Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Do Your Real Life Friends Know You Post on Gator Country?

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by lacuna, Jun 1, 2019.

1. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Have you told your real life friends - all, some, or none - or any relatives - about your addiction to - ah, participation on Gator Country threads? Or is it an aspect of yourself you prefer to keep to yourself?

My kids are aware I post on the site but haven't expressed any curiosity about my involvement so they have not read anything I have written on the forums. Not that I try and keep it a 'secret' from them, but it hasn't been a subject of discussion when they are around. About 10 years ago I did make the mistake of telling someone that I posted on Too Hot and linking to something I wrote on that forum. It further complicated an already complicated friendship that ultimately fractured due to a number of reasons having nothing to do with Gator Country.

We have made friends - good friends - with several people also associated with this site and enjoy their company in 'real life,' as much or more than on this website.

What's your story?

• Like Like x 1
  2. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Yes, they are all huge Gator fans but don't post here. They find my tales of Too Hot hilarious.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    All my row 10 Baseball guys and girls and my KSP crew know I post on the Diamond forum, several read frequently but don't post but 1 is a regular poster. A number of my other friends, the most sports oriented (all Gators) know I post and sometimes read as well, I have met a handful of Gator Country posters at Baseball and Softball as well as Gymnastics, MBK & WBK, 1 or 2 at VB

4. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    What could possibly go awry when a bunch of opposite extremist politicos, convinced they are right and anyone who views things differently is wrong, butt heads? On a scale of risibility that forum can quickly go to 11.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Keeps things real, for sure.

Trucker regularly watches UF women's softball games on TV and a few weeks ago I was sitting beside him reading. He told me to look at the TV at a woman he found amusing because she was seated under a large umbrella with a battery operated fan / mister to keep her cool. He was even more amused when I informed him I knew her. :p She is a member of the church I belonged to when we lived in Gainesville and we worked together on church social events several times. He had met her a couple of times but did not remember her.

• Like Like x 1
  6. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    It's funny because many of my close friends have their own steadfast ideologies so we all argue. We have the liberal (me), the libertainian(ish), the fiscal conservative. Basing their picture of too hot on our arguments they find it funny that I would go out of my way to argue with anonymous strangers.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    No. When I tell them, I get the distinct impression that they don’t care and have no idea what I am talking about.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I recall a poster, I am pretty sure a woman, whose mantra said something to the effect "spending the day trying to look like a 'normal person' is exhausting" which I thought was quite profound. I think we have a public face that we have learned to hide behind, or at least make us look like we belong, and then we have our true selves. Some masks are more stark than others but it is real.

What posting on a forum such as Gator Country allows us to do is to let our true selves explore the world unvarnished. It is powerful, cathartic, and liberating. The problem is we aren't that enamored with walking around everywhere naked in public. If we all did it we would be normal in a collective but up until that point we would stand out and to do that takes real courage, a piece missing in our psyche (a governor) or mental illness. I am not sure we want to be thought of as mentally ill, even though it liberates us emotionally.

So, while what I post is amazing, insightful, and a gift given to you readers from God - you are most sincerely welcome - I think my Clark Kent needs to stay firmly in the forefront. Otherwise my brilliance may be mistaken for arrogance. I would not want the peons in my neck of the woods to feel insignificant. But do not worry, Superman is just a phone booth away.

Um, does anyone know where to find a phone booth? This smartphone thing has me baffled.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Mine was on the corner of W. University & 13th Street, but they tore it down for the luxury apartments. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. mh2os

mh2os VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    Yes, my close friends, none of whom post on Gatorcountry, know I post here because I share some of the funny stuff with them. Some of them post on other sites related to either other schools or special interests so they don't think I'm too weird! LOL!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Just my wife

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Oh, you poor soul.

Unless....hot damn!

[​IMG]

13. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    This insightful post does not disappoint. In fact, rarely - if ever - is anything you post not worth the time to read and contemplate. Your observations on the safety of a public persona resonate with me, but I have found there is liberating authentication in having a more public face. I don't think it essentially changes what I might post, but often times it does require more thought to find language that adequately, but honestly, communicates what I want to say without offending those who might be easily offended. I tend to not hold back. If I think something needs to be said I will say it as the self endowed prerogative of advancing age as I tumble towards the finish line.

I envision you popping out of a red London style phone booth.

[​IMG]

I found this one on Google. I know what you mean about smart phones. Finally broke down and traded my flip phone for a smart phone 2 years ago, after years protesting I was not smart enough for a smart phone. I'm learning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep. Most of my good friends are on the site as well. Nothing to hide except maybe my love for Busch Light:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If I may philosophize some more (sorry, but you started it!) I do not disagree with what you have said. If this were my small group with my church brethren, I would say what I am doing is to loosen up my mind so that I am not so restricted, both intellectually or emotionally. I think of times when I looked out my window or I am in my front yard and I see a dog, or maybe two, who are running down the road as fast and elated as they can. Why? I presume it is because they have been bottled up inside either the house or a fenced yard and so they haven't been given the chance to tackle the world their time, their place and their way.

And so when the opportunity comes along it is liberating and emotionally uplifting. Now when we see a dog running down the road - we are talking about pleasant looking ones and not a pack of rottweilers or dobermans - we see joy and not shenanigans. When we see unfettered adults we see...mental illness? Malevolent intent? Weird? I like the Seinfeld episode where he found a girl friend who likes to run around naked inside and he thought it was his nirvana. That was until he was told he should not because the body God gave him was "utilitarian" and not for public display, And then she had to open a jar with effort and suddenly his vision of beauty became...just as utilitarian. And so his fantasy was gone for good. You can't unlearn a lesson. I think a little more frisky (thank you anonymous internet!) and I envision women exercising like yoga. Those male fantasy stretches and poses drive "ideas" of feminine perfection. The only thing that separates me from THE vision of God's beauty is social convention and damn angry women. But then when you see "those videos" - I am not talking about pronography (although pron is in the eye of the beholder's fantasy) but rather videos of usually a woman doing rudimentary things while being naked. Nude house cleaning! Now bend down and pick up the shoes, baby!

Um, she did and I just saw a full fledged view of her "opinion". I did not realize how unappetizing a true opinion could be. So, God gave me beauty to behold and when I behold it, I find it unpleasant? Is that because she is incompetent? Damaged goods? Un-"Godly"? Or....could it be that I am a self centered jerk?

Naw, I am Superman. I have done the math. I am THAT good!

Anyways, I see posting as a combination of a way to exercise my mind when it has limited opportunities to "go where my mind wants to go" and a way of reaching out to the public in a non-threatening manner. Is it safe? Sure...if you are careful. Does it allow jerkiness and arrogance to manifest? Sure but to me if you take the governor off your mind, what comes out is YOU and not a made-up persona, although I kind of understand the fantasy world of a costume party where the nun gets to be a dominatrix for a night. I am just thankful I am who I am and free to save the world from evil. Just remember, arrogance and jerkiness is NOT a personality flaw as long as you "mean well". You are most sincerely welcome and by the way, please refrain from touching the cape. It gets wrinkled when you do that and I prefer to look sharp. I know you are kind of stupid but I figure if I tell you what is going on, you can break away from your stupidity for just a brief moment and allow God's gift to the world to do his job. It IS in your best interests.

The problem isn't that when the dogs are loose it is joy but rather after the joy comes...reality. There are dangers to negotiate and a free mind may not be aware of them. Or if what we need is a "designated driver" to keep us out of trouble, is our "freedom" also going to royally piss off the driver and they walk away from us?

And the place we run to, dogly speaking, may not have the food, water and shelter we are used to. And so...now what? I guess the family can come and get us....we belong!!!....but then are we not having our cake and eating it too? Isn't this all a sign of immaturity? Yep. I that is who I am...right now.

It sounds like you have tasted the freedom of the world outside your fence and it isn't all that you imagined. My take is you are more mature than I, either in age or life experiences. You know what they say, youth is wasted on the young. I am not young but mentally I do like to play. By the way, I started posting this about an hour ago and after I have finished I will go back and clean it up after I re-read it a couple of times. Usually it is so that what I want to say is what comes out on paper. Talking rapidly is WAY easier than typing - it is all about the baud rate between the mind and the printer. The mouth is wired to process the data WAY faster than the hand, unless you program it to slow down to that speed. And so if I have made two or three additional thoughts while I type the last one I tend to lose important words or phrases and the spelling can be unfortunate. Gotta look professional. This will probably take another 15 minutes...the first time. I go back and re-read hours and days later, mostly to make sure I was sort of eloquent and perhaps I also learn what is profound and what is merely mental masterbation.

So, I thank you for your contribution to this forum and my considering a less "awe inspiring" and more real approach to social interacting. I am using this as a vehicle as I am using church and other social activities as a tester and to get my governor tweaked so that it won't be so limiting. It would also help if who I come into contact would be more aware of what makes them tick. One of the biggest problems I see is it is so easy to be offended these days. My mantra I sincerely believe is that if you dish it out you HAVE to be able to take it and so I say bring it on! It is just that it works SO much better in the mind than in person. My mind works REALLY fast and finding someone who keeps up is rare or the ones who don't mind to lovingly tell me that I am crossing into Jerkland are also gems and you know how rare those are.

Anyways. you are correct in that what good is social interaction in anonymity if that is the only place you can truly be yourself? I guess I will take your advice....when I get emotionally older. I can only say I am aware and I am trying.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Well sir the only thing left is to defend this post to the dissertation committee

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Re: our public persona. I always thought Billy Joel's "The Stranger" was about this. The mask we wear during the day and what we take off at night at home.

And to answer the question- I told my millennial son about GC and he thought talking about sports to strangers on the internet was the dumbest thing of all time. And I do tell my wife- who nodded patiently as she often does with me.

I've never met a fellow GC poster in real life, but I'd love to.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    One of my closest real life friends posts on here and I have met other friends through here that I have hung out with, gone to games with.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    I have met some amazing people through Gator Country and I definitely like using it as a tool to build real-life community. I totally understand why some people would want to stay kind of anonymous but for me, I'm totally