Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Don't be Surprised

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jan 11, 2021.

1. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    i hear you man. I always say another recruiting tool is the NFL draft and how those players from certain schools are producing in the league. Say what you want about how Bama gets kids to come to Bama but they damn sure are developing them, getting them to the league as high to mis draft picks, and they are actually contributing early on NFL rosters in a lot of cases. Yea we had 3 WR’s drafted but how impactful were they? Teams can use little things like that, even if what a guy does in the NFL being out of a college coach control, to their advantage in recruiting

2. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    I think its more than that. Recruiting "titles" have shown to be the best path for championships. The portal is definitely helpful, but usually there is a reason that talent is leaving.

3. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No doubt. It starts with talent. If you land the best talent your naturally gifted players step up, make highlight reels, move on to the league and become an example. That cycle self fulfills. It ends up that you get to claim credit for the god given talent you recruit and "develop". But it's all about having that initial talent. That's why I can't understand Mullen accepting Havesy's apparent preference for lower tier recruits.

By the way, I didn't follow, but was Davonta Smith really the best player this season? More important to their team than Najee Harris? A better player than Kyle Trask? Weird.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm told he will not enroll anywhere until May. UF is solidly in the mix. Kyle Pitts has spoken to Gilbert and he likes how Mullen uses the TE's as opposed to UGA.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't have to win the title but there is a high correlation between recruiting a series of top 10 and top five classes and winning the NC. No team has recruited outside the top 5/top 10 over four cycles and won the NC. Auburn came close to doing so in 2010 having had only a top 7 class in the four cycles leading up to their NC. But generally, what we've seen for a decade are the teams that recruit top 10/top 5 end up fairing better on the field and making it to the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Waddle is better than Smith if we’re being honest and if it wasn’t for that injury to Waddle, Mac Jones probably ends up winning the Heisman.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Some folks in here skew what’s being said by some of us about needing to augment recruiting efforts. That hyperbolic take drives me crazy. No one is saying hey we need 22 5*’s a class and we need to supplant bamar or ga for best class every year. The long and short of what is being requested is basically 3-4 players a class. 3-4 absolute top shelf diff making dudes take u from 10-13 to 3-6. ( pref along the los ). If u look at how the numbers add up on a 3-4 yr cycle it can largely comprise ur starting 22. That’s not being a bad fan imo and it’s not a big ask given the salaries these dudes pull in

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. gator10

gator10 Freshman

Nov 23, 2015
    Yes I agree. For the money they are making they are not producing enough when it comes to recruiting.

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Hopefully Pitts really talked up our returning QB's cuz that may be an issue with him. He probably still winds up at ugaly though if he's truly homesick like I've read.

10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m not so sure about that. He was the #2 and behind Waddle but Trask was behind Franks too. We will see on Sundays who is really better. Of course that all depends on where they go but Smith sure has a knack for being wide ass open.

11. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Smith reminds me of Tyler Lockett (from back when I watched some NFL). Relatively slight build, great hands, decent speed, nit flashy, always open.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Reminds me of desean Jackson. Maybe it’s just his gait that makes me think desean

13. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I would think Mullen couldn't sleep at night until we had secured that handful of difference makers each class. I would think he decides who those players are and stops at nothing to get them to UF.

14. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Junior

Nov 9, 2019
    I thought you don’t care about recruiting because all these guys are bought by Uga?

15. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    I care but don’t get hung up on it like so many others. Of course I’d like to get a proven player with college experience more than an unproven hs guy. I’m sure the lure of home and the money will win out in this case though unless the mutts can’t maneuver around the allegations (which is highly unlikely IMO).

16. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I agree with you about the difference makers you mentioned in another post. It only takes a few.
    I do think Bowman should count as a "difference maker" even though he doesn't help us in the rankings. I guess that's why Mullen gets no credit for him.

But you are completely wrong about the "NO TEAM outside the top 5" has won the NC. Did you forget Clemson??
    Here are the rankings for the 4 Clemson classes before Clemson won the title in 2016.
    Rank # 5 stars
    2016- 11th 1
    2015- 9th 3
    2014- 16th 0
    2013- 15th 1
    So they averaged 13th each year. That's certainly outside the top 10. Though they got a few difference makers, as you say.
    It's easy to forget, but Clemson with their pitiful recruiting played Bama even for 2 years, winning the 2nd one. (2016.)

Their recruiting actually didn't get much better in 17 and 18 before their showdown w/ Bama after the 18 season.
    Here are those rankings.
    2017 16th
    2018 7th.

So Clemson didn't crack the top 5, and only made the top 10 twice in 6 years, but destroyed Bama and their plethora of 5 stars 44-16!
    I guess you can win titles without winning recruiting or even being top 5.

As I look through the rankings- the school who stands out through the years is FSU. They killed it!!
    2016 #3
    2017 #6
    2015 #3
    2014 #4
    That's some great recruiting. How many playoff appearances did this top 5 recruiting get them again?

So maybe, just maybe...
    Recruiting is important, but far more important is recruiting good guys with good character who will develop.
    And then coach them up.
    (If we can't coach them up, that's another problem.)

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  17. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Bingo. Look at our team this year with and without the freak talent that is Kyle Pitts. A special WR (Percy, Smith at bama this year) or a special DT makes a huge difference in how teams play you and in elevating other players. Bringing in those "3 or 4 top shelf difference makers" is where we are light with Dan's recruiting to date, and I think if he does that we compete in the CFP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Even if I were "wrong" I wouldn't have been "completely wrong", it would just change to, "the likelihood drops to 10%". But what I said or meant is that all teams that won the NC have had at least one top 5 class leading up to their title run. And that's true. Clemson had a top 5 class in 15' and top 6 in 16' even though their 16' class didn't likely contribute much. And on that first NC they had a few units that had those game changing or difference makers. I remember their DL was terrific.

19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We had some difference makers this year on offense. A great dt, corner, and , safety and we may have had enough this year. Just a few more players could’ve pushed us over the top.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Clemson is a bad example to use. Not juat 5 stars, but Clemson had waaay more top 100 guys than we did and also their recruiting classes were smaller than most due to lack of attrition. Their classes in 17 and 18 had only 14 and 17 commits. We gotta stop using them as a model. We are not Clemson in terms of recruiting who can darn near handpick recruits

• Agree Agree x 1