Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Eliminate Lacrosse

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by bigsky rooter, May 10, 2019.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 All American

Oct 10, 2008
    Florida lacrosse draws good crowds too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Check your research. UK here in Lexington has men’s and women’s Div I lacrosse. That’s SEC. so do many schools. It’s becoming more popular every year. UF was cutting edge for a big school to add it when they did.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TheRaid

TheRaid Premium Member

OP needs to do more research. LAX is gaining in popularity. Here in South Alabama, it is becoming HUGE. Also, it is a great fit at UF. Florida is a state with a lot of growth from northern areas. LAX is huge in the NE. It fits with the culture of UF as well as an SEC Ivy so to speak. We should add crew, beach volleyball, men's soccer, and equestrian. Heck, Alabama has crew. Auburn has equestrian. We have elite horse country not 25 miles from campus. Florida girls and their fine horses from Ocala go to Auburn and Texas A&M. Beaches are everywhere in Florida. The great Florida girls go to FSU and LSU. And, oh, by the way, Louisiana doesn't have any beaches. They have dirty marsh. LSU being great at beach volleyball is kinda like if UF was great at snow skiing. Keep LAX, but add some others, too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    We should have Ice Hockey, selling a bunch of Canadians kids on coming down to play hockey and also be able to hit the beach is a win win.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Lacrosse is on fuego and has been since they started the program. Eliminating it would be pathetically ill-advised. Can't jump on that bandwagon.

Go Gator lacrosse gals

Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    I’m happy to say that this poster is probably the only person on the planet who wants to eliminate gators lacrosse.

It wil never happen, should not have even brought up, and makes zero sense to eliminate it in the scheme of Florida sports. by the way the very first recruiting class ever at Florida for lacrosse was number one. Number one in the first class ever.

You can discuss title nine if you wish now.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Since UF football has a central campus location (where land is precious) we can over burden the grass practice fields during summer two a day practices. The lacrosse fields have been used for football practices during two a days.

So lacrosse has helped UF football. Football programs like Bama who's practice fields are farther from the main campus are not as pressed for practice field space as UF is.

Even after we move the baseball field to build the football center we still will have only two grass practice fields in our central campus location. Hence continuing to have the lacrosse field to practice on during two a days still can take excessive wear and tear off of our 2 central campus practice grass fields. This may help with injuries also related to an over used field.

Bottomline is lacrosse helps UF football and football pays the bills. The law requires spending on women's sports so why not spend it on a woman's sport that helps UF football?

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ocalaman

ocalaman Freshman

Jun 30, 2018
    D1 programs get 12 scholarships and much like baseball normally divide them among their players. There are 87 D1 women's lacrosse programs in the NCAA. I like to watch and UF has been very successful.

• Like Like x 1
  10. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Those are club teams. UK does not play lacrosse at the D-1 level.

The OP is way off base on his idea--but Vandy is the only other SEC school with lacrosse. SC was talking about and actually announced they were starting but never did.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. The original post also missed the fact that most of the elite public universities have women's lacrosse programs.

*That* is a primary reason we added one. If you're following athletics and unaware of the academic push for Top Ten (now, Top Five) status, you're missing a big part of the lacrosse story. Using the overrated but highly influential US News rankings:

#1 University of California--Los Angeles; women's lacrosse? yes.

#2 University of California--Berkeley; women's lacrosse? yes.

#3 University of Virginia; women's lacrosse? yes.

#4 University of Michigan--Ann Arbor; women's lacrosse? yes.

#5 University of California--Santa Barbara; women's lacrosse? club sport.

#5 University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill; women's lacrosse? yes.

#7 University of California--Irvine; women's lacrosse? club sport.

#8 University of Florida; women's lacrosse? yes.

#8 Georgia Institute of Technology; women's lacrosse? club sport.

#10 College of William and Mary; women's lacrosse? yes.

#10 University of California--Davis; women's lacrosse? yes.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Yes they are club teams. And yes as I stated they play in division I of the SELC. As do many other universities in the SEC. It’s becoming more prevalent in HS as well. Happy to educate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. 1oldgator

1oldgator All American

Sep 14, 2014
    Top 5 in 5 of the 10 years the program has been in existence, only once outside of top 12 and that was inaugural season and they finished 18th, may want to check your odds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan Sophomore

Apr 12, 2007
    Men’s Soccer and Wrestling!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

No, you did not say SELC. You stated SEC--check back to your original post.

16. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    This Ocala kid is all for adding Equestrian. The Horse Capital of the World is Ocala. UF has a strong Veterinarian program that could help support it. The Percy Track infield might be a possibility for a few events in the right season since soccer has moved. Ocala already has a growing US Equestrian Training facility and soon will have a very large World Equestrian Center that could further host many collegiate championships, hotel included. South Florida, especially Wellington, has a strong Equestrian following with Polo and Show Jumping. The point is the talent in Florida is there or on the way to support any of these sports.
    Florida high schools are already seeing growth in lacrosse, beach volleyball, and a budding future with equestrian. I've talked to several Ocala girls who know the easiest way to get a sport scholarship is in equestrian. And one other idea, if not surfing, how about water skiing???

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Meanwhile.....

Our Gators Lacrosse team just defeated Johns-Hopkins to advence to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament.

We'll face North Carolina on Saturday

• Like Like x 4
  18. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    They won't get any calls against UNC, freaking cheats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    It is all about the Title IX mess. IF football turned into what it truly is - semi-professional revenue producing sport - and was eliminated from the books, which tries to "equalize" amateur sports resources, then all this angst magically goes away. It is that simple.

I said simple, not easy. Getting football relegated to an ambassador arm of a university, may kill the goose that lays the golden egg (the money and/or who runs it).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    So since the OP was off base on so many levels (the most glaring of which was the statement that we would never be a top 10 team.. lol. Wow... talk about not doing your research), that I am going to just rant on Title IX.

I like the concept, but the execution is just wrong. By trying to force schools into splitting scholy's evenly between men's and women's sports they have in fact done great damage to non-revenue men's sports like soccer and wrestling.

And let's face it, in general, men are much more interested in playing sports than women. Apparently hundreds of women's scholarships go unused in golf alone. Look at this scandal where rich people were paying to get their kids into schools. Some of them were fake scholarships to woman's sports like crew. Didn't see any fake baseball scholarships being handed out.

I am glad that Title IX has pushed schools to add woman's sports. I truly enjoy watching many of them. But it just seems wrong to punish men's sports to make that goal happen.

I also wonder how some schools are in compliance with Title IX, especially Big 10 schools that seem to have many more men's sports than SEC schools.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2