Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Does EJ have one more year?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Oct 13, 2021.

1. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Some have mentioned if EJ returns AR may bolt. Frankly, I am fine with EJ's progress, I believe the first two games DM was experimenting as to what EJ can do and then adjust to his strengths. With each game he is improving. I don't fault him for the UK game, I believe DM called a very conservative game and UK's D is legit. Yes, I know he does tend to miss some open receivers, but that too will improve connecting those open wr's as he gains more experience.
    I am fine in how DM is bringing AR along. And if AR wants to bolt rather than waiting his turn like EJ or KT, so be it. I believe DM is recruiting well at the qb position. If EJ stays another year, I think he will be fantastic.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes he has one more year

And no he hasn’t gotten much better. The film doesn’t lie. He has awful mechanics, doesn’t feel pressure (technically he feels it when it’s not there), and struggles to throw to moving targets (anywhere, but especially downfield, he loves the hitch).

He has strengths, primarily as a running QB. But he isn’t remotely close to championship caliber at this point.

Maybe he improves, but all we can go by is the film right now. And the film is very ugly for EJ as a passer.

• Agree Agree x 23
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Heisman and title 2022!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There is no singular right way to handle it when dealing with a situation like this. Rare one has the wunderkind that makes it obvious, and much more likely the new guys are some form of not quite ready.

Decisions simply need to be made by weighing the evidence in front of you, and unless you buy that CDM is intentionally working against his own interests, it sure looks like a logical and methodical progression for both AR and EJ so far.

The AR/EJ 'battle' is going to work itself out in spring '22, not during this season when both are getting their feet wet and both are far from a finished product. It's more likely than not that one isn't on the roster in August, but that's just how it goes at this point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gatorsforevr

gatorsforevr GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Most people here, myself included, are going to flip out if we were to lose AR because Mullen names Emory the starter next year. I do expect Mullen to name Emory the starter next year because nothing he has done in his time here says that he will start the RS Sophomore over the RS Senior but I am not ready to think that AR will bolt. That being said, I'm sure AR's going to get some nice offers to go other places. If he does leave, Mullen's stubbornness will have pushed away the type of talent that Mullen struggles to recruit because he can't make the tough decisions.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
  6. trump4life

trump4life All American

Oct 7, 2020
    Tallahassee
    With the 2020 covid year, doesn’t he have 2 years left? Not that he would use both.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He has a better completion percentage than Trask when he took over. I blame Mullen for forcing him into a run scheme instead of letting him rip it. Kids gonna continue to get better.

Mullen got into his own heads (yes he has more than one head/multiple personalities) with visions of a leading rushing offense and RPO. Put all of his eggs into the rushing basket instead of development the passing game because it's safe.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    He has an extra year to play college ball...somewhere else than UF. He is cooked. He can bask in his glory somewhere else. Now if he wants to be a good teammate then stay and be a part. I just don't think that is what he desires.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You're referring to Anthony Richardson?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. gatorsforevr

gatorsforevr GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Mullen runs a one read offense to make things extremely easy for Emory thus the completion percentage but the tape shows all of the reasons why Mullen uses the run scheme. Emory doesn't trust his eyes, arm, or coaching when throwing the ball. Mullen tries to scheme the one read to be wide open because that's the only time Emory lets it rip, he'll tuck and run or he'll just sit in the pocket waiting which leads to the numerous late throws. Trask was elite at reading defenses and you saw how advanced Mullen can get in the passing game when he has an elite passing QB, he doesn't have that with Emory.

The best QBs know how to throw a guy open or throw to space, Trask did it all the time but do you remember Emory ever doing it? There's a reason people are saying that every throw with Emory is a hitch.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So you are saying Mullen has chosen the wrong QB? This is Emory's 3rd season in the system and Mullen still doesn't know this? Or are you saying we haven't recruited well?

