feel is best for their system especially for a D/T QB as you can see many many misses in 4/5 star rankings at this position.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I totally agree when it comes to qbs. Other positions can be measured with statistics more easily. Qbis mostly between the ears and watching multiple live games over time is the only way to tell. Just because a guy can throw and run doesn’t make him a qb. Guys get all the way the the NFL sometimes on pure ability before entire organizations realizes that the guy can’t play. My stepdad is a huge Bills fan. After watching that FSU qb play our secondary years ago, I told him that the guy was crap but he still didn’t believe me when the Bills drafted him

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015
    Dak and Nick Fitzgerald were both 3 stars, but they are just as good as your 4 and 5 star guys... if you have a good offensive minded HC, especially one who can coach Qbs, then stars don’t matter..

It’s about being good evaluators of talent and excellent coaching.

30 years ago there was no star system. It was about finding good talent that would fit that particular system.

14. G8tas

G8tas All American

Sep 22, 2008
    If Mullen can do well with a 3 star just think what he could do with a 4 or 5

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. flipdaddy5

flipdaddy5 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 3, 2015
    Too bad he's never had a high caliber guy like that before in any of his offenses :D. Yes, at UF he and his staff need to recruit like they're at UF and not MSU. I find it interesting they brought in Maurer this weekend (Pro style) when they have Jones committed and to see if they add another QB after losing Allen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Mullen Has had great quarterbacks throughout his career. Somewhere three star some five stars but quarterbacks may be the one position that starts don’t matter as much because they’re so hard to evaluate

17. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Not wanting to argue I will throw this out there
    Stars are based aye on. What is known. If a player goes to the camps, plays at a high profile school or for a high profile coach and is good....they have a decent shot at being ranked highly.

But if a player is stuck in Podunk Mississippi playing for nobody high and the football coach is the history teacher and drivers ed teacher and is just filling in until a football coach can be hired...even if that kid is a stud he may not even get ranked.

There is also the issue of kids that mature way early. It's easy to dominate if you speak early. Some kids do. Coaches need to find kids that have the talent , drive and have not peaked.

I can't remember their names but I the last ten years or so I can remember at least two linebackers that were ranked really highly out of high school. Couple of my coaching buddies played against them and told me they were good but wouldn't do much in college. They had just physically matured faster than the other kids and racked up big numbers. It was evident that kids were catching up and passing them by the senior year.

I think one was named luk?

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    This is the reason coaches in Mullen’s situation have to work that much harder to find these guys. It’s easier if your program is rolling and you can hand pick your guys from the top 300 players. We are recruiting in the teens but have to beat teams with higher ranked recruiting classes to be what we consider successful. The only way to do that is through superior coaching and filling the bottom of our class with guys that take much more work for our staff to locate and evaluate. Part of the issue is that many kids aren’t yet developed into what they may become and the other part is that the are under the radar for whatever reason. There are also the guys that don’t have the measurables and are overlooked but they can play the game. My point I guess is that our coaches are going to have to work much harder to find these guys than a program that just pulls 25 top 300 guys out of a hat with their eyes closed

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    The three star looked better than Hurtz in Bama ‘s spring game.

20. Gator_n_Bmore

Gator_n_Bmore Premium Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Jalon Jones is a stud plain and simple. Take a look at the kid in the video from this week at UF. Physically mature, can spin it, good poise, and still developing. Perfect fit for Dan’s offense whether he’s a 3*, 4*, or a 5*

• Agree Agree x 3