Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Does EJ have one more year?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus VIP Member

Sep 18, 2015
    EJ has proven to this point that he can’t read the field. The film doesn’t lie. He sees the field the way Franks did. First read, half field read, and then run. Our WRs are running open and a QB who can see that would be carving up our opponents.

AR sees the field better. May not know all of the playbook, but is a natural QB.

CDM needs to manage this correctly or he’s gonna have a problem on his hands.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    If he is that good, he is gone after one year. He ain’t coming back for 23 and 24. he might not even come back for 23.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steveGator52

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Really? They both had the same amount of time in Mullen’s system at that time. The offense instantly looked better with Trask, and that was with no fall/spring practices to tailor the offense to Trask’s strengths. This was with making changes on the fly. 2020 was most likely how the offense would have looked if it was tailored to Trask’s strengths from the beginning.

There is no comparison between the two. Trask came into an offense designed for Franks. EJ came into an offense designed for EJ, who is also in his 4th year in the system. You don’t have to tear down one qb to prop up the other qb.

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Trask was pretty much getting the same game stats in 19 as he did in 20. He was a bit better in 20 …..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Joaqui

Joaqui Premium Member

Jul 17, 2016
    i need to see his ints go down before i claim that he is improving. I understand the completion percentage but that means nothing when the majority of his throws are within 10 yards. Lets see him use his arm and make the deep throws without the ints. It he can do that then i have bo reservations about him being the qb next year (not that it matters).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lots of stats to back up the words. Glad you didn't try to deny the improvement.

Murf at Top Billin' disagrees with your one-read take. So do I. Insofar as mechanics are concerned, Tim Tebow had bad mechanic for all of his years at Florida and in the NFL. That didn't stop him from being the UF starter, winning a Heisman, and winning a NC as the starter.

It doesn't matter where the bar is. It may as well be in the stratosphere. Richardson isn't at this time capable of beating out Jones.

Again, this is a tough crowd on Emory Jones that you are a part of.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    2021 - Emory Jones
    2022 - Emory Jones
    2023 - Anthony Richardson
    2024 - Anthony Richardson
    2025 - Nick Evers
    2026 - Nick Evers

I'll bet that it's more likely that Nellies on this board will be calling for NE to start over AR in 2024 than the chance that AR transfers out.

This post may not age that well, but whether it does or doesn't, no one will remember it by the time it happens. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Last weekend, you didn't see the deep throw over the middle for a TD? How about the deep throw on the money for a TD in the endzone? He was short on the deep throw on the sideline, but it was still an unintended back shoulder throw completion. Improvement.

INTs MUST be improved. No more short fields. On that we do agree.

Unfortunately, no one else has asserted themselves to replace Jones. We have what we have so root for the best. Jones is a work in progress so he hasn't reached his potential.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I wouldn't discount Del Rio or Kitna at this point with them being true freshmen. Mullen will have some difficult decisions at QB moving forward. I'd only ask that the best practice and game player start whomever it is. That should be happening at all of our positions.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. shaun10

shaun10 Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    This is why you recruit football IQ over athleticism. I get tired of hearing what great athletes some of these guys are, especially when talking about the QB position. Mullen had better start recruiting guys that show an ability to read defenses in high-school, or his offenses are never going to be elite. They will be good but not elite. Jones isn't the guy. Don't think AR is either.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. steveGator52

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    If EJ is truely reading the field, then how does he miss those receivers that are coming open? Why does he predetermine where he is going with the ball? Why does he force passes into triple coverage? You do see how that idea seems counterintuitive, don’t you?

If EJ is reading the field, then what good is that if he doesn’t pull the trigger unless the routes are wide open? I think Mullen has EJ going through the proper motions, but that doesn’t mean EJ is processing those additional inputs.

For example, play A is a hitch to the WR. Just because EJ looks over at a different receiver to try to move the safety doesn’t mean EJ is actually reading the safety. Even if he goes through the above motions, he has already decided to throw the hitch no matter what the safety does. UK didn’t bite on anything EJ did and played the run/short passes the whole time.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Yep, don’t sleep on Carlos!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    “Struggles to throw to moving targets” is an enormous understatement of the facts.
    I agree with u down the line. Frankly it blows that we will get blasted for being bad fans or not knowing shit if we dare to acknowledge what’s so blatantly obvious. Ej god love him is not a championship level qb and hasn’t shown the level of progress to make anyone think he can be. That’s not speculation, it’s just what is visible to anyone watching.

