Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Elite 11 Finals

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Notoriousgator, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty amazing that schools with commited QBS represented in the top 12 are iowa, Wisconsin, Colorado, undecided, Washington, undecided, fsu, mich, auburn, oklahoma, undecided, bama..

And UF has no one representing. Here are a few. I like Jalon Jones but id like us to have elite 11 talent.

Here's a few:

No. 10 Brian Maurer, Ocala (Fla.) West Port. Uncommitted. Coming into this camp , Maurer is a player we didn’t know a ton about it. He had back-to-back strong days and definitely put himself in the mix to make the Finals. He threw the ball very well Sunday in 7-on-7, making some big-time throws in clutch situations and is an intriguing kid for sure.

No. 8 Sam Howell, Monroe (N.C.) Sun Valley. Committed to Florida State. Broken record time but Howell was also hurt by receiver drops Sunday. There is no doubt he can throw the football. He’s a strong kid with a thick upper body built for taking a hit and still delivering the football and he has a nice, all-around skill set to go with his cannon.

No. 3 Bo Nix, Pinson (Ala.) Pinson Valley. Committed to Auburn. Nix is one of the most college-ready quarterbacks in this group. He’s a smart, accurate quarterback who throws with touch and has better arm strength than given credit for. He made some strong throws into the wind Sunday that were very impressive and has an advanced feel for the position and reading a defense.

No. 7 Taulia Tagovailoa, Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson. Committed to Alabama. When you’re talking about pure arm talent, not many can rip it like Tagovailoa. He’s another QB who was hurt with drops Sunday and was late on a few reads but had an overall solid workout that should get him to Dallas, Texas for the finals.

Elite 11 Finals: Weekend top performers, including Oklahoma commit Spencer Rattler, South Carolina commit Ryan Hilinski and Auburn commit Bo Nix

• Like Like x 2
  2. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015
    Hopeful that Hilinski will get a bump to 5 star at some point. His stock has been rising since his commitment.

The 2019 class could be the best in the history of our program.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Can't believe we don't have a QB in this camp.

I think we're still pursing Peter Parrish, but I'm not sure we land a second QB in this class.

Why is that kid coming from the west coast to play for a Will Muschamp offense? Does he have family ties? Makes no sense. Great pick up for Will, but again...it makes no sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    From what I've seen on film, which includes some of those listed above, the two best Dual Threat QBs on the field last year were Jalon Jones and the other 6'4" kid from IMG.

And, as history has shown, over and over again, it's not the talent a kid has that matters, it's how that talent is developed and utilized within an efficiently functioning offense that really matters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Well, the recruiting 'experts' disagree w/ you. Jalen is currently ranked the #10 DT QB in this class and the IMG kid, David Baldwin, is ranked lower at #13. Not sure where you're getting your info, but those two aren't even close to the top dual threat QBs - which is why they weren't at the Elite 11. Hell, Peter Parrish is ranked 9th - ahead of both Jones and Baldwin.

2019 Top Dual-Threat Quarterback Recruits

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He did get Dak over a bunch of higher ranked recruiting classes. Have to trust his opinion on which qb really has it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's looking like USCe is getting a good one in Hillinski. He was tearing it up out there. Hopefully he comes in and becomes a uga killer.

8. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Probably a good thing as wrong as the recruiting experts often are. Especially when it comes to QB's. Applebutterby and Del Rio and Driskel and ... were Elite 11 campers too. Dak Prescott, Mayfield and many others were not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    You're right. The 'experts' are wrong way more often than they are right. Tebow, Winston, Fromm, Watson, Mayfield, Newton, etc were all 4 & 5 star busts.... (please note the sarcasm).

I'll take the high 4-stars and 5-star players any day of the week vs. hoping that a 3-star pans out. Sorry, that's just me....

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Mayfield? I thought he was a WO.

• Like Like x 1
  11. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    For every 4/5 star that hits there's at least one that misses and probably at least one 3 or lower that hits, but I don't have time to actually verify that. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Mullen is probably the best developer of QB talent in the college ranks. No one has his track record of working with QBs, whether Smith, Tebow, Newton, Prescott, .... he gets kids drafted and in the pros

• Like Like x 1
  13. sharkey28

sharkey28 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    He was a 3 star walk on...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Jimbo Fisher has 4 QBs taken in the first round, including two #1 overall. Giving Mullen credit for Newton is like giving McElwain credit for Grier. But I get it. It makes us all feel better than we have the last 8 years, so let's just go with it....

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Well, there you have it. Let's just recruit 3-star QBs from now on and let Alabama, Ohio State, FSU, UGA, and all of our other rivals take the risky 4 and 5 stars.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If it were easy to spot qb talent, Bama may have had a 1st round draft pick over the last decade

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He can coach them and seems to have an eye for qb. talent whether it’s Tebow 5* or Dak

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  18. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Have to agree on Fisher, the guy made Blackman look decent.

As for coaching ability overall, I'll take Mullen all day long and twice on Saturdays. Mullen arguably did more with less while Jimbo did less with more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    I tend to agree. Jimbo is a great recruiter and always has a stable of good/very good QBs to work with. I know we're all supposed to hate him - and I think we do a good job of it. But if you take a step back, Fisher is a heck of a QB coach. He's an a-hole as a head coach, but he does a good job running his offense. Mullen is very similar (not the a-hole part! :D ), and I definitely agree he's had less to work with at MSU (not at UF though). Smith is probably his best 'project' (he'd never had made the NFL had Meyer/Mullen not gotten that Utah job). Dak is probably his second best project. The problem here is, at UF he shouldn't be working with a 'project' (which is exactly what Trask is....and Franks to a degree - although he was a 4-star he's not a DT QB). We need to improve our recruiting to where he's working with kids who are expected to be stars, like a Tebow or Newton. I like Jalen Jones and think he gets his ranking into the top 300, and hopefully a 'consensus' 4-star (he's only a 4-star on one of the services, 247 - but not the composite).

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    gumps have had quite a few 4/5 star busts at QB