Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Don't be Surprised

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jan 11, 2021.

1. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The north GA mountains are beautiful

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Been through all that

3. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    GT is the “nerd school” and too “Atlanta” to be popular for the rest of the state, which is pretty rural. Some of the smartest people I’ve met went to GT and they’re usually only a little into sports, so yeah UGA dominates the fans. In Florida you see much more recent success and competition between the big 3 and USF and UCF have both had some good years to snag a few local fans in those metros. The dynamic is totally different than Georgia.

I live in Atlanta now and the spread of SEC fans is pretty broad. Most young professionals are from all the schools, but when you still get mostly UGA bias in general. I have been pleasantly surprised at all the Gators fans though, really strong here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I recently drove from Florida thru rural SW Georgia and SE Alabama on the way to Birmingham. It was pretty depressing and sad to say the least, junkyards, houses falling down, etc, etc.

Used to really like Atlanta, figured I would relocate there at one time, but last time I was there my opinion changed. Im a flat lander at heart. Never liked that red clay anyway. One of my best friends lived in Atlanta for work for several years, got divorced and couldnt wait to get back to Ft Lauderdale.

East coast of Georgia does have some nice areas tho, Savannah and the barrier islands come to mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I've always thought Atlanta and Houston are pretty similar when in comes to sports. Both cities due to their regional location have a lot of fans from rival schools. As for GaT, my son checked it out for grad school, great school but ugly campus. Of course it was winter, so that probably didn't help convince a Florida boy.

6. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Eh. They’re ok. I live near them. Western NC much better. And more Gators and way less dumb dwag fans in Highlands than north Georgia.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Spent week between Christmas and new year in Blue Ridge. Hadn’t been there before. Drove everyday off the beaten path. Snowed Christmas Day, so enjoyed the snow without having to drive in it. We really enjoyed the area. Best drive was from there to Springer mountain and there to Helen and back. Goat roads. It was fun. Liked because it’s 20 min to NC or TN. Check out Copperhill brewery. Line in middle of it separates GA and TN. Joke was drink in TN, piss in GA. Yes bathrooms on GA side.

Have to say, Franklin area is the bomb. Been many times. Franklin to highland is beautiful drive. Always love driving up to and over Wayah mountain.

Don’t recall a ton of devotion to any school. Mixed blend up there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    We go to Helen once a year usually. Pretty country up there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. zman-1

zman-1 Senior

Mar 5, 2017
    West of the equator
    Do they play football in Helen?

10. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    I was never impressed with Helen, I enjoyed the hiking up in that area more and the Tallulah Gorge is a have to see and do in as far as hiking is concerned.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1