Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Does EJ have one more year?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Oct 13, 2021.

1. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Which was the deep throw over the middle for a TD? Not the RB dump which he shorted? The other deep throw was the backpedal to Whittemore? Great throw, amazing throw, but maybe watching pat mahomes too much. Although it does seem Jones throws better on the run. Wonder why Mullen won't do it more? The unintended back shoulder completion isn't an improvement. It's the same thing we saw with Bama. Off target throws that ended up with good results.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Have you ever watched both top billing and GNFP break down the same play? It's interesting to see what they choose to focus on.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    EJ is definitely more comfortable and more accurate throwing on the run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. royalewitcheesee

royalewitcheesee GC Legend

Nov 20, 2016
    Agree. He seems to play better when he can just play football and create. When he sits in the pocket and has to make reads on defense, progressions, etc. is where he struggles.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    It's interesting...driskell is in the NFL, and so is brissett, and Grier, and Frank's. Does anyone think EJ will be an NFL qb?
    And it certainly is fair to compare players. Why wouldn't we do that?

6. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Mullen's steady hand with quarterbacks isn't fully appreciated by many here. This year he has helped build Jones' confidence and experience while deliberately grooming Richardson with some important snaps and giving him a national platform to shine. The two disappointing losses have come from an offensive line that kept shooting themselves in the foot at Kentucky and a DC that was too slow to tighten his coverages against Bama. Jones's shortcomings were a distant and removed factor.

Jones' knowledge of the offense makes him the better choice for now even if he isn't an elite passer and Mullen the architect of the explosive and effective Gator offense gets to watch him in practice every day. He knows exactly where AR's development stands. If you want to fairly criticize Mullen you can point to his allowing Corral to get away a couple of years ago and not his choice to play the steadier hand in Jones.

Jones does need to clean up some of his miscues which have left too many points on the board. Richardson may have wowed fans with his impressive size and speed and as a runner but is still very raw and an unproven game manager and passer and despite hysterical knee jerk calls for him to drop the clipboard and get behind center this has already been exposed a bit. Throw AR to the wolves before he is ready will threaten to blow up his confidence as the benching of Jones may destroy his. Then with both qbs no longer appearing to be the answer, Mullen will have no viable option. As of today, Mullen still has two choices and both are confident and hungry.

Richardson, as it stands, is right on schedule and Jones is growing as a qb even if he will never measure up to Trask. It would be foolish for AR to get impatient and leave a proven developer of qbs though he has the ability to do so. He knows his turn will come at Florida and when it does he will be well positioned to shine in an exciting offense, led by a great offensive mind and surrounded by plenty of fire power.

Nobody here has expressed a single insight as to the actual communications between Mullen and AR and his plan to develop him. Nobody has expressed a single word as to how AR feels about his development plan under Mullen.

Instead, we look to muckrakers like Mike Bianchi who score cheap points with Gator haters by getting as close to starting rumors that AR is out the door as possible without actually saying that he is leaving. Such speculation is speculative, premature and harmful to the program. Yet, some Gator fans here continue to take the bait and actually find this the most amusing of Gator sports talk.

We live in a day in which sensationalism and irresponsible loose talk is celebrated. Some clearly delight in it. In the context of something as inconsequential as the starting qb at Florida it is mostly harmless talk but that doesn't make it any fun for those who see this for the cheap talk it represents.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Unlike the hard on Jones crowd, I do. It isn't a stretch to see him on an NFL roster with more development.

No, I enjoy Top Billin' too much. I want to see the evidence and be entertained.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    EJ is a good representation of Florida football as a whole. Decent, but not great, and the majority involved are okay with that.

From where I’m sitting, it’s still an improvement over the last two regimes so I’ll take it. I don’t expect any championships though.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Worth repeating. I'd give you multiple good ratings if I could. Thanks for your outstanding insight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Paragraphs are your friend. And no, Mullens steady hand is not fully appreciated....probably because fans want to see it every year. I do have an issue with his handling of QBs. You mentioned he's building EJ confidence and experience this year? Why not the first 3 years?

