Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Does President Trump Own a Stake in Sanofi?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ncargat1, Apr 7, 2020.

1. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    This is by no means proof of anything. It is a passing sentence in stories on the Active Pharma website tucked inside of updates on various drugs. So, not even meriting the status as an unsubstantiated rumor at this point. Also, this could mean nothing more than he owns mutual funds that own Sanofi stock......so do I for that matter. However, I still find it interesting.

Coronavirus tracker: Alexion launches trial; Lilly, BMS extend help; Trump offers to treat British PM

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Too bad he apparently doesn't own stock in a legit mask manufacturer.

Even first time Congress members were able to quickly pounce on those stocks.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wife and I had the same thoughts. Trump has been almost obsessively pushing hydroxychloroquine and the first question the Donald asks himself with respect to any decision is how will this benefit Donald Trump and/or the Trump Organization? I'm not saying that Trump actually has a financial interest in promoting the drug but it is a very real possibility. As a treatment for Covid-19 Gilead's remdesivir is probably more promising although chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine has the advantage of being relatively inexpensive and at least prior to the current apparent hoarding readily available.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL

FYI

Generic Plaquenil
    Several drug companies currently manufacture generic Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine), including Sandoz, Mylan Pharmaceuticals, and Watson Laboratories. The generic medication, which is sold by the name hydroxychloroquine, is only available in a 200 mg strength. The FDA has determined that all generic Plaquenil products currently available are equivalent to the brand-name version of the drug

Generic Plaquenil

I'm not even sure it Sanofi even still makes it..

5. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Exactly.....Novartis committed to donating up to 130 million 200mg doses of generic hydroxychloroquine to support Covid-19 pandemic response globally. Other big pharmaceuticals, including Teva and Mylan, will also produce the drug for Covid-19 treatment in infected patients.

Not only that the patent is expired, anybody can make it.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. oaklandroadie2

oaklandroadie2 Freshman

Nov 14, 2017
    YOU'VE GOT HIM THIS TIME VA!!!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-almost-certainly-about-politics-not-profits/

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm willing to concede that Trump probably doesn't have a financial interest in promoting hydroxychloroquine. His obsessive promotion of the drug is probably more of a case of trying to create hope to compensate for his earlier failure of not taking the Covid-19 pandemic threat seriously.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Well, if they do not, someone should tell the head of Sanofi in France....

The Interview - Coronavirus: 'We hope Plaquenil will save people,' says Sanofi's Olivier Bogillot

9. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Or just trying to show hope for what seems to be a possible treatment, considering most all US hospitals are using it off label at this point. Regardless of your opinion of a "failure" early on..

10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think you're confusing me with another poster. I never used the word "failure" in reference to hydroxychloroquine/chloroquine. What I have stated in other posts, is that it is too early to draw any conclusions one way or another. We should really wait until clinical trials on the efficacy of the drugs on the treatment of Covid-19 have been completed. There is some very limited evidence based on very small samples that it may be beneficial in the treatment of cases with moderate symptoms although at this time the near consensus in the medical community seems to be that it's way too early to draw any conclusions. I believe that's what Dr. Fauci was going to say at the presser (and had previously said) before he was interupted by Trump.

I would also add that if Trump had just limited his statements to the effect that drugs may show promise it would have been fine. He went much further coming close to saying that the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin may be a cure (never actually went that far but the implication was there).

There’s scant evidence so far for chloroquine as a COVID-19 drug — but there’s already a shortage

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Trump's pushing of the drug has been fairly bizarre.

Trump’s Aggressive Advocacy of Malaria Drug for Treating Coronavirus Divides Medical Community

How Fox News convinced Trump that it found a miracle cure for coronavirus

Behind the right's crazed search for a COVID-19 miracle cure

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    No I was speaking to your opinion of Trump's failure on taking the Covid situation seriously, no specific to any treatments.

14. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    It is not bizarre at all.....It doesn't matter how I word this you are going to attack some portion of it regardless of my point but here goes....Trump is a doer, he is not the type of person to say lets sit back and wait. He sees something that looks like it works. He believes it works, he sees little drawbacks to trying it. He is just saying go for it. It's that simple. Stop the conspiracy theory stuff.

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe this drug just works on COVID-19 better than anything we have right now? I heard one of the doctors on Fox News say that if treated with Hydroxicloriquin at the start of symptoms that it's the best available drug to treat COVID-19.

16. Gator515151

Apr 4, 2007
    According to Trump’s financial disclosure, he owns between $1,000 - $15,000 of Dodge & Cox fund.

Dodge & Cox’s fund has 2.9% of its money in Sanofi.

Trump owns 2.9% of btw $1,000 - $15,000.

Trump owns $29 to $435 of stock.

17. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    I agree with you, but think it's funny that a conservative is telling us to stop with the conspiracy theories lol.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. woollybooger

woollybooger VIP Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Be thankful that many of the people on this forum at least conceed the possibilty that the treatment might work. I fought with people for a week that accused him of lying when he said it was an FDA approved drug (for malaria use). Yes, they were technically right, but they had an entirely differant motive for saying it as we all know.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  19. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Actually, if you have a public pension, 401k, or even an IRA, chances are you are equally invested in the same companies as Trump. These are index funds and I have about 14 or 15 and if I peel away what is in those funds, I'll find an entry for pharma and a listing of companies. At first I didn't find it but recently my financial planner sold one of my stakes and bought into another a lo and behold, there it is. Along with overseas makers of PPE. Purchased March 1st, 2020. Not much, maybe $770 worth but there it is.

20. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Also, MSM might make a big deal of it, but hospitals aren't. There are protocols in place in some of the hospitals in Alabama, and I won't name any because I'm not allowed to, but here is a snippet from one hospital's treatment guidance:

For asymptomatic and Mild symptoms, standard stuff and you are sent home. But for Moderate (Hospitalized) and Severe (ICU), the treatments are Remdesivir's clinical trial and Hydroxychloroquine, although not routinely recommended until RCT data, although providers may use at their discretion.