Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Eliminate Lacrosse

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by bigsky rooter, May 10, 2019.

1. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    ^^^Not “fake scholarships”, but fake “preferred walk-on” status to obtain preference in admission when perhaps lacking academic credentials for admission. This happened in both men’s and women’s sports programs.

I also don’t think the statement that “men are much more interested in playing sports” is accurate as well. Female students appear to have high interest in HS sports programs and more women are enrolled to obtain college degrees nationally than men at this time. If you have more female students than male students enrolled in your college, how can you not offer similar, if not greater, scholarship opportunities to ladies sports, if truly an academic institution?

Women never had a fair playing field to play sports in college until now and interest appears to be growing each year. The youth leagues where I live are filled with girls soccer, lacrosse, softball, tennis, ... Times and stereotypes are changing.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Game Recap: Lacrosse | Friday, May 10, 2019 | Katie Callahan UF
    Gators Advance with Win over Johns Hopkins
    Florida topped the Blue Jays 16-9 to advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament
    Box Score | Highlights

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – The No. 19 Florida lacrosse team defeated Johns Hopkins 16-9 to move on to face No. 3 seed North Carolina in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
    Florida moved to 8-8 in NCAA Tournament play with the win and moved to 6-1 all-time against Johns Hopkins.
    Shannon Kavanagh led the way on the offensive front for Florida, totaling eight points on five goals and three assists on the day. Sydney Pirreca and Lindsey Ronbeck each followed with three goals, while Madi Hall and Brianna Harris pitched in two as well.

The Gator defense was locked in from the start, causing seven turnovers on the day. Caroline Benitez and Cara Trombetta led the way with two caused turnovers apiece. The entire defensive unit held Johns Hopkins to 9-of-27 shooting (.333) on the day as well.
    Gators Advance with Win over Johns Hopkins - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 3
  3. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I was basing this just on my observations from my time in HS and raising two girls.

Also, my wife and I walk around a nice multi-use park our city built where kids are always out practicing either soccer or lacrosse. Just observing again, I'd guess there are 4 boys out practicing to every 1 girl. (Note: I mean kids out practicing on their own to get better, not kids practicing in team practice).

Golf league I play in, 3 women like 30 guys.

Walk by any basketball court. Nothing but guys out playing.

etc. etc. etc.

Again, just observationally, I think boys are more interested in sports than girls - on a % scale. Certainly a lot of women are very interested in sports.

The goal should be to fair for opportunities, not necessarily by forcing it through sports. Like I said, I support the concept full heartedly, just not the execution. I don't know the solution, maybe give out general scholarships to make up the difference.

I don't know where the until "now" statement is coming from. Other than football and wrestling, most high schools have had the same sports for girls as they did for boys going back to at least the 70s if not longer. In the early 80s when I was at UF we pretty much had all the same sports then as we do now with just lacrosse and volleyball having been added (I think).

And I bet those fields are also full of boys soccer and lacrosse teams. Seems unfair those kids won't have an equal chance at getting a scholarship in those sports.

Here are the best sports for a college scholarship

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bowiegator

Bowiegator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    OP. You state “adds little or nothing to UF athletics”. I have not read the responses just your original post. I believe this was added for a lot of reasons other than your reasons of why we should drop it. Academics would be one of the main reasons. Top academic institutions have certain sports (I am not saying a bad school can add lacrosse and become good) and lacrosse is one of them. When I say academic, there are a ton of branches of that including the simple one of having a lot of smart lacrosse graduates from states and Northeast prep schools graduate each year that can lead to regular non athletes in the future applying to UF. When I was at UF I never met an Andover or Exeter grad. Maybe now we get a grad from those type of schools now. Maybe this sport is more about boosting academic rankings?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I don’t need to check back. I did say Div I. I assumed you would know what that was. Apparently I was wrong. The fact remains my information was correct. ;)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

The facts actually state otherwise!

7. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My daughter played D-1 lacrosse and we've been ardent Gator Lax fans since before their first year. She was around 12 at the time. Her club coach once coached Mandee O'Leery and we got to meet the team at a William&Mary game. Got a poster signed by each player on the team and some swag in the mail.

Want girls in sports? More stuff like that. "It's unequal until you catch up" is a logical fallacy IMO.

As for the sport, I'd kill a lot of guy sports before getting to women's lacrosse. Fastest sport on two feet, chicks with sticks, incredible athleticism, quite physical, and damn if UF hasn't been a contender since Year 2. Superb home field with very good fanbase, fastest growing sport in the country most years. We're a leader on the right side of the curve. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Also, as was mentioned earlier, Title IX is about equality of opportunity, not teams.

Our local school system's Title IX director tried that crap on us. 5 minutes of googling and we found out he (the expert) was wrong. Title IX allows a 3% IIRC variance of opportunity. After an information request, we discovered it was a 20% gap between boys and girls.

As someone that did the fight, I can promise...it would have never, ever, NEVER happened without the threat of loss of federal funding. Those in power, don't give power, you have to take it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Im one of the biggest gator women’s sports fan on this board and I agree with most of this. Title 9 has some good things but it has penalized men’s sports too much.
    Theres not enough common sense and too much govt bean counting.
    But I love our lacrosse team!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigsky rooter

bigsky rooter Freshman

Aug 3, 2017
    I think the decision to eliminate wrestling was (1979) a sacrifice to both the football gods (the football team got the space) and title 9 which was passed earlier. My memory was that the reason given was budgetary.

11. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Given the success of the Lacrosse team, this seems like an odd thread. I'm not a lacrosse fan ,but it has grown immensely in popularity in Florida.

As for adding equestrian, that doesn't even seem like a sport to me.
    Beach volleyball, sure..

12. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    with equestrian, seems like the horses are the athletes anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Rifle can be a coed sport, Kentucky's team is coed, UF should definitely get it on that.

Equestrian is the only SEC sponsored sport UF isn't involved in, need to change that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    People from Iowa are awesome. I don’t know what’s more fun, keeping this going or the idiotic reactions. Lol

This totally made me chuckle!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    You’re embarrassing yourself. What’s next? I’m rubber. You’re glue? Stop. Lol my ribs are killing me!

16. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

\\

I quoted your original post--just so you see you did not mention club at all. What they play is club--not D1 NCAA Lacrosse which is the subject of this thread. All you have to do is read what you wrote and admit you made a mistake.

I know some really great people from Kentucky who aren't afraid to admit their errors especially when it so obvious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    You took the time to copy all that so maybe you will take the time to let this soak in...lol

I never said anything other than Div I. Of course I expounded upon it and mentioned the SELC once you started arguing like a clown because it didn’t soak in.

Does UK and many other schools have Div I Lacrosse teams? Yes. So you’re wrong.... again. It’s embarrassing I know, but you will live. Lol

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Club =\= div 1

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. thekentuckygator

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    My wife, the mathematician would love that! Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This might be the dumbest argument here this week, and that’s saying something.

• Agree Agree x 1