Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Double space after the end of a sentence or not?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Jul 21, 2019.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    When I post here I usually leave a single space between sentences although I'm not consistent. Under the style guide of my former employer (I'm retired) the convention was to leave two spaces at the end of a sentence. Not sure that it really matters although I still leave two spaces.

• Like Like x 1
  2. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Learning cursive just to sign a signature is a waste of time. How many people actually use real cursive as a signature? Most people start with the first letter of their names then go off like they've never even seen the alphabet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    :)

I do a lot of writing and editing of other people's writing and made the switch well over a decade ago.

Funny thing is, I've gotten into a few tiffs about it from coauthors who insist on two spaces.

4. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I've always done it but I'm also writing proposal that have a hard page limit so every space counts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I write copy that goes out to 100k people or more. And I am always trying to double space before it gets single spaced in the review process.

The change came when printers/screens got better and the second space wasn’t need for clarity.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly. The only reason for double spacing was because typewriters couldn’t dynamically adjust spacing. Not a problem anymore.

As for cursive, it was devised to speed up handwriting. It’s not exactly an important skill set in today’s world. If people need to feel better about cursive going away they just need to understand that typing has replaced cursive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Really, there isn't any reason to write cursive except as a throwback to the old days and it's a lost art form like Latin. It's possible it was needed due to the way writing instruments were made. I think of the ink and quill where you dip the quill into the ink and then set to writing. The initial impact is always a splotch then it gets better. That's because for the most part, the quill never leaves the paper except when it's time to dip it back into the ink well.

8. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Single space after a sentence has been the standard since we switched to typewriters capable of proportional fonts rather than monospaced fonts. If for some reason you're still typing in something like Courier New, then you should still be using double spaces. It's not something that came about because we started using computers. Although, computers make it even more appropriate because of things like "kerning", which changes the space between letters, making the letters of a word group together even closer.

If, for some reason, you using a monospaced font like Courier New, you should use double spacing at the end of sentence. This is because the width of letters, the spacing between the words, and the lack of kerning, sometimes results in large gaps that draw the eye to them, so having the double spaces at the end of the sentences lets the eye see where the sentence ends easier. Just look at the gap between each of the words in this sentence, they're like a mile long. You do not have this problem with proportional fonts on computers. And yes GC stripped the double spacing from this paragraph, so you'll just have to imagine that extra space after each period.

• Informative Informative x 1