Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Duke paid Zion

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by twodaparty, May 10, 2020.

1. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Junior

Nov 29, 2016
    Roy Boy says hello too. That was just despicable on the part of the NCAA.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born”

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Duke did not pay Zion.

Did a Duke booster pay him?

Probably. It is consistent with the facts that we know, but no smoking gun exists.

But the NCAA PR has created the Coach K fiction and they won't willing destroy that.

Same thing with Wooden even with all of the Sam Gilbert evidence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. hbgator

hbgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Coach K, I know nothing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    c’mon, really? Coach K is as slimy as Bobby Bowden and as highly regarded.

6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    G1, whether he is or isn't is beside the point. Someone files suit and someone here makes an absolute statement that the points of the suit must therefore be true. So much for due process. And I hate Duke.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BEH

BEH GC Hall of Fame

Nothing will happen.

The NCAA is run by crooks and they love Duke and UNC.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Duke, UNC, Arizona and Louisville are all dirty bastards and need to be held responsible for their transgressions. So far, only Louisville has suffered, despite self-reporting all of the Pitino garbage.
    When's the axe gonna fall on Duke, UNC and Arizona? I feel sorry for Louisville and Cleveland State.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Interesting development in the case. Zion and family may have to testify, under oath, to receiving improper benefits that would make Zion retroactively ineligible. I'm sure Zion and his lawyers will appeal, but proving Zion was ineligible, in my opinion, is paramount to the case. If Zion was ineligible, then he wasn't a NCAA athlete, technically, and should not be able to claim the original agent contract he signed is null and void because the agent didn't register with the NCAA.

I'm also wondering, where are the ESPN blustering heads? There was equal or less evidence that DeAndre Ayton took money to attend Arizona, and Schlabach, Bilas, and Vitale all called for Miller to be fired and Arizona to be punished. That was during a normal sports cycle. It's dead in sports right now, and it's not like these ESPN personalities are busy doing other things!

For the record, Arizona will eventually receive a punishment, but it will likely be a proverbial slap on the wrist. An Assistant Coach took money, but there's no hard evidence that money filtered down to players at this point. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, and if Zion got paid to go to Duke, then it's highly likely Ayton got paid to go to Arizona.

I just wish they'd blow the top on everything and allow everyone to come clean. Then allow for shoe companies to pay top players out in the open.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    You know why AZ, K is the untouchable Golden Man of College basketball.
    Probably be easier to find treasure in the Oak Island Money Pit than have anything negative stand against Duke.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Lay that wood Grateful!!
    I agree but regrettably I would say NADA, perhaps Zona but UNC and Duke -
    Not happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    The ruling makes it so that Zion really has no choice but to settle, something many stated was close to inevitable anyways. We won't ever get to hear his admission.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    if he admits he received illegal benefits, what's the worst that can happen to him now? It's Duke that would be punished, if it was virtually any other school but Duke...

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Normally yes, a student, once he/she leaves, faces no consequences of admitting they cheated. The one exception being Reggie Bush, who lost his Heisman. But this case is a little different.

If Zion admitted he took illegal benefits, and is declared retroactively ineligible, then his claim his first agent contract is null and void due to the fact that said agent wasn't registered with the NCAA wouldn't carry any water. That's because at the time Zion signed it, he wasn't an eligible, NCAA athlete. Then Zion could potentially be on the hook for $100 million.

My guess is Zion settles and admits no wrong doing with illegal benefits in the process.

15. ncbullgator15

ncbullgator15 Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    If he settles, then his family and he got paid. It's an indirect admission of guilt to protect Duke.

If he or his family did not take money and he wants to save significant monies to settle, then tell everyone under oath he did not not get paid under the table.

He got paid and will settle. Duke will skate again like they did with Bagley.

16. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Kind of ignored is that the article states Zions camp doesn’t want him to testify due to the reasons listed but...if he didn’t actually take benefits before or while at Duke...then testifying under oath wouldn’t be a problem. There would be no reason to NOT testify if he never took anything.

17. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Just like Maggette also. If I'm not mistaken, the NCAA came up with the concept of strict liability immediately/conveniently AFTER Maggette was found to have been ineligible.

Edit: I was correct. Look at the laughable inconsistency here:
    NCAA clears Duke on Maggette's ineligibility

• Like Like x 1
  18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Did the NCAA reinstate Villanova's runner-up finish (1971) when Howard Porter was ineligible and the school didn't know?

BTW he was named Most Outstanding Player, but now it is "Vacated" in the record book.

Penn lost to Villanova in the semifinal and that ended their perfect season. Since Penn's only loss was to a team with an ineligible player do they get credit for an undefeated season where they were not on probation and still did not win the NC? Maybe the only one ever?

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think the wins go away but the loses stay on the record for the other team.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Agree with @OklahomaGator on the wins/losses part.

But the other parts are interesting. I'm quick to admit that my less than perfect knowledge of NCAA ruling history only goes back so far. Assuming what you're saying is true, which I wouldn't doubt, it makes the NCAA's decision on Duke even more obvious in their showing of preference for that school and/or Coach K.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1