Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Duval County/Jacksonville Beaches Reopen...

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tarponbro, Apr 18, 2020.

1. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    This is unreal, in a bad way. To make things worse, no one will be allowed on the beaches from 11AM to 5PM!! I bet there's gonna be some police officers at the beaches who work the day shift who will be hating life for awhile.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Hopefully the people use the beaches for exercise and movement. Where I live there is an open beach walk and it is used for those purposes. Not lounging. Right next to the closed beaches. People need air and sunlight And movement

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The hours restriction makes literally zero sense. It just ensures more people packed in to a shorter window. WTF.

I’m not opposed to the idea of beaches being “open”, in theory people should be able to take a walk on the beach. But it would be bad news to see people lingering in crowds if that’s what happens. Maybe the better solution is to have beaches open, zero hours restrictions, but just don’t let people set up chairs or umbrellas. Discourage some from staying too long or the crowds too packed in (I.e no repeat of the spring break debacle).

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    I agree with you, but I don't think it will work that way. CNN has a story on it, with a few live interviews. One problem is Jacksonville Beach isn't allowing parking east of 1st St. so where will people park who don't live near the beach? In private parking places and in front of residents' yards? No bars are open, restaurants are takeout/delivery only so everyone who doesn't live at the beach will need to go somewhere else. This is a very poorly thought out plan by local leaders. Oh yeah. they have put in social distancing requirements but they are also allowing groups less than 50 people use the beach. WTF?? I just don't understand the reasoning behind this, except that politicians are letting the constituents who are dissatisfied get to them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't expect any rational decisions from the governor of Florida. He has stated that any decisions he makes about this pandemic will follow the recommendations of Donald Trump. The Donald hasn't publicly recommended that beaches be opened, but I'm sure if DeSantis asked him if he should (and DeSantis knows this), Trump would say, "Hell yes!" Follow the "base," which is out in protest about this whole social-distancing business.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. SCGator52

SCGator52 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    San Antonio, Tx
    The hour restrictions are most likely geared toward not encouraging sun bathers and those just lounging around. 11-5 is usually the prime time for sun bathers. The hours the beaches are open are for those wanting to get out and walk, run, bike and get some exercise.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Jan 11, 2012
    yeah, except it wasn't governors decision. Some beaches in FL are closed

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    You know it won't work out that way, right? At 11 AM and 8 PM, will it be like closing time for bars, except with a few thousand people?

9. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    You're right, however I'd be curious the governor's authority here. Obviously he could apply pressure to keep the beaches closed, but I don't know whose call it actually is.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Jan 9, 2009
    With everyone shut up in their homes, the cops are getting bored. They need a chance to blow off a little steam, yell at people, maybe make a few arrests.

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Why though? I live on the beach and ours is open for recreational activities. Everybody is distancing from each other except families together. Its way less of a threat then being at a grocery store. Our beaches have stayed open almost the entire time and we have less than 60 cases here over a month. The beaches being open isn't a problem unless there is a spring break style gathering. The beach police are enforcing this so it doesn't happen. The fact is, you won't catch this thing if you wash your hands before touching your nose, mouth etc. and don't get too close to somebody who coughs or sneeze's or spits. It doesn't magically enter your body if you step outside. If some don't want to go outside cause they are scared shitless then so be it, but don't tell some of us we can't go outside and enjoy what we can. Just do it responsibly. (this isn't directed at you btw, just in general from the folks on here who want people to stay huddled up in their homes for months)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Did you not see the pics from Jax beach yesterday when they reopened? I thought that was the gist of this thread. It was like a mini 4th of July.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Friday on Jax Beach[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    That looks better, social distance wise, than this FB_IMG_1587219751778.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Jan 11, 2012
    I did, didn't look great, but I go to Publix weekly and people are much closer together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Jan 11, 2012
    That picture isn't as close as the other. Most people are keeping the required distance apart when you see if up close like the first picture. Again, chances of getting it like this are miniscule. You literally have to walk through somebodies sneeze or cough cloud at just the right time, and being outside makes it even more a remote chance to get it this way.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Food is essential. Beach is not. If people could actually behave responsibly, most of the lockdown we have in place wouldn't be necessary, and I would agree with you. But selfish people ruin it for everyone, put other people at risk, and prolong this for everyone behaving responsibly.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    4th of July is usually worse, but I'm interested in seeing what crowds are like at the beach today and tomorrow.

19. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I have a friend who has a similar stance to you, and has been screaming for them to open back up the beaches. He went yesterday and immediately was like "yeah, they need to shut these back down."

We'll see how it plays out. I'd love for the beaches, parks, and anything else outside to be open.

20. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Jax will be seeing a spike in cases in 2-3 weeks

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1