Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Efe Abogidi

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by tampajack1, May 26, 2022.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I haven’t heard anything about him in the last few days, but he looks like the perfect fit for us as a 6’10” big man who’s a quick twitch big man with NBA upside that is an excellent rebounder, defender and free throw shooter and can step outside and hit the 3. Having a group like CC, Efe and Fudge on the floor at the same time would seem to give the Gators an interior defense that it hasn’t had since Noah, Horford and Brewer. As of sometime last week, it was down to Arizona, Florida and Maryland or returning to Washington State for Efi. Florida was the only finalist that had not yet gotten a visit from him. And yet, it’s a finalist. Arizona got a commitment yesterday from a top European 7 footer which gives them at least 3 legit big men for next season without Efi. Does anyone know anything else about the situation?

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. ooogabooga

ooogabooga Junior

May 10, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    • Agree x 5
    • Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Yup. Reed didn’t think he could compete. Scared money don’t make money :emoji_eyes:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Have you seen Reed play? I have only seen a few highlights, but he looked to me to have more of a horizontal game than a vertical game. In other words, he could handle the ball very well for a guy his size, but he wasn’t getting up in the air very well to finish plays. Efe, on the other hand, is a quick leaper, rebounder and shot blocker who also has nice form on his perimeter shot. If Efe comes to Florida and is good enough to play his way into the NBA draft after one year, that would be great for the Gators.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. ooogabooga

ooogabooga Junior

May 10, 2019
    upload_2022-5-26_13-58-42.png

Yeah you're right... Who wants a 6-10 220 freshman that can handle the ball and shoot threes. I get it you want more ESPN highlight dunks. Sure.

I change my mind I'm with you guys. Get a one year rental who delivers highlight dunks!!!!

So 2023 season Alex Fudge at 185 lbs Junior could be the only returning front court player... Yeah you guys make total sense!

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. rzinger

rzinger Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't think we were talking about what might have been, but what could be possible.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    You exude anger. That’s unfortunate. I want a guy who can play defense and rebound. We will get that in spades with Efe. Efe actually has 3 years of eligibility left. Reed has 4. Both likely want to go to the NBA as soon as possible. I want the guy who can excel this coming season and make this team better. My somewhat educated guess is that guy is Efe, not Reed.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. russ21

russ21 Premium Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Efe is likely going to Maryland. I think Fudge is who scared off Reed, which was still probably the right choice for us. Higher upside, one of the elite athletes & defenders in the country and he’s actually younger than Reed still despite being a class ahead of him

• Like Like x 3
  10. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    No Efe way!

• Funny Funny x 6
  11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Russ, have you seen something about Efe likely going to Maryland?

12. russ21

russ21 Premium Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Just that Maryland feels they’re in pole position here, could just be optimism but I haven’t seen anything on our end. Hopefully theyre wrong and things are moving here behind the scenes because I agree he’s a great fit

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. rserina

rserina GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    I really liked Reed and thought he would have been great given what Golden wants to do, whether Princeton motion, flex, or the other high-low, double post stuff. He really is super skilled already and has terrific size. His departure was disappointing.

But you are right that he and Abogodi are very different players. Reed does not necessarily have the physicality or athleticism to give us many minutes at the 5 yet, while (assuming he is fully healthy) Abogodi would insure we have 40 solid minutes of post play between him and CC.

I also wonder if Fudge were not the reason for Reed leaving. Reed is a little bigger and more skilled, but Fudge is far more athletic, plus IIRC they are almost the exact same age and have the same number of years to play, but Fudge has the benefit of a year of SEC play under his belt.

• Like Like x 5
  14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    All players are one year rentals now. :(

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Any idea if and when Efe is taking an official visit here?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    True, especially when you have 13 players on scholarship. There’s only so much playing time to divvy up.

17. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t. He has been training in West Palm Beach or thereabouts, so it’s not a big deal to hop over to Gainesville. My guess is that if he visits, we get him. I also suspect that if we get him, he and CC both start.

• Like Like x 1
  18. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    And then Fudge and Felder immediately request release. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. coachsayre2

coachsayre2 Freshman

May 23, 2022
    Efe not taking a visit to Florida speaks volumes for the Gator’s chances of landing him. Now if he decides to visit, then the chances will increase drastically. Until then, don’t get your hopes up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. potomacgator

potomacgator GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Maryland's center, Wahab, just transferred back to Georgetown after one year at Maryland, leaving an opening for Efe or another big man.

• Creative Creative x 1