If a 4th year guy isn't ready, has he really been developed properly? If 4th year guy wasn't ready game 1, then I definitely am not worried about throwing a 2nd year guy to the wolves.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  11. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    EJ is quite serviceable, but most believe he is far behind where we would expect someone with that number of years of coaching and training to be. Maybe it clicks for next year…. But for elite players they come in with it already clicking. The board has had the “but freshman don’t play” for ever as a cover for recruitment. The struts why I got on the liver transplant list early ;)

YMMV, go Gators

12. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I made a post regarding this in the recruiting thread and it’s quite evident more often than not if we get elite kids, they tend to contribute either year 1 or year too. Here’s what i said

“shocking right? A highly rated player actually producing. Under Mullen, when we get top 150 kids right out of HS, they usually become contributors year 1 or two:

Copeland
    Gouriage
    Emory

Elam
    Hopper
    Zipperer
    Bogle
    Diabate

Dexter
    Wingo
    Hendo

Marshall
    Scooby
    Sapp
    Collier
    CDRW”

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nostradamus

Nostradamus VIP Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Designed rollouts basically cuts the field in half. EJ throws well on the run, but sitting in the pocket opens up the whole field. Depending on what the defense does it can work well - just can’t do it all the time.

That rollout throw to Whittemore last week was an NFL caliber throw. The int was ugly even for a HS game. EJ is capable of doing both. Wide variance in outcomes. Hopefully he makes more high caliber throws (downfield) and fewer sketchy ones as he gains more experience.

EJ may have had a number of years in the system, but he didn’t get that many game reps, and outside of the Auburn game a few years ago when Trask was hurt, I don’t think he’s even had back to back series. Same w AR this year. Kinda hard to develop any rhythm getting a series here and there. So even tho he’s been here a while, I think he still needs experience. In his first few starts, Trask threw some questionable passes and needed to adjust to game speed and develop a feel. EJs learning curve is definitely not as fast as Trask’s, and he may never get to the point where he is relaxed, reads the whole field and throws really accurate passes.

looking forward to LSU. We’ll learn more about EJ and the rest of the team.

14. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Of course it’s fair but my point was I feel like Trask still doesn’t get quite the credit he deserves. That’s all. Guy was phenomenal.

And we weren’t comparing comparable things, ie Jones running numbers vs Trask or completion percentage when there’s clearly a massive difference in the type and distance of completed passes. Completely different systems. So saying Jones has better rushing numbers is like, who gives a sh*t, would any of you take Jones over Trask?! Didn’t think so.

Trask is a QB. Emory is an athlete. Great kid but not a great passer and can’t read/anticipate the defense.

Yes Trask is better at QB than all of the people you listed in the NFL IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    Don't care what Murf thinks. Dude analyzes like three plays. Insofar as Tim Tebow is concerned, EJ is not him. The point was that EJ is erratic. The bar may as well be in the stratosphere? You're trying too hard here. Richardson looks very capable of beating out Jones. Time will tell if he does, but again the point was that the bar is low so it's reasonable to think that AR could get there relatively quickly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    EJ is erratic because the throwing fundamentals just aren't there. As many stated, he can make throws on the run, but you will be more accurate if you set your feet and drive through your throws. He has thrown on the run several times where he had more than ample time to stop and set his feet. Even in the pocket, many times he will be leaning back while throwing even when no one is around him.

QB is hard enough to play without handicapping yourself with poor mechanics. Its one thing most of us noticed pretty quickly with AR is he will set his feet and step into throws. EJ has made some remarkable throws on the run including the TD to Whit, but if I was a coach, I wouldn't really want my qb to launch a fall away jump pass across my body unless it was 4th down with the game on the line and there was no other choice.

EJ can read pre snap well and while the post snap reading is more for show, he is more than serviceable in this offense. Perhaps post snap reading is starting to click, but no NFL team will want to invest in a QB with such poor throwing fundamentals. I am skeptical he can change it at this point as it honed in his muscle memory, but if he could, I think his accuracy would be dramatically improved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Where in hell is this coming from? There is no basis Whatsoever for these comments. "Cooked"?? What does that even mean?

And you have no personal knowledge of "what he desires", whoever it is you are referring to.

18. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    When u struggle to recruit ur level
    Of worry may need to be adjusted

19. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I think u took 1 part nonsense and mixed it with 1 part make believe to make ur choose ur own adventure there. You’re picking and choosing things that can’t exactly be parsed. More specifically what ur saying and what I’m saying aren’t really the same topic
    *all due respect

• Like Like x 1
  20. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Agree with all that. I just don't think Emory needs the whole field...he's not gonna use it. The throw to Whittemore was nfl level - but it's also one that he shouldn't have thrown....backpedaling and doing a jump throw? Frustrating when he can do something like that, and then be off on most every other moving route by a few yards.

Why won't Mullen prepare his backup QB?

• Agree Agree x 1