Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Eliminate Lacrosse

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by bigsky rooter, May 10, 2019.

1. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Just think....

Three more bacons and we could wrap a few meatloaves!

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    That 2nd link is fantastic. I wonder if these financials have changed much with the inflows from the SEC network- which covers more softball, WBB, baseball, track, etc.
    It would be tough to break out those revenues by sport, and of course football drives the whole thing anyway. (Meaning- without SEC football, there is no SEC network.)

As someone who loves non-revenue sports, and is a CPA, I still say the best way to do Title 9 is to break out football and set it aside.
    Then make the rest of the sports equal in terms of scholarships, etc.

Because nothing compares to football in terms of interest and revenue. It's not even close.
    They provide a great experience for all other athletes so they should stand alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I don't know if that's quite accurate. The SEC, as a conference, added women's softball in 1997 for Title IX reasons. At that point, most of the schools, including UF, started softball teams. USCe might have been the only school with a team prior, but I'm not sure about that. Vandy is the only SEC team currently without a women's softball team.

What I think you'd likely see today is the SEC not just flat out vote to add a sport, but to establish the path for new sports to be added (probably 1 men/1 women at a time). For example, for women's lacrosse, assuming there's enough interest, they might say that in addition to UF and Vandy, other schools might have a 4-year period to start a program playing out of conference and then once a third of the schools have established team, the SEC would vote to add it, which would be consistent with what you said.

4. KelticGator

KelticGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not to question your intelligence or understanding of collegiate sports but you DO realize that Lacrosse is an equivalency sport with just 12.6 scholarships of aid available right? I'm guessing you didn't really do much research on this. I'm also guessing you don't understand how our athletic aid distribution needs to closely match our enrollment our enrollment ratio to provide equal opportunity. Football by itself has 85 male athletic scholarships. So your brilliant idea is to eliminate a female sport (that shares an existing field with soccer) and replace it with what? Equestrian? Water Polo? Fencing? Or what men's teams do you want to eliminate so you don't violate Title IX?

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. KelticGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Okay, but that is basically saying that athletic opportunity SHOULDN'T be equal which is the exact opposite of what Title IX requires. If the intent is to make male and female financial aid equal then you can't take out a sport that basically has more scholarships than all the other male sports put together and say . . . . well, they shouldn't count because that's your FAVORITE sport.

So basically, you are in favor of abolishing Title IX. That's fine but just say it. Then you can openly support getting rid of all the sports you want and don't have to pretend to care about gender equality.

And what does "They provide a great experience for all other athletes so they should stand alone." mean? That around the country athletes from all the other sports worship football players who get the best facilities, food, resources and support because football deserves it by making Fall Saturdays so darn fun? The non-football athletes enjoy feeling like second class citizens compared to football players because . . . well you know . . . football!!!

As a CPS you would probably know that the SEC Network is not breaking down their school payments per ratings and how much each sport from a school is shown and the ads that play during that broadcast. It's a lump sum. Any true Accountant would look at that list and Lacrosse wouldn't even be close to being cut. Based on that list the sports that need to go are:
    Track
    Women's Basketball
    Swimming
    Baseball
    Women's Volleyball

After that the combined Tennis programs, Softball and Gymnastics are the biggest losers. If we capped the losses a program can have to under $800K a year we'd only have like 6-9 sports at UF. Lacrosse would actually be one of them. You could probably salvage one or both of the swim teams if you broke them down separately.

6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Your post is wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin but let me try.

1) You say I support getting rid of sports in favor of football because it's my favorite sport. First- TRACK is my favorite sport. Track and Cross-country. I did those at UF.
    2) I DON'T SUPPORT getting rid of any sports. I want to add them. But I want to add men's sports too. I also want UF and others to add men's scholarships.
    3) I don't want to get rid of lacrosse. I specifically gave the OP bacon to show my disagreement.
    4) I thought it was obvious when I said that "THEY (meaning football) provides a great experience for all other sports." I meant that football pays the bills. It brings in the revenue that let the other sports, including my own beloved UF track team, do so many things. Like fly to the meets. Without football money the other sports don't go.

Here's the bottom line- my personal preferences have nothing to do with this. You act like that is the major driver of my post.
    That is ridiculous. The bottom line is FOOTBALL brings in the dough.

And while I love women's sports, I also love other sports too and I believe in fairness.
    So I think that Title 9 should be amended to disregard football (because it's the cash cow) but after that let all other sports be equal.

So women's and men's track should be equal. Right now the women get 18 schollies, the men 12.6. That's not equal.

I'll ignore the rest of the post for brevity's sake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. KelticGator

Apr 3, 2007
    For brevity's sake? Seriously? JK

Listen, the ACTUAL bottom line here is you can't support Title IX and propose removing football (the largest impact on scholarship ratio BY FAR) from the equation. If you favor removing football from how athletic aid is calculated then it undercuts the whole point of Title IX. Thus you are opposed to Title IX and what it stands for. And it's naive to think there aren't some costs (both for infrastructure and support services) that aren't fully or at least partially absorbed by the University because it is a school activitiy.

But back to my main point. As an example, you can't open a new store and say your workforce will be equally comprised of men and women . . . except all the sales counter girls (the largest individual position at your store) will only be open to women because . . . women are prettier and they sell more items than men. That's FINE but then don't bother telling us the part where you want a 50/50 gender workforce. It's hypocritical!!!

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  8. wearetheboys

wearetheboys Premium Member

Dec 6, 2015
    I vote for curling

• Like Like x 2
  9. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Should be something for everybody.

10. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    In that case I vote for beer guzzling. I could have been all-pro in that back in the day.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. gatornharlem

gatornharlem Recruit

Dec 16, 2018
    Our AD Scot Stricklin was interviewed on Pat Dooley’s “Dooley Noted” radio show and topic was changes in UF athletics in very near future, i.e. football stadium renovation and addition of another sport to the program. Stricklin said the next athletic sport to be added will definitely be a women’s sport before they add a new men’s sport. Which makes sense. Right now athletic department has equal men’s and women’s scholarships and meets Title IX requirements. In order to add men’s soccer the athletic department would then be required to add another women’s sport or else men’s athletic scholarships>women’s athletic scholarships.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I'd like to see us start taking these steps in the near future. Beach volleyball makes a lot of sense, but we could also get the numbers up with some other smaller (and cheaper) sports like women's bowling. Do what we need to do to get another men's sport on campus and give us a better shot at the Directors Cup.