Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Eliminate Lacrosse

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by bigsky rooter, May 10, 2019.

1. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Personally, I don’t see how getting rid of an up and coming sport would help anything. But whatever.

2. timthibault

timthibault Junior

Aug 25, 2018
    Certainly that would have been a better match for UF than lacrosse. I agree with the OP that it was yet another poor decision by a certain vastly overrated former AD (whose blind adherents populate this board and rain shame on anyone who criticizes him).

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  3. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Barefoot only!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    That makes going over jumps a whole lot more challenging. I've seen it done but it looks more like controlled falling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tigator2019

tigator2019 All American

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    27 bacon strips on this one. Is that a record?
    probably the most successful start to a women’s sport ever. nearly unheard of success in the first eight years of the program

compliance with title nine laws

gator family donates the money for the stadium

four pages of posts, 99.9% Supporting this sport.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Why don't you tell us more about how you feel about us "blind adherents"?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. timthibault

timthibault Junior

Aug 25, 2018
    Ummm because I said what I intended to say the first time?

Lol

8. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Umm.....

Being fully aware of what you said, ... When I asked you to tell us more, it's pretty easy to see that I was asking for an EXPLANATION of why you consider us posters here to be "blind adherents", who "rain shame"?

So, back to my original question..... care to explain?

9. timthibault

timthibault Junior

Aug 25, 2018
    It’s pretty easy to see you were being confrontational. That you were merely requesting an explanation is a matter of interpretation. Also, it was a straightforward observation that has been made many times by other posters and needs no further explanation. In your response you said “us blind adherents,” so apparently you’ve self identified as such a poster. Based on that it seems you already know what I’m talking about, and therefore your stated desire for further explanation is entirely fatuous. Have a nice day!

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. tigator2019

tigator2019 All American

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    I’m a <nearly> blind adherent.
    Foley = Best Ever

adding Lacrosse truly was brilliant

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You are pretty much the only one that thinks you are right. Iowa accurately has pointed out your equating a club sport to sanctioned D1 competition. Club sports can be very high quality, but let's not even remotely compare them to the real thing....which is what you were doing.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I just upped it to 30 bacon strips.......just because I could.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I love watching women's lacrosse. Once got to see the Gators play Northwestern up in Evanston, just 45 minutes from here.

• Like Like x 4
  14. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I would agree. I think they need to take the 85 football scholarships out of the Title IX equation, since it's not really realistic for schools to have a women's football team. And then split the athletic scholarships evenly by gender throughout all the other sports.

Almost all the other sports that come to mind have a male/female counterpart where they can evenly split scholarships.

I'm not sure what entity actually funds athletics scholarships, but if it's the universities and not the athletic departments, maybe fund just the 85 football scholarships with athletics department funds.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Correct. Vandy and UF are the only SEC schools that officially sponsor women's lacrosse.

I believe most, if not all, the other SEC schools, including UK, have women's lacrosse teams, but they are all club teams, which means they are non-varsity sports and get no funding from the universities. But I suspect the plan is for it to becomes an SEC varsity sport in the next few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    That makes a lot of sense.

17. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

This has been a fun thread to read thanks to an historically insane OP. Sort of like watching Wayne and Garth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    "Excellent". Schawing.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    Title IX had a very worthy goal that has been implemented very poorly and caused harm to men's minor sports in the rush to balance the numbers. I am involved in rowing and number of schools have dropped men's rowing and added women's.

Title IX has almost certainly increased the number of women who participate in sports. I think you are making a generalization that is not fully accurate in regard to men being more interested than women in participating in sports. That may have been true a decade or so ago but high school girls are getting close to parity with boys in high school. This may be a case of Title IX doing some good. Based on the data reported in this article, Inside the Numbers on Girls' Participation in High School Sports, 42.7% of high school athletes are girls.

I am quite certain that virtually all large universities are in compliance, especially the Big 10. Most (7) of the Big 10 schools use rowing as a large part of their Title IX balancing. The Michigan rowing team has almost 300 women on it, for example. One of the tricks the universities do is report the numbers at the opening and end of the reporting period for each sports season. They report the number of women who come to the ice cream social call out for the sport as being on the team. They wait to report the men on their teams at the end of the reporting period to let attrition reduce the numbers.

Lacrosse seems to be growing in popularity everywhere in high schools. It seems like a decent addition to the sports program at UF and, as others have noted, UF is probably ahead of many of the SEC schools in having the sport.

• Informative Informative x 3
  20. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    It absolutely is. It’s pretty big here in high school.

• Agree Agree x 1