Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Dow's Biggest Drop in Eight Years - Media Comparison

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Spurffel, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Spurffel

Spurffel All American

Apr 9, 2007
    This fascinates me - I realize no one here is surprised there is bias in the media - the extent of that bias is however fodder for much debate here and elsewhere.

We had the biggest drop in the DJIA since the great recession. That's a fact - I realize many can and will argue whether or not it means something bigger in the long term, the political ramifications and whether someone is more responsible for it than others. But can we all agree this qualifies as news worth reporting?

AP has it as their headline.
    AP Feb 27.jpg
    CNN has it as their second story.
    CNN Feb 27.jpg
    I can't even find it on Fox New's website.
    Fox News Feb 27 (page 1).jpg
    Fox News Feb 27 (page 2).jpg
    Fox News Feb 27 (page 3).jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Varney piece about 'dems drumming up panic' coronavirus/market. I guess that's it on the front page? It's on the business pages.

3. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Trumpsters are an interesting group of investors. When the Dow is doing well it’s all about “just look at the 401 baby”. When it tanks, suddenly they go silent or talk about their sophisticated long term approach to investing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    There’s really nothing interesting or inexplicable about it. It’s because just like the Fox News they watch and regurgitate, they are full of crap.

Some of those jokers clearly don’t even know how a 409k plan operates. ;)

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    People believe it is a liberal panic. As if institutional investors invest based on liberal rumors. Or China hasn’t shut down. When your opponent’s reality is based on lies and people still consider that better the alternative you know you have problems. We saw in another thread the “liberal panic” posts. From apparently college educated people

• Like Like x 1
  6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    All I know is my 420K is doing great! Snoop agrees. :D

[​IMG]

Bob Marley's estate is pretty happy too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I haven’t been reading the boards much but people can’t really be stupid enough to think this is a liberal thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol... That's pretty much how it works... Right now is a buyer's market.

upload_2020-2-27_20-43-48.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Nice try....Do a search for 401K and you will find Jan 9 was the last time a Conservative mentioned a 401k on GC before today. There have been about a dozen mentions since then but they were by Anti Trumpsters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Obama's stock market returns are now TWICE as good as the "greatest economy ever".

OBAMA2X.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I am not nearly as concerned about how this will affect DT as how it will affect our economy.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Fortunately our economy is operating from a position of strength, but if more of Europe and the U.S. shut down like China who the hell knows.

I have seen reports that China is still going to have growth, but I can't fathom how that could possibly be when so much of their economy is at a standstill. That being said, once you get past the virus there should be a strong bounce back (and there was an estimate from JPM they will bounce back to 15% in the 2Q). I'm just saying I don't see how they are still projecting "growth" in the 1st Q. Most likely China is looking at negative GDP growth right now, in this quarter. How could they not?

The US hasn't really been hit yet, in terms of much impact on GDP. So I guess everyone just needs to see how bad it gets on the ground here. If we have to shut a bunch of stuff down or if China spirals out of control (further impacting our supply chain), then it could be a wild ride. Hard to say how much of that is already factored in with the 3,000+ drop.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Search for 429, trump loves the uneducated.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    For all the silliness about a liberal panic, you have to be clueless not to see the real ramifications of what has already happened. The disruption to a country that supplies so much of the fuel to our economy will hurt, doesn’t matter what happens going forward.
    My company has been fortunate in that our one huge supplier in China was only down for a couple of weeks after their new year. They agreed to meet certain conditions and the govt allowed them to open. This was largely possible because their US side of the business had the foresight to ship over high end masks not available in China.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yeah, the market response seems pretty rational so far.

This was actually the type of response I expected from the tariffs, and effectively the worry right now is that trade is at a standstill, which is the exact same worry you get from protectionist trade policies. We could be facing shortages on certain imports.

That never happened with the tariffs, because market participants never believed the tariffs were real, and in a way they weren't (since some items were maneuvered to avoid tariffs, they kicked the can a few times, and then ultimately agreed to a partial deal). With this, there is no avoiding or kicking the can. The issue in China is real. Certain production lines stopped. People are at home and the streets are empty. I think the market has factored that in, still probably waiting and seeing what happens with the rest of the world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    With the previous tariffs some business moved to other countries so the effect from China is not quite as big as it would have been if this happened two years ago.

19. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    all just a conspiracy to hurt the biggest snowflake on the planet: Donald Trump

20. mutz87

mutz87 Leon's getting larger VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Not to worry, the market will correct media bias about the market.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1