Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Does EJ have one more year?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Oct 13, 2021.

1. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hate to be so blunt, but what you are saying is FOS.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    El Wrongo. You actually deserved worse. I went easy on you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Simmer down Nancy I was just breaking ur balls. It’s a dude thing , you’ll catch on

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry you are confused. It all makes sense to me. What I am saying is that if you are waiting for him to improve it isn't going to happen. He is who he is going to be as a QB at the upper echelon of college football. More time isn't going to make him read defenses and lead open receivers instead of throwing AT them or set his feet correctly before throwing it. I can see where he may have had "first game jitters" but he has clearly moved beyond that. You are seeing all there is.

I am merely saying is he may desire to be a quality teammate or he may desire being The Man. I think he is going to want to start and so to me it won't be at the U of F. But if he likes it there and does not mind AR or maybe even one of the other guys starting and coming off the bench then...okay by me.

Now, since you opened up the box, IF he starts next year then it is a clear indictment on Mullen. As I have posted on plenty of other threads, Mullen seems to be married to a system unless he is forced to change. I sincerely hope he isn't. No one can explain to a high level what happened against Kentucky except...Mullen had the game all figured out and when it magically didn't go as planned - you know some humans made some human mistakes - he did not shift gears. Mullen lost that game, plain and simple.

And to that, I am still concerned how little he played AR in the Vandy game. And it is absolutely confounding how he could have let EJ play regular ball after the game was essentially over (early in the 3rd quarter) and had AR in just for mop-up duty. What value was there in that? AR wasn't going to do something SO egregious during a live fire scrimmage to threaten the win against that Vandy team. And then.....remember we have TWO other quarterbacks who have not had ONE snap in college football. One of them could have done what Mullen did with AR at the end of the game. And yet...

It is rather plain if you want to see it. Mullen will play the best guy at QB next year and if EJ is that person, Mullen is going to lose other games like Kentucky because of his stubbornness to his system. And that is going to define a ceiling that I am not sure this group of fans desire in a football head coach.

Did I make myself less confusing?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I am one who thinks Emory's ceiling is quite a bit higher. He's still learning. Say what you will about years in the system but I see a guy who is working, improving and still getting comfortable as starter and leader.

I could see him making quite a leap as a fearsome dual threat humming in the Mullen O and emerging as a strong leader.

Probably next year and that's cool because watching Gators grow is very satisfying.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. freedomgator

Mar 26, 2017
    Would be dope if this happened but this won't happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. trey65

trey65 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Tampa Bay
    Tim Tebow won the Heisman as a true sophomore. Why does it take years for Mullen to develop a QB? I'm disappointed in how EJ has played (Bama was the exception).
    EJ just figured out this year the importance of preparation, film study? It's disappointing to hear in year 4 of a QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. freedomgator

Mar 26, 2017
    Anyone want to tell him who coached Tim Tebow?

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    You are so right!
    We need to hire the guy who coached Tebow from a raw freshman to the Heisman trophy winner.
    The guy who was with Tebow each and every day, and who personally oversaw his development.

Find that guy, and dump loads of cash on him.

Who was that guy anyway? And you go find him for us??

11. yellowboy90

yellowboy90 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    A Full Analysis of Gators QBs Kyle Trask and Emory Jones Entering 2020

Treash: Why Florida’s Kyle Trask is not an elite SEC quarterback | College Football | PFF

We forget that players improve at different rates and that sample size matters when comparing players. These two articles discuss and analyze Trask but 1 article compares and Analyzes Jones. These articles are based mostly off of Trask as a junior with one article done after the 1st 4 games of his Senior season.

We also must remember that people have bias that creep in there analysis so you can see a difference in the way a narrative is displayed when watching Top billing, GNFP, or anyone else. For example, James at GNFP is more relaxed when it comes to Hopper play because he likes his aggressiveness but another person might rip into him about consistent missed tackles and not wrapping up and during his analysis he continues to harp on it creating a poor narrative.

I'm guilty of similar bias and if I was doing breakdown would probably kill Diabate because I see him look horrible try to tackle in space. I remember him vs Bama and see home miss tackles this year as well so I might ignore some of his positives and drive home a narrative of how bad a Lb he is. I do not know if this is true or not because I have not broke down film but I am aware I would go in with a bias.

12. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Tebow was born holding a football.

Troll

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. trey65

trey65 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Tampa Bay
    My post was not of criticism of Mullen. So relax.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. trey65

trey65 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Tampa Bay
    If it were NOT for Urban Meyer, Tebow would have gone to Bama. What a smart ass!

15. trey65

trey65 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Tampa Bay
    I've forgotten more about Gator football than you will ever know.

16. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Dang! You must absolutely rule your middle school.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. trey65

trey65 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Tampa Bay
    Urban
    You are a low life.

18. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Maybe. But I'm living the high life!

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. freedomgator

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's all true, and 90% of QBs use that entire first season as an obvious development season. The reality is that, after 3-4 starts, most of the really good QBs start showing their excellence regularly even though there will be still be glaring rookie-starter mistakes.

I don't really have an issue with how Mullen has handled it thus far, but it's obvious EJ isn't out there flashing greatness for a few series and then stalling for a head-scratching noob drive or two.

You usually see new QBs shed the tentativeness and grab their role on the team by this point of the rookie season. It looked like the Bama game could have been that turning point at the time, but things have gone the opposite direction for EJ since and 'serviceable' has become the mode at the moment.

IMO the long leash for EJ has as much to do with where AR actually is as it does anything else, and the program doesn't have the other pieces to compensate for 'adequate' QB play and still get to the lofty goals it espouses.

• Like Like x 1