Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Drones vs. Privacy

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by whiskeygator, Feb 22, 2019.

1. whiskeygator

whiskeygator Sophomore

Mar 16, 2010
    I have a very secluded back yard and pool area. No neighbors can see my pool area, that is until the drones arrived. Sometimes my wife and I will be laying out by the pool and a drone will fly by and then hover for 10 minutes over our pool area. Do I have any legal recourse? Can I take out a hovering drone? Does anyone have any practical solutions?

2. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Congratulations on having a hot wife.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    I am virtually certain that it isn't legal to take out the drones. Privacy is a dead letter in this day and age. If the law made any sense, it would be OK to jam anything that flies lower than a couple hundred feet over your property so you could create your own no-fly zone. It'll never be legal to shoot them out of the sky because it's already illegal to discharge firearms into the air in residential areas.

4. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    is it legal to bring down a drone spying over your yard - YouTube

Is It Legal to Shoot Down a Drone Hovering Over Your Property?

"...
    But if your neighbor’s drone comes onto your lawn, and if it is equipped with a camera or some unwelcome item, can you shoot it down without being arrested? A teenage girl was sunbathing in her backyard in Hillview, Kentucky when she saw a drone equipped with a camera hovering overhead, something that she, quite reasonably, found creepy.

"She alerted her father, who recalls:
    I went and got my shotgun and I said, “I’m not going to do anything unless it’s directly over my property.” Within a minute or so, here it came. It was hovering over top of my property, and I shot it out of the sky. I didn’t shoot across the road, I didn’t shoot across my neighbor’s fences, I shot directly into the air.

"The father defends his decision:
    You know, when you’re in your own property, within a six-foot privacy fence, you have the expectation of privacy. We don’t know if he was looking at the girls. We don’t know if he was looking for something to steal. To me, it was the same as trespassing.

"For defending against the unknown, he was arrested and charged with felony wanton endangerment and criminal mischief. And he’s not alone. A New Jersey resident who shot down a neighbor’s drone was arrested and charged with possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and criminal mischief."

I fully understand the reasons for prohibiting a drone from being shot out of the sky with a firearm, but what about rigging some sort of trap or net to swat it down much as you would a flying insect intent on stinging you? This seems reasonable if a way could be found to set up such a trap and lure the annoying flying insect into it to be snared.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    the first thing I thought about drones was how good it was they were not around when I was a teenager - had a couple of neighbors girls 2 years older than me who would invite friends over and they would lay out in the back yard to get some sun- we had lots of trees and our yards were all pretty good size, so I found a tree with a direct line of site and bought some really nice binocs(set me back $14, which in the 60's was a ton for a 14 year old)- I thought I was real sly- 5 or 6 years later when I was working in a gas station and she was home from College, she came into get gas and while I was washing her windshield she started laughing-so I asked what was so funny and she told me how they all knew I was up in that tree spying on them- today's young males are probably no different they just have better spy gear

• Like Like x 2
  6. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Recently Trucker and I, with heart heavy to leave good friends, left my birth home, Gainesville, Florida and moved our home to the Redlands area of Grand Junction, Colorado. The small city is named for the point where the mighty Gunnison and Colorado rivers merge and become the mightier Colorado. GJ, smaller than Gainesville, is located in the Grand Valley between the Bookcliffs to the east and the Colorado National Monument range to the west. It is a place of stark beauty, with relatively mild Colorado winters, the soil generously drained by the yearly rises and rare floods of spring rivers. The area is richly planted in grapes for the several local vineyards, and widely known for the many local peach, apple, and pear orchards. This larger area to the west of the Rockies is known as the Western Slope. It's not unusual to hear a person from the WS refer to the Rockies as The Hill. Gives me the giggles every times I hear it.

This thread comes as an opportunity to ask opinions on what the reader might think about people equipping drones with cameras and sending them up to record distant views while flying or hovering over private areas. Private areas would not intentionally or specifically be recorded, only incidentally as the drone's camera focuses on the distant horizon view. There is a hill that rises steeply 75 to 100 feet directly behind the canal - or sometimes dry stream behind our house - I would love to explore and hike, but it is inaccessible to me due to a neurological disorder that places limitations on my movement. Viewing this area through a drone equipped with a camera would give me great pleasure and satisfy my curiosity to experience that view - and a few others.

To the west side front of our house, rising in our view from across the roofs of neighborhood houses, and a mile or 2 away, is the fabulous and impressive Colorado National Monument. From our front porch we can see the ridge line and peaks of the many miles long Monument, a federally owned, and technically - though not officially recognized or designated - national park. Nice status. Lack of formal National Park designation and publication, keeps knowledge of the park in the minds and thoughts of fewer people. Visitors to the park are fewer in numbers, leaving it less crowded with relatively few visiting tourists. The locals want to keep it that way, an unrecognized and under visited destination - so it remains pristine and uncrowded - worth visiting for all the reasons it remains special.

The road that snakes and winds its way down the length of the park branches directly into the midst of the Redlands neighborhood where we live. We live less than 3 driving miles from the park's east entrance and have seen all we are able to see by car. Though the walking distance from the back of the west side of the neighborhood is even less by cross country trail, it is another experience I may never have.

A drone camera could 'take' me there. Is it wrong, selfish, intrusive, illegal - for me to want to do this?

'Talk amongst yourselves.'

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  7. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

A drone can be great, to fly over places and take pictures of views that people can't get to in nature, (also to find some hiking trails, etc.)

BUT... when one hovers over your backyard, that's a different story.
    If it was low enough, I'd throw a castnet over the thing.... and if it constsntly did it, if the Police won't do anything about it, go to a good sporting goods place, and buy a "Nuisance bird gun"..... it's NOT a firearm, it's a cartridge-powered load that launches a huge net.. . Just bring the sucker down, and remove the SD card.... The police might want to see what "drone pilot" may have on it..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. whiskeygator

whiskeygator Sophomore

Mar 16, 2010
    I am wondering if there is a device that I could point at the drone that would disrupt or jam it's radio connection with it's pilot. Thereby causing it to crash or simply fly away never to be retrieved by it's pilot. Any technical ideas if this is possible?

9. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    This is a very good question. I'm not an attorney, but I did spent the night at a Holiday Inn express last night, so it seems to me that we have a legal expectation of our private property. In the course of a real estate career, we knew that we have to have prior consent before accessing (stepping on) someone's home and/or yard. Now with drone technology, it is physically possible to use a drone to fly over both personal and public property. I wonder if there are any local zoning ordinances or local laws that address this issue. Like all new really new cool techie toys, drones can be a very good method to accomplish wonderful things. However, they can also be used to accomplish sinister and malfeasant stuff. like checking out the neighbor's daughter and her friends lying out by the pool. Have laws been passed yet to control the use of them to prevent the malfeasnt usage?

Things that make you go "Humm...?"

10. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes there is. The military has them

11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Pretty sure this might work.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Have a buddy that had a bottle of helium at his house and some leftover balloons from a party

A drone hovered so he went inside blew up a balloon and attached it to his fishing rod and reel

He let about a hundred feet out and when the drone returned it flew right into his line and it wrapped up quickly and crashed

Reeled it in and it was a keeper

• Like Like x 5
  13. whiskeygator

whiskeygator Sophomore

Mar 16, 2010
    The helium balloons and fish line may be a realistic solution. I may try it. Tight lines and real in the keepers. Thanks for your suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    Unfortunately, this approach may put YOU on the wrong side of the law. Most places do not have laws restricting drones over private property. The operator probably has a camera and may be able to document your 'theft' of their property as well as knowing where the drone came to earth. An extract from the excellent reference posted by @GatorToTheEnd below gives some excellent advice.

I certainly agree with you and others here that having a drone apparently snooping on you is wrong and that you SHOULD have some recourse other than starting a complicated journey into the various law enforcement agencies involved. Sadly, it looks like there is no great LEGAL way to stop people misusing drones over your property.

16. WhattaGator

Three words ...

Radio frequency jammer.

Either that , or a "fighter drone.

17. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    I’d use an air gun. It’s not a firearm. Fight ambiguity with ambiguity. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. WhattaGator

If it's hovering low enough, a good blast from a decent pressure water nozzle. (Oh, I was just getting ready to water my flowers alibi)

19. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Maybe we'll see the drones of people being watched following the watcher drones back to where they came from. If drones are too difficult to manually follow, I imagine some follow-that-drone software could be developed.

Will the spies care if the spy-ees follow them home for some reverse examination? :devil:

It could become a new dating app...:cool:

20. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    This article, The 7 Most Significant Anti-drone Weapons, has some great toys to bring the drones down. The cheapest cost a bit over $10K so you may not want to buy many of them. Or you could park this bad boy in your backyard:
    Capture.JPG

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1