Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Does EJ have one more year?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    EJ is 4th year. The era of top QBs waiting that long is gone. OU is benching the preseason Heisman favorite for a true freshman.

Best comp I have for EJ is Kelly Bryant at Clemson. Not bad. Just not championship level.

AR is clearly the highest upside and higher floor guy. He’s a better runner and a better passer. His mechanics are way better. He reads the field way better. Better accuracy. Stronger arm. Breaks more tackles

The only thing we don’t know is who knows more of the playbook, who sets protections better, etc.

Regardless both are starting caliber in 2023. AR at an elite program, EJ at a solid one. They’d be fools if they aren’t starting.

Some of you are acting like it’s still 1980

2. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Not to make excuses but EJ is revealing to me that he's deeper than I thought. I'm getting the impression that he is in his own head and battling the pressure. My optimism is in believing he's going to mature and his instincts and athleticism take over at some point.

Reading the D and making great throws is a great thing. I don't expect him to be anything near Trask. Some folks won't like his style but if he gets to the point where he instantly knows when to throw, when to dump off, when to throw it away, and when to take off .. in total command ... he could be dynamite. The kid has shown some ability and a smoothness seen in the great DT QBs. So much of RPO is split second, almost prescience. It's a true gift for those who can do it best.

It's nice to have a QB drop back and feel confident he's going to throw a good ball to the right place but call me crazy, I like when a QB drops back and I hold my breath a little. And the D is scared.

Of course I woudn't be so confident if the Oline and skill players weren't very good and improving as they are.

3. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Relax, man. It’s the internet. I wouldn’t take it so seriously.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Definitely a mostly internal struggle for him at this point, as he has the tools to be very effective in this offense. Be nice to see him turn the corner, but I'd be more optimistic if this were his second year in the program and not his fourth.

Here's to hoping today is that day it finally clicks.

5. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    But honestly it’s a moot point to discuss. AR will do his thing, if he wants to play and go pro ASAP then he transfers. If he doesn’t he won’t. Up to him

Some people will say the Gator QB is good enough no matter what. It happened with Franks, Treon, and everyone else. Some will be happy with decent QBs like EJ. I’m the type that thinks we do whatever we can to get a top 10 in CFB QB. That’s the level required to win titles. We all support all the players.

It just comes down to different standard and different long term program expectations

• Like Like x 1
  6. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Disagree. It’s not a confidence issue. He struggles to read the field and has awful mechanics (not just a long motion like Tebow, he has multiple major flaws). One can say his late throws can be confidence based but I think it has more to do with the reasons o mentioned

7. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Would anyone disagree that AR still has the top 2 passes this year in terms of accuracy, difficulty, mechanics?? As well as the top 2 runs this year.

8. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    Mullen will never start AR over EJ unless we got lucky like the Kyle situation. Just think how much we ended up benefitting because of HAVING NO choice but to start Trask. I think that is CM biggest problem. Once his mind is set on a QB, it's over. At least Muschamp would rotate much more.

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

oh

10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Lithium is your friend