Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Doctors are torturing dementia patients at the end of their life. And it’s totally unnecessary.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Nov 29, 2019.

1. studegator

studegator All American

Feb 24, 2008
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ewsletter&wpisrc=nl_personalizedforyou&wpmm=1
    About 1 in 4 elderly people will develop dementia. Many of them will be tortured by doctors. I should know: I am one of those doctors.

I recently tortured an 88-year-old woman with advanced dementia. Her mind was gone. She didn’t know her own name. Like other advanced dementia patients, she suffered incontinence, aggression, immobility, unaddressed pain and more. Her quality of life was dismal.

Her family brought her to the hospital because she had a high fever and was more confused than usual. I knew that she was near her end.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Hate seeing people like that near the end but a more likely scenario is hearing a doctor trying to shame a family into ending the person's life early even after being told first hand it wasn't the family's wishes. I witnessed that first hand from the room beside my mother's before she went to hospice for her final days

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Why is that more likely? And why would you want a loved one to live their final days in misery and confused about it all. When a family member is showing signs of dementia, the family should have a conversation with them about what they want before they are too far gone to expreas their wishes. It's hard to let someone go but also consider the pain and confusion that they are going through and what the most humane course of action might be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I have made my wishes well known to my children. Don't keep me around in body only.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    My uncle told me he didn’t want to be a vegetable- especially if it was broccoli :eek:

• Funny Funny x 7
  6. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If I get dementia I’ve let my family know that I want to continue posting on Too Hot. You won’t notice much of a difference.

• Funny Funny x 18
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Anyone remember when the Obama Administration proposed making end of life counseling a reimbursable benefit under Medicare and in response Republicans and the conservative mediaplex started screaming "Death Panels!"? Republicans apparently had little problem when the proposal was originally introduced as stand alone legislation by Republican Senator Johnny Isakson. It only became reprehensible when it was incorporated into the early version of the ACA. Interestingly, the term was coined by Betsy McCaughey, a former lobbyist for the health insurance industry and part-time conservative radio talk show star. The real reason wasn't the proposal itself but a rather obvious attempt to rally opposition to the ACA among low-information voters by using a scary catchphrase.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I thought death panels were about rationing?

9. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Dementia sucks.

That is all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    My dad (97) will be entering Hospice care very soon. Mercifully, his mind is intact and he made this decision on his own. End of life issues are simply heartrending.

I have let my kids know my wishes and put them into writing as well. After its all over, I'm to be cremated with at least some of the ashes put in Krispy Kreme glazed and fed to the bears in Ocala Forest. I owe them.

• Like Like x 5
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It was about both.
    McCaughey claims end-of-life counseling will be required for Medicare patients

12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    "off-topic"?
    I thought the topic was unnecessary futile medical care to extend life. Seems to be directly related.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    We were talking about families and doctors dealing with end of life issues, not Republican propaganda from a decade ago.

• Like Like x 1
  14. cjgator76

cjgator76 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Same here. I’ve seen family situations where those discussions hadn’t occurred, and it’s really tough on the decision makers. Or at least it was on me.

As for doctors, in my limited experience those who have a lot of geriatric patients seem to be better at telling the family when it’s time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. cjgator76

Apr 9, 2007
    Jeez, is there any topic you can’t try to turn into D vs. R?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Counseling on end of life options could significantly reduce the probability of futile inhumane albeit well meaning attempts to extend life. Back in 2009 one party started opposing Medicare reimbursement for such counseling strictly for political reasons because the other party supported the legislation providing for the reimbursement. It was the party that opposed the legislation using deceptive inflammatory language that politicized the issue. I was merely providing historic background.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I don't want to be a vegetable either. My wish is to be a slab of baby backs. ;)

I strongly advise making these decisions before something happens. I had to make the call when Mrs. GK stroked, and the best case scenario is that she would be a veg. We hadn't had the conversation so it was up to me. Fortunately, we got each other and had we had "the conversation" it would have taken about 5 seconds to come to an agreement. We were on the same page. And thank gawd for her sister as she and I were on the same page as well. Didn't make it easy though. I would hate to think what it would be like if we weren't. It ain't easy giving the go ahead to pull the plug on the love of your life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Cause I know most doctors grow up, dedicate years of their life and great sums of debt, just to get into the field of medicine dreaming of killing people, not saving them.

19. cjgator76

Apr 9, 2007
    Right.

20. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Not any that I have seen!

• Agree Agree x 1