Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Duval teacher removed for reprimanding those who don't say the Pledge of Allegiance

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Aug 15, 2019.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    A high school science teacher was removed from the classroom on the third day of school for writing this on the board.

First Coast High teacher removed after scolding students who don't stand for pledge

2. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Probably the brother of that guy who beat that kid for not taking his hat off during the anthem.

I'm sure the kids love this guy and totally don't make fun of him behind his back lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The teacher would do well to read this Supreme Court decision.
    West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette
    His excuse may be that he is a science teacher rather than a social studies teacher but even so he should have at least a rudimentary understanding of the First Amendment.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    It's one thing to talk about patriotism and support for the country, it's quite another to make it about race the way he did.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I guess he will have something to discuss with friends at the next MAGA rally they attend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Look, its a small victory he's saying the civil war was actually about slavery. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    But in the article it says the kids can only skip the pledge if their parent or guardian files a written request...I’m assuming they didn’t otherwise it would have been mentioned so they should have been standing and reciting per school board policy

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Government suppression of free speech? A public school is an extension of the government I believe. This might be a first amendment violation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Are we now going to let one side (the Leftists) decide when a teacher is teaching and when it's free speech now? Because this teaching and free speech goes both ways...

11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    He's a public employee. He doesn't get to say whatever he wants.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Teachers should not be indoctrinating students in the classroom. You're free to believe in what you want, but protest on your own time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    That’s exactly what teachers do. “Indoctrinating” is a pejorative with synonyms like persuasion, brainwashing, instruction, training.

Unfortunately the teacher used her position of authority to try to convey her view which rarely results in good will, understanding or acceptance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, the people in charge of the school get to decide how the school is run. That’s kinda how things work.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Only when the Liberals say so... seems like. :eek::rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    It's funny that having to fight a war and amend the constitution to treat black people and women as humans is seen as a positive.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    As I said in post #3 maybe the because the guy is a science teacher rather than a social studies teacher he has an excuse but somebody should tell him that the implicit purpose of the First Amendment is protect to the right to hold unpopular viewpoints. Someone should also tell him the forced rote repetition of the pledge along with forced ritual of standing doesn't encourage patriotism.

18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why not just explain to the teacher that it's not his place to pressure students to stand for the pledge? People love to overreact about things. Be outraged, get somebody fired, great way to teach people how to deal with others. It's high school for crying out loud, at a minimum, it should be a productive talking point for folks to share their views on why they don't stand.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Like when teachers had classes singing praises for Obama...wonder what ever happened to those teachers

"School Children Singing the Praises of President Obama" (Apparently as a Public School Class Project): | HuffPost

That’s not a constitutional matter — there’s no Establishment Clause for political speech, and of course schools do routinely glorify past political figures, whether Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, or what have you. They also rightly express a calm respect for current elected officials; when an official comes to visit, for instance, it’s proper for teachers to give the normal praise offered such visitors, and for students to join in.

But that some degree of ideological indoctrination and glorification is inevitable in government-run schools, and is in fact one of the purposes of such schools (which have long been justified as means of assimilating children into American democratic culture), doesn’t mean that it’s proper to lead children in songs praising the current President or particular aspects of his political agenda (“Hooray, Mr. President we honor your great plans / To make this country’s economy number one again!”). I would have thought that this was pretty clear, and it probably is to most teachers in most schools — but not, unfortunately, in this instance.

Incidentally, the 2006 “Congress, Bush and FEMA / People across our land / Together have come to rebuild us and we join them hand-in-hand!” schoolchildren’s song to First Lady Laura Bush is pretty bad, too — not quite the same, even if it was organized as a public school activity (which I suspect would indeed be so), since it didn’t involve such extensive praise of a particular current political figure, but also not the sort of thing that schools should be doing.

20. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    My district put out a directive on the pledge, basically said "leave it alone", perhaps Duval County put out the same directive and the teacher chose to ignore it. No sense making a mountain out of a mole hill.

This law is on very shaky grounds constitutionally and it's irresponsible to expose your district to a lawsuit. My students stand every day as do I. If a kid wants to sit down, so be it. No need to ramp up the situation. I teach in a high school but if I taught in an elementary school I would contact the parents to make them aware.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1