Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Eliminate Lacrosse

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by bigsky rooter, May 10, 2019.

1. bigsky rooter

bigsky rooter Freshman

Aug 3, 2017
    I am putting this in the Swamp Gas section because it covers several sports and points out what I see as a problem with the athletic department. Numerous decisions by the former AD were very poor. I think adding lacrosse was the worst non-hiring decision he made.
    First, congratulations to the team on winning their tournament and the bid to NCAA's which start today.
    However, lacrosse is a terrible fit @ UF. It is not an SEC sports. The closest (and only ) other SEC school is Vanderbilt. The rest of the schools in the conference are Cincinnati (a big rivalry ? who Uf beat for the championship), Temple, Conn. and Ecu. The numbers for lacrosse are interesting. The roster consists of 38 players; 2 from Florida. The leading state for UF players are MD and NY (12 ea). Therefore, over 1 million $ in Out-of-state tuition goes to 36 players. There is no other team that compares to this. For example: Softball 24 recruits, 50 % from Florida: soccer 29 players, 59 % from Florida.
    The roster size is the 2nd highest for any sports program @ Uf. Men's track & field lists over 40 but these include cross country and 1 football player. The fact that lacrosse is mainly a NE sports requires much higher expenses on recruiting (per recruit) travel and travel for games. (I'm excluding football for several reasons).
    I think the decision to add lacrosse was a personal decision by 1 individual and adds little or nothing to UF athletics. In addition the probability to win a national championship or even be a consistent top ten team are slim to none. Finally, hope the team wins today.

• Disagree x 39
    • Come On Man x 6
    • Dislike x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. upstategator

upstategator All American

Nov 1, 2017
    If this is an attempt to sacrifice something to please the football gods I don't think it will work.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. HayGator

HayGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Do all LAX players get scholarships?

4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    We had to add ladies (not men’s) lacrosse for Title IV purposes. The number of men’s scholarships and women’s must be similar. If you eliminate women’s lacrosse, please also tell us what male scholarship sport or sports you are also cutting. Stanford and many of the top sports cup schools offer additional sports that other schools do not. From a branding perspective, it creates visibility in the NE and NY area for our school, which is a good thing.

• Agree x 9
    • Winner x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Funny x 1
  6. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    I hope they win. Get rid of them. ?
    If anything, UF needs to add more sports. I'd like to see women's beach volleyball added ASAP please.

• Agree x 5
    • Winner x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative x 1
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I mean they are a top 20 program and conference champs. Seems they are getting the hang of it.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    This is exactly right. And the SEC has talked about adding Women's Lacrosse as a way to balance out expansion into Men's Soccer. These things move slow so we might be 10-15 years ahead of the curve.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Sophomore

Jan 1, 2013
    Palatka FL
    Women's Lacrosse splits 12.6 scholarships among its players. While it was for a long time considered an NE sport, the numbers in Florida are skyrocketing. I think it was good that we added the program.

• Winner x 9
    • Agree x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Now we're talking!! Women's beach volleyball and women's professional surfing are the best!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I don't think UF pays more for athletes from out of state to come here on athletic scholarships, do they? No idea where that concept came from.

Also, lacrosse is probably the fastest growing sport in the country. While Vandy may be the only SEC school with women's lacrosse, others will start to add it and it will probably be a conference wide women's sport in a few years.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They only allot 12 scholarships I think, so most on the team are partials, or academic scholarships.

I do think there has been an issue finding a good conference home for the program.

But the flip argument I would make is that it is a sport that gives the university great exposure in a region and educational class of the country we might not reach many other ways. The teams that play skew to the northeast, upper crust schools (with exceptions obviously), and schools that we would want to be associated with given our long term academic goals. We regularly play schools like Johns Hopkins, Cornell, Yale, and the upper end ACC schools. As much visibility as football and basketball give us nationally, it’s still good for other sports to help us in that regard in other ways.
    I would love to see us add beach volleyball, but that does nothing for us exposure wise - it’s the same folks we always play in other sports.

From a fan perspective though, I do think beach volleyball would be more popular. At the time lacrosse came on board though, it wasn’t an option - it didn’t become a championship sport until 2015.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. TJHooker

TJHooker Junior

Jul 31, 2014
    Highly doubtful. Most of the non revenue sports get minimal scholarships that need to be shared. Track and Cross Country gets something like 8. So, athletes get like a 1/16th scholarship an so on....

14. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Sophomore

Oct 14, 2017
    Wait... all that needs to happen for the SEC to have men's soccer is to add women's lacrosse??!!!!! That should happen immediately!!! And since we have lacrosse can we have soccer now??

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    You are close. Track/ XC gets 12.6 for men, and 18 for women.
    We used to take 27 to Track conference (its probably higher now) so that's how much splitting went on.

But yes- all sports outside football and both basketballs split scholarships for most participants. the superstars like Grant Holloway get fulls, but there's a lot of splitting going on. Even for higher profile sports like baseball/ softball.

Here are some scholarship numbers...
    Men
    Baseball 11.7
    Golf 4.5
    Swimming 9.9

Women
    Golf 6
    Lacrosse 12
    Soccer 14
    Tennis 8
    Softball 12

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    watch some beach volley ball and you may change your mind on exposure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think we can pretty much add any sport we want whenever we want. We actually already have several sports, including ice hockey and rowing, but I think they're more club sports and those athletes pretty much pay for everything.

But to add scholarship sports, you have to offer an equal number of men's and women's scholarships. You've already got almost 100 dedicated to men's football and basketball, so they have to offer that many for women.

The issue becomes cost. Costs for the facilities, travel, training, uniforms, coaches, etc. Travel expenses get a lot higher when you have to travel outside the SEC.

I suspect UF would like to be able to add men's soccer and lacrosse as partial scholarship sports. The problem is they can only do that if they add partial scholarships for 2 women's programs as well. I think it will happen in time.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Sophomore

Oct 14, 2017
    Ok. It appears Kentucky and South Carolina have men's soccer programs, so there is way. I hope they get moving in that direction.

• Like Like x 2
  19. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Legend

Nov 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Eliminate?? :eek: Please not!

5CBEA613-054C-4AE4-B5BF-20D371C011D1.jpeg