Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dumping Satellite TV

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by WARRIORG8R, Jul 27, 2017.

1. WARRIORG8R

WARRIORG8R Sophomore

Sep 10, 2012
    Longwood, Florida
    I'm thinking of eliminating my Satellite tv and going 100% to streaming services. My one concern is live sports, especially Gator football. Are there enough options to do this and still be able to watch football, golf, NASCAR, etc...?
    I know this has been discussed before, but I could not find a thread.
    Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

2. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    You may want to wait and see how the net neutrality deal goes. Or you may end up paying extra for the streaming services you want anyway

3. WARRIORG8R

WARRIORG8R Sophomore

Sep 10, 2012
    Longwood, Florida
    Thank You. I'll keep an eye on it.

4. panamacitygator

panamacitygator Ticket Swap Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Panama City, Florida
    Get Sling TV and stream. They have 2 packages Orange for 20.00 month and Blue for 25.00 month. You can add sports extra for 10.00 month and get SEC network and other https://www.sling.com/service.

Or Playstation Vue at 44.99 a month gets you a similar service with 65 channels including all the ESPN's and SEC network

Then get a antenna for ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox and your out of the satellite game

5. WARRIORG8R

WARRIORG8R Sophomore

Sep 10, 2012
    Longwood, Florida
    Thanks!

6. LeafUF

LeafUF GC Hall of Fame

May 1, 2007
    Wandering
    We cut the cord last year and I did not miss a game. I have a Fire Stick on all of my TVs and an OTA HD Antenna for local stations.

So all the CBS games were no issue right off the bat. The rest of the games were on ESPN/SEC Network and for those I was able to stream through the ESPN app on the Fire Stick. For that you need to have an account with an accompanying cable provider though. Just paying for internet through Comcast for example does not allow you to use the service. But there are other ways that allow it. Do a little research or see if a friend with a cable package wants to watch with you and have them log in at your house.

I was able to do that for FoxSports as well so I could watch MLB games through that app.

We don't miss having cable at all and it definitely saves us at least $100 from what we were spending to have HD, DVR, etc.

7. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    Firestick with Kodi app opens all kinds of channels.

Or PlayStation Vue. Can be used without owning a PlayStation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Be careful though many of the new firesticks are now blocking 3rd party apps.

9. MtownGator

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    Those bastards lol

All is well on this side just so you know.
    Thanks for the help.

• Like Like x 1
  10. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I think if you're good with loading APK's there may be a work around, but the way Amazon was talking it doesn't sound good. There's actually a Kodi message board on tapatalk they would probably be able to point you in the right direction. Like I said I'm Roku all the way :)

11. LeafUF

LeafUF GC Hall of Fame

May 1, 2007
    Wandering
    I have recently new Fire Sticks and have Kodi on them. It was an easy install too. Though, I hardly use it to be honest. The add ons for Kodi are getting progressively worse and I would rather just spend a little money to watch a show or movie I like then deal with less reliable sources.

Now that I add channels through Amazon I was able to watch all of American Gods S1 and cancel the channel after only a month which ended up being a free trial so still free. Now I am watching GoT on the HBO channel and I will cancel that as soon as the season is over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Does anyone know how to get The Walking Dead episodes the day of or day/week after they air? I would cut the cord completely if I could get AMC.

13. LeafUF

LeafUF GC Hall of Fame

May 1, 2007
    Wandering
    I have seen an AMC app on my fire stick. You would still need some sort of account to login with though if it's like any of the other apps.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Thanks, that's literally my only concern with cable cutting lol

15. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    What streaming device are you using?

16. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    on sling $20 will get you ESPN 1,2,+3, AMC, CNN, HGTV, Comedy Central, Cartoon Network, History, TNT, IFC, A&E, TBS..you get the basic idea lol

17. MtownGator

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
  18. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Are you still having a good experience? Im thinking about going to only internet and a streaming service for TV and sling seems like a great deal but I was put off by the reviews.

Also, is it the full AMC channel? I can't remember which service but one only has Fear the Walking Dead and not The Walking Dead. I really only need two things. Gator sports and The Walking Dead.

19. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    I tried DirecTv while my Comcast contract is expired and I can tell you I had a horrible experience. So much so that I canceled within the first month (cancellation fee was waived due to all of their BS) because I was promised a 135 dollar bill for a bundle and the first bill came in at 400+. On top of that, it was only for the DirecTv portion as they didn't properly merge the bill. I didn't try DirecTv Now because when I did try, I couldn't sign in as my account wasn't working even though they said it would be.

If it's anything like their normal TV, it probably sucks too. Comcast has many faults, their high prices, hidden fees and customer service is atrocious. However, their tv experience (X1) is 100x better than the competition. It's so easy to find things and watch them on Comcast. I feel like I need access to the red button or a college degree in programming to find and watch a show on demand with DirecTv. Maybe I just didn't take the time to learn it but the whole thing from the moment after I finished the conversation to finalize the installation of my services was a shit show. I could go on with about many more issues I came across between DirecTv and Century Link but I'd end up rambling even more.

Ok one last thing... just to get it installed it took 4 different crews coming to my house. First one wasn't there to install but said it was fine and they could do it. Second guy came and said they cannot leave their ladders anymore and there's no other way to install (I live in a square 4-plex, it's complicated). He suggested I called Comcast.... Third guy came out and said they can do it but again, he's not there to install it. Fourth guy tries to say he can't do it until I said the supervisor said they can do it... This installer was terrible, I have a laundry list of reasons why but one was that he tracked dog crap in my house that stunk up THE WHOLE HOUSE.

Ok rant over.. moral of the story is, I'd be very wary of anything DirecTv offers.

20. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Directv now is a completely different thing. You pay as you go. It's a streaming service not a cable type deal.