Trask was elite in his 5th year. He wasn't even the starter in his 4th year. Give Emory time to develop in real games.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    He gets his in 23 and 24.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    fwiw, this is EJ’s 4th year in the system, he’s a RS Junior, might’ve been Dan’s first recruit. Carry on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You are correct. Trask was the class of 2016 and Jones 2018. Trask has 2 years on Emory and didn't ball out until his final year. So maybe we can be patient with Emory.

Emory has more all purpose yards than Trask at this point in their careers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them didn’t even go through spring practice at UF. I would be shocked if both are in fall camp, at UF. Emory is the starter, baring injury, will likely come out of the season as the starter. He’s probably gonna want some assurance or affirmation that he is still the starter going into spring practice. Otherwise, just don’t see him wanting to go through anything that’s billed as an open competition for the position. He would be a big get on the portal circuit, and he knows it, and will be told that by pursuers. On the other side, just don’t see any way AR waits around as the second fiddle getting crumbs until 23. He would be the biggest portal star going, bar none, and he knows it. Obviously, we shall see how this all unfolds, gonna be very interesting, to say the least.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Lots of hate for Emory, but he’s gonna be fine. Thank God Dan knows what he’s doing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  17. gatorempire

gatorempire GC Legend

Jul 23, 2021
    I think Emory will be fine, too. I think his ceiling is not super high, though. In my opinion the move is to keep Emory the starter and keep easing AR in. You can't be worried about a player transferring. It happens. AR has looked phenomenal at moments but mostly against lesser competition. Pump the brakes, ease him in, let's see where we end up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Emory Jones is improving. No, he's not yet a finished product:

UF Passing In OOC Play:

Attempts: 60 - 13th in SEC
    Completions: 37 - 13th in SEC
    Completion %: 61.7 - 7th in SEC
    Yrds/Completion: 7.6 - 8th in SEC
    Total Yrds/Game: 228 - 10th in SEC
    INTS: 4 - 13th tied in SEC
    TDs: 4 - 12th tied in SEC

UF Passing in 4 SEC Games:

Attempts: 116 - 2nd in SEC
    Completions: 82 - 2nd in SEC
    Completion %: 70.7 - 2nd in SEC
    Yrds/Completion: 8.0 - 5th in SEC
    Total Yrds/Game: 231.5 - 8th in SEC
    INTs: 4 - 13th tied in SEC
    TDs: 8 - 1st tied in SEC

Emory Jones and the Gators passing game has improved since the start of SEC play.

The lagging improvement needed is with passes intercepted. I mentioned turnovers and penalties as improvements needed in my thread of why UF is 4-2 instead of 6-0. The INTs have gone down from 4 in two OOC games to 4 in four SEC games. It's not ideal, but it is improvement.

Considering Emory Jones didn't get his first start until this season, it's a tough crowd for sure. He's improving which is good. I don't see him as a 1 read QB. He has been doing his progressions out to two, sometimes three, before he takes off or throws the ball away. He has also been able to move DBs around with his eyes which is another good talent he is developing. By the time we get through at LSU and UGALY, I think, I hope, Emory will have given everyone more improvement to be thankful for plus 2 SEC wins.

With 2020 not counting towards eligibility, Jones can play in 21 and 22.

If Anthony Richardson can beat out Emory Jones, he will start. I haven't seen anything more than some impressive busted/athletic plays to suggest he will be able to beat Jones out this season. His INT vs. Vandy was was just plain ugly. If Richardson is to be elevated to starter, he'll have to take the job from Emory Jones.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Comparing EJ's passing abilities to Trask's is like comparing Trask's running abilities to EJ's.

• Agree x 7
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
  20. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    I agree with some of this. EJ has improved. He does need to improve with respect to picks, his pick against Vandy was just as ugly as AR's.

I also disagree with some of this. Dude is pretty much a one read QB, his mechanics aren't good, and as a result he's erratic. Mullen has done a great job scheming wide open targets and EJ has either failed to see them, or thrown poor balls that turn TDs into lesser completions or incompletions. AR will have to take the job, but the bar is not super high.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1