Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Eli Manning to become NFL's highest earning player EVER?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, Mar 15, 2019.

1. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Gatorborn

Gatorborn Sophomore

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    I will say I met him once and he was a really nice guy.
    So he's got that going for him.
    Gunga-lagunga.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Not bad for a guy that always looks like he just walked into a sliding glass door.

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
    Haha! He does look perpetually startled.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Wow. I don't get that at all. He's 38. If I were New York I'd be looking for another QB, especially given how the last few seasons have played out.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 All American

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    The article is using career earnings so it’s clickbait. If he stays to get his $17m salary in 2019 + $5m bonus he’ll pass Peyton. This isn’t sayings they’ll sign him to some record deal this year, which the title seems to imply.

He was hyped coming out of college, rookie contracts really started getting crazy right before that, plus inflation between Peyton and his entry into the NFL. He just got paid well out of the gate and through his career. He also won a Super Bowl earlier in his career than Peyton and won 2 before Peyton did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    He was able to do something his older brother was not able to do. Beat the Gators. Unfortunately I saw it in person. Then he came into Ray Jay and whooped up on the Bucs in the playoffs. I was there as well. He has won 2 super bowls. Not a bad resume. That being said, the Giants are a business, and they have to plan for the future. It makes sense that they would plan accordingly, and it's no disrespect to Eli. If I was a decision maker for the Giants, (which will never happen), I'd probably make the same decision. Assuming I had that much $$$ to work with.

8. gatorlaxn

gatorlaxn All American

Aug 28, 2014
    Atlanta Ga
    Who is this Eli and what does he do?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Beats me, I don’t now. Think he played for Ole Miss.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015
    Many people blame Eli for the offense. But I thought thought you needed an offensive line to block for your QB for him to be successful?

I agree with you though. It’s time for Eli and the Giants to move on. I like Eli and think he’s a good QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

This would have never happened if the Giants had half a brain, and moved on about five years ago or more.

And they wonder why they haven't mattered in the NFC East for that long??

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I get that maybe he still wants to play, because football is a fun sport to play. But I'm thinking money is not a problem for the Manning family. Unless their financial advisers are really bad. Plus, it's kind of cool to be able to walk upright after all those 280 pound monsters have been coming after you, and who knows how many concussions you have suffered. Sometimes it's time to call it a day, even when you don't want to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    Yeah, I think Eli is a good person and a good QB. I really felt that Peyton was making a mistake by coming back with his spinal issues.... Thought he should have headed out of the NFL rather than risk it... But it turned out ok for him. Think he's a good guy too.
    GO GATORS!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorlaxn

gatorlaxn All American

Aug 28, 2014
    Atlanta Ga
    I just did some googling, and I think there was an Archie Manning that played there. I just don’t know...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. bobbyd

bobbyd Freshman

Jan 10, 2019

I thought you needed an arm to play QB also

Eli can't throw a number of routes now...all the ones that require arm strength. Deep outs, streaks, posts all gone

Its sad too see when they need a deep ball the ball lands 10 yards behind OBJ running open. It was so bad that a one point the best chance of completing a deep ball was OBJ throwing it to Saquon Barkley.

Trading OBJ makes sense because they don't have a QB who can get him the ball but trading him helps the rebuild the most since by the time they put a team in place

...OBJ will have wasted at least 2/3 years at max dollars.

(And God knows those 2/3 years would have been filled with more "incidents" )

The Giants have 2 first rounders now...the first one will be spent on Haskins or Murray

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I guess longevity helps. His contract is essentially a lifetime achievement award. While Eli Manning is a virtual certainty for election to the NFL Hall of Fame, he's way past his prime and probably isn't even among the top 10 quarterbacks in the league anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Legend

Aug 11, 2010
    Surprised he’s made more than Brady.