This is why I asked somewhere in here the other day for y’all to just let me know what our goals are from here on out so I can adjust my expectations. U tell
    Me we’re good with really good and not elite championship level play then fine I’ll stop speaking up about what I can’t help but see every week. But as long as the staff and the patrons are telling me we’re maintaining a “gator standard” and that sec and natl titles are our aim then it’s either disingenuous or or flatly ignorant to say that what we’re seeing is worthy of that level of expectation.

fwiw I wanted nothing more than for ej to be that guy that would finish the climb that Kyle started. That being said I can wish in one and shit in the other and see which one fills first. These decisions are not supposed to be easy , it’s why these guys get paid incredible sums of money to make them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know how you can be so sure of your beliefs. Have you attended UF practices? Murf at Top Billin' is fun and accurate. He doesn't share your views, even gives video examples that dispute your claims.

Again, a tough crowd and especially so since there is no deserving starting alternative at this time. We'd just be starting the season over, giving up on this season, with a change to Richardson. I'll leave it at that with you.

• Like Like x 1
  15. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    As aside , anyone that is gaming this thing out thinking there won’t be major fallout from ej remaining the starter through next year is probably being overly optimistic. The negative recruiting alone would be a hellish price to pay for a staff that doesn’t totally kill it on the trail.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. stabnburn

stabnburn Senior

Sep 12, 2017
    I'd advise that you stop relying on Top Billin' where he shows a few plays and talks for entertainment purposes and start focusing more on the full game breakdowns by GNFP. Emory's deficiencies are obvious and have barely been improved over his career. He's a solid option at QB for an above average to good team, but he is not anywhere near good enough to elevate a good team to a great one.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  17. steveGator52

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    And GNFP videos show the exact opposite of what Murf says, so what’s your point? If EJ is throwing into double/triple coverage with other receivers open, then what does that say about his reading the field? Vanderbilt is the worst team in the SEC, so I take either qbs play last week with a grain of salt. Vanderbilt is probably worse than the first two teams we played this year. We will see what the LSU game shows and whether it looks more like the Vandy game or the UK game.

But looking off the safety is not the same as reading the safety, even though they may look similar. The latter implies the qb is reading the field, while the former implies the qb has already decided where to go with the ball pre-snap and is going to throw it no matter what. And that has been the complaint about EJ, that he locks on his primary receiver, which isn’t a problem as long as Mullen has called the correct play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    UF is not at SEC and NC levels yet. It's getting closer, but not yet without improvements. Unfortunately, the QB can only help improve turnovers which I expect to happen with more development, but penalties is a team lack of performance that must be addressed too. Can't put 4-2 all on the starting QB which the tough on Emory Jones crowd is want to do.

Championships ain't happening this season. The Florida Standard is to compete for SECs and NCs. Winning those is the ultimate goal, not the standard.

Time to fill up your shit bag.....

• Like Like x 2
  19. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Trask was the best QB we’ve had since Tebow. Hands down. Comparing ANYBODY on our current roster to our Heisman finalist, touchdown record holding, 2nd round draft pick, is unfair.

No QB on this team could hold Kyle’s jockstrap. Those are just the facts.

Having said that, I think we see more AR in the future but I don’t think he’s quite ready yet to take the reigns.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Improvement as a QB is pretty difficult to gauge. There are good games, bad games and luck. How much is playcalling vs improvement? Is being able to take advantage of vandys aggressive lbs an improvement if other teams play it safer?

Top billing is a salesman. He's a promoter. I think GNFP does a much better job of simply talking about film, although both naturally have biases. Mechanics are an issue when you aren't accurate. Tebow was pretty accurate if I remember, Jones is not - throwing downfield.

I think AR is certainly capable of beating out Jones. But I don't think we will ever know. Plus I think a lot of it depends on whatbus most important to Mullen. I think its a tough crowd at any major football school when a player doesn't live up to standards/hype/expectations.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1