Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

EA NCAA football.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator4ever39, Feb 2, 2021.

1. gator4ever39

gator4ever39 Junior

Feb 2, 2008
    Sun valley idaho
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Probably that they will get a percentage of the sales. I would think that whatever money that comes to will get divided up equally among all the players that get listed in the game. Not sure how in that situation you would give more money to Trevor Lawrence than to Trey Dean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ca1cugat0r

ca1cugat0r Freshman

Mar 16, 2014
    Memphis
    I wonder if recruiting in the game will be updated to include managing bagmen and free cars.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. G8tr69

G8tr69 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    Maybe Debose will stick around a little longer to get paid for his likeness

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Damn...now I have to buy a PS5 at some point :D

Could be, the older games had NCAA violations/suspensions/probation before the actual NCAA threw a fit and make them be taken out, since this won't involve the NCAA hopefully those things make a comeback.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 All American

Nov 14, 2015
    One of the sponsors of the game will be McDonalds. They are replacing Nissan which was on the 2014 game.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Great news, even if it won't be ready for another couple of years. Would be great if 2K Sports got the license to do college football games.

9. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Holy crap. This is great news. Maybe. Probably.

I played EA NCAA for about a decade, waiting in line at midnight to get the latest version, sharing rosters, that sort of thing. I was big into customization and the recruiting end of things. I still play now and then, having to use say New Mexico or Hawaii as my dynasty team, moving it to the SEC so I can actually get a game from the computer. And try for a championship.

What made the game great was it was totally different than the Madden -- different developers, different gameplay, different fan culture. Those NCAA guys in Orlando rocked, and they listened to the community. Then it all went away, thanks Ed you legend you.

My fear is EA will simply port over the Madden engine and user experience. The EA NFL was never as good as NCAA -- that's why so many fans still play the thing, ancient as it is. I truly hope they understand and respect what made NCAA great, instead of taking the cheap and nasty approach. Maybe they can get the old Tiburon team back together.

As for player likenesses -- only the casual players ever cared. You get through three, four seasons and it's all fake guys anyway. (Most EA NCAA fans play decades in the future after a few months.) With the player editor, you can take someone generic and make him into Kyle Trask, if you want. (Custom roster sharing via server was a big thing each mid-summer.)

EA screwed up because it used, say, Tebow's measurements, face type and tendencies for the Gators' default QB, but just called him No. 15. No one was fooled. EA has no need to do anything but generate random generic players and provide the editor (and permit roster sharing). If they can cut a deal with the players, great, but the official rosters will be sort of worthless because of development lead time anyway. Let the fans handle that and they'll get it right.

So I'm excited, as you can tell. I hope it's just not a cut and paste job, because Madden is what it is, and it ain't NCAA.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  10. KronoGator

Apr 10, 2007
    I would hope it's nothing like Madden, which is now a huge pile of garbage

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ca1cugat0r

ca1cugat0r Freshman

Mar 16, 2014
    Memphis
    GOOOOOOALLLLLLLLL!!! Oh wait, I thought that was a soccer game. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    It looks like roster sharing is not in the plans for the new EA college game. A real buzz killer. Maybe some player customization. Let's hope they get a group deal with the players before its estimated arrival in fall 2023.

13. elijah_blue7

elijah_blue7 GC Legend

Aug 20, 2018
    I have soooooo many questions
    Lmao

14. AlumofUF

AlumofUF Senior

Feb 1, 2012
    I don't understand why they didn't just update the game engine every year for a "fee". Not the rosters just the game play and recruiting functions, etc. They wouldn't have been making a new game that way and didn't have to use current college players. It would also be great to have control over coordinator hires/fires and that sort of thing. I just picked up Madden 20 for cheap because my nephew wanted me to get it so we could play each other. Im having a tough time adapting tbh. Too bad there is no real timeline on this.

15. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    As I understand it, they worried that Joe Sixpack the casual player wouldn't buy without current players embedded in the game. So they left off the names but made everything else about the players accurate as of end of development. No one was fooled. Also, keep in mind that all big games came via physical discs in 2014. They actually made a lot of good changes and updates, I never had a problem paying for the new editions. And the changes kept the gameplay challenging, so you couldn't just beat the computer like a drum once you got used to it.

Yeah, Madden just not the same. They are saying fall 2023 for college but not officially. Cheers ...

• Like Like x 1
  16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I thought the actual player names were never in the game anyway? That the only way to do get the names was to download a custom file?

They did model the stats off real rosters, but to call that their “likeness” I always thought was a stretch. But I guess the courts disagreed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    It was just fear of lawsuits and the NCAA pulling out. I seem to recall names were in there in the early days, but I may be thinking of a competitor's game. But no doubt EA took the actual team rosters and ported over everything but the names, down to the players' hometowns. Too bad, because anyone who cared used shared/custom rosters anyway. They could have randomized everything -- had Tebow's slot instead as No. 12, a little right-handed Latino guy from Miami, etc. But apparently they thought they couldn't sell a game with that.

18. KronoGator

Apr 10, 2007
    The names were never there, what got them in real trouble in court was the "Classic" teams, you could make a case that modern teams were just random guys and numbers, saying "THIS IS 1995 UCLA" in the NCAA basketball game makes it more obvious what is happening.

19. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    You could make a case the modern teams were random, but any 9-year-old could prove that. (EA certainly didn't care to make the case.) It was clear as day and much discussed at the time. Dunno about classic teams. Perhaps covered under existing EA deals with the NFL, NBA. EA has Ultimate teams in some of its current games, and not in others.

EA was sued as a co-defendant, and for a reason, but never went to trial and it planned to produce NCAA '15. It dropped the game after the teams and conferences started to drop out, fearing litigation. EA did settle and pay up, however.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  20. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Here is a good FAQ about the EA College Football game.

Roster sharing looks unlikely and player customization only a maybe. Won't be the same.

I know most of you couldn't care less about this, and it is off topic, so I'll leave it here. But if you're interested, do check out the FAQ.