Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

EJ: Ready if needed

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BillyBall89, Oct 11, 2019.

1. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    I trust one of those guys, kind of, to move my offense on a week-to-week basis.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    Out of Johnson, Grossman, Palmer, I would only take one of them over the current lineup.

IMO, kind of overrated kid, but not bad, combined with a system that didn't fit him and destroyed his confidence. I still remember Addazio having poor Brantley run the read-option every other play and it get blown up everytime because nobody feared Brantley running.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Haha 5 of the 6 are active in the NFL and the other got in a tussle with Gerald Willis.

4. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    Lets not pretend that becoming an NFL tight end has any reflection on your ability as a college quarterback.

5. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    For deepest QB roster I would go with:

Danny Wuerffel - one of greatest college QBs ever; Heisman winner, NC

Terry Dean - Heisman front runner until benched; SECC

Eric Kresser - incredible QB rating; such a good passer that SOS said he wondered in warm ups why Eric wasn’t starting; transferred to Marshall and won Div I-AA NC

Brian Schottenheimer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    I dont think that's a fair comparison considering both Driskel and Brissett transferred to greener pastures where their talents could be on full display for scouts, where as Brantley got stuck between checked-out Urban, Charlie overrated Weis and Muschamp for his whole career.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Conversely, players like Paxton Lynch, Blaine Gabbert (APB for GabbertGator?), Jake Locker, Jimmy Clausen, EJ Manuel, Blake Bortles, Geno Smith, Brock Osweiler, and Johnny Manziel at least got shots in the NFL.

Some were good in college, others were bad but at least drafted for physical potential.

What I'm saying is, if you have some sort of value physically or mentally at QB you will get a shot in the NFL. We're literally looking at Gardner Minshew, who was | | close to calling it quits and become a grad assistant for Saban before going to play for Mike Leach at WSU and now, a folk hero in DUVAAAL.

I'm lightening my stance on Brantley because now I truly believe that he was never meant to be the guy anyway, and that fans were lied to. We're basing all his potential and HS record breaking stats from a class 2B Trinity Catholic (in 2007), but he gets a really soft landing for his UF tenure because of his name and family legacy at UF.

8. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    IIRC, Brantley did make the Ravens as an UDFA, but didn't make the final 53 man roster. So I think he was better than a lot of people think. But I also think he was broken mentally from the injuries and everything that happened at UF. And the NFL is not the place to 'get yourself together', they expect you to be that when you show up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I felt sorry for Brantley, particularly after our idiot Chimp of a coach destroyed him, especially in the Mizzou game. That was disgraceful.

But on topic, I have an odd feeling we see a lot of him against the corn dogs.

10. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    As in, see a lot of Jones.

11. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    We might see more of Jones than some expect. He handled his work against Auburn well and CDM might design a game plan that uses EJs wheels as an advantage - something no team really has any film of.

i was impressed by How much more command of the game he had against Auburn vs UT Martin. He may be almost ready to break out.

will be interesting to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    I agree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. traveling gator

traveling gator Freshman

Mar 7, 2017
    I just want to say that I concur with this post 100%.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. concreteguy_21

concreteguy_21 VIP Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Upstate SC
    Me too.
    I'm not sure how OK Trask's knee really is, or will be. Can he move laterally tomorrow?? I have a feeling EJ will be seeing some meaningful snaps tomorrow.

15. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    He looked very good. Something happened to him soon after that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Might catch heat for this, but depending on the talent at other positions, I would take Rex over any QB in UF history.

17. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

I think that Mullen is going to be using EJ more than a lot of people think against the Tigers...

When he's in the game, it seems to open up the running game a bit ...and ...

He's silenced a lot of his critics...the kid also has an arm on him as well!

18. Atl_Gatr

Atl_Gatr All American

Oct 5, 2007
    I think you can’t forget Treon if we are talkin about the greats.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    And the running game really picked up when he was in there against Auburn as well. So I’m inclined to agree with you. I think we will see EJ.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Every scholarship QB CDM signs may not be a starter but every one should be capable of moving the chains consistently. EJ will have his opportunities - sooner or later.