Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Draft Positive

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorfan5220, Jun 4, 2019.

1. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lost in all the talk of whether or not we get Allen is the fact that we cleared the 10th round with a large number of top prospects.

Highly regarded infielders in Isaac Nunez, Josh Rivera and Andrew Roberts.

Catchers in Matthew Powell and Nathan Hickey.

A large group of pitchers including Ocalas Tyler Owen, all 5-10 of him who was timed with a 98 fastball and said to have 3 effective pitches.

Others too who have been highly ranked.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Infielders and catchers? Be still my heart!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    This past season we had a great player that was a HS SS trying to play SS, but that really isn't where he should be playing. Sorry, but your future is in the outfield and I think that it will be in The Show. We also had a very good player trying to play second base for the first time, but that is not where he should be playing. And we had an infielder doing the best that he could at catcher.

Having actual catchers and middle infielders seems like a luxury,.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Indeed Lurker, indeed.

5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

“If it was easy everybody would do it “....Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  6. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    “It’s the hard that makes it great.”

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    “And did I cry?”

“No...” [she says sobbing]

“No, I didn’t cry. And do you know why? ... Because there’s no crying in baseball.”

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gtrsldrs

gtrsldrs Freshman

Oct 22, 2018
    The new infield coach will do wonders with the athletes. BM's glove will slowly turn to gold when he gets with professional infield coaches. JY will be worked with and throw like an infielder by next spring. Your not going to find better athletes then those 2. Probably why a coaching change is happening.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. mkmoney

mkmoney Freshman

Jan 18, 2019
    I assume you are just a troll at this point.

10. gtrsldrs

gtrsldrs Freshman

Oct 22, 2018
    And I assume you're just a fool - but you know what they say about people that assume?

11. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Wasn’t it reported that The coaches worked hard with BMc but he failed to use their techniques?

For JY, I think it’s tough to make dramatic changes in anyone’s play during a season. And there wasn’t enough time during fall ball - where he was mostly OF, iirc. Might see dramatic improvement in this off-season in his infield play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why don’t we wait for an announcement from the UAA before we throw out any rumors about coaching changes. I’m well aware of what is going on and know the reasons behind it (and it has nothing to do with your ridiculous assumption regarding coaching infielders) but it doesn’t belong on a message board right now. You obviously have an ax to grind with the coaching staff as that is obvious by your posts.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    The infield coach has been pretty damn excellent for his tenure at UF. Change happens and is probably needed to freshen things up. BM will not play SS if he ever makes the big leagues and it’s laughable if you think JY can change his throwing motions after throwing the same for 15 years of his life . Ask Tebow. Kid is solid and serviceable at 2b even still but will never get drafted to play 2b at next level. OF only shot and that arm will hurt him there as well. Is what it is . BW already worked their asses off with more reps than most coaches think is necessary , so reps ain’t it my friend . All the analyst said this collegiate draft class was worst for pitchers than they can recall in 10 years . That’s a large factor in our offensive improvements this year . Fact. We have been screaming for hitting coach for years but same old and look at results . Nothing changed other than down arms across college baseball. Sully just really needed to inject some good energy and probably a younger coach that will help with the recruiting more will be a nice addition . Change is part of life and probably time for all parties.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Bell, Weitzel, and Sully have been together for 12 years. That is a very long time for no turnover whatsoever at one of the best baseball programs in America. And it wasn’t one of the best programs when they arrived. Those 3 made it one of the best programs.

At some point, change is usually warranted not because anyone did anything wrong but new perspectives are necessary to continue to grow. Your competition is changing things. You will need to as well. Often times it is a win-win for both parties when change occurs.

That said, Sully has earned the right to do what he wants. Rumors of McMahon not wanting to make changes in his staff in 2007 are a little different. 2006 & 2007 were terrible years and Pat, who is a terrific guy and a good baseball coach, had been to Omaha once compared to Sully’s 7. If Sully wants his guys, fine by me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    Agree