Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Dogs and evolution

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by cocodrilo, Jul 18, 2021.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Should be no surprise to anyone that knows the love of a dog. Can’t imagine life without them

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  3. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    My dog understands as soon as I turn my back she can get away with murder.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    The oldest human remains uncovered had dogs by their side.

The question is, did dogs evolve as a companion to humans, or was it the other way around?

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I watched this a couple weeks ago. It's pretty interesting, imo.

6. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    When I was a kid we had a dog named Skipper. All I had to do was say, "I think it's time to give Skipper a bath" and he would head for the hills.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Obviously dogs are quite great companions for people, but I still wouldn’t have necessarily predicted this:

8. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    What is strange to me is that certain working breeds seem to have their job bred into them. My brittany Spider points everything from birds to squirrels to lizards to butterflys. She has never been trained to hunt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 GC Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    I've had a dog and cat in my life/house ever since I can remember, except for a few brief times when it was impossible (freshman year in dorms for example, but even then my parents' still had cat and dog when I went home, etc.) Our dogs (great danes and one irish setter) over the years are a huge part of our lives - there are probably more pictures of the dogs than our children. I am convinced that dogs are gifts from God. I love the cats we've had, but they are selfish. Every one of our dogs is/was a true companion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    All dog or animal lovers should watch Pets.TV. I get it with AT&T U-verse. It covers dogs more than anything else (breeds, rescue, care, etc.) and there are no politics.

11. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I have a cat or maybe she has me, but they are basically useless IMO. I understand a lot of people are extremely attached to their cats but I've never been that way. I wound up with the cat because her mother showed up at my doorsteps and looked to be starving. Her mother disappeared not long after she was born and so I wound up with the daughter. The only reason don't have a dog is due to having a full-time job taking care of myself.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I used to think that cats rubbing up against you was an expression of love. But then I read somewhere that they're just marking their territory.

13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    And before you turn your back too?

14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Mother was probably dying and saw a good home and adopted you. I was at a friends house watching the 2003 FSU game when a kitten came to his door and literally adopted the family. I am bitching about every bad call in the game (and for once I was right; it was a robbery) and he is just petting this cat and saying how cute it was. And it was. 18 years later and they still have the cat. But we digress; COCO started a thread about wolves, so we should stick to them

15. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    It is kind of funny, she loves to run however when I take her out in the front yard as long as I am watching her I have perfect voice control over her. If I take my eyes off of her for 1 second to pick something up or to answer my phone she is gone and I have to chase after her. I do think sometimes she anticipates my moves, it is the only way she could react so quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Herding dogs can't seem to resist herding even if never trained to do so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    They see it as fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    Agreed, that is why sometimes a herding breed are not the best for small children. My niece had blue heeler that was always nipping at her kids heels and tripping them up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Cats spend all day plotting your death. If they ever get opposable thumbs it’s over.

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    We had a border collie mix. She was older but THE most mellow dog we ever had. We made her a hospital therapy dog and she was great at it except for the occasional nip at the custodian or taller figures that for whatever reason caught her attention. It was never an aggressive bite but a true herding move and a nip at the pants or a low hanging hand. We countered it with distraction when we noticed her focusing on someone but it was an innate behavior that was never going to fully disappear

• Funny Funny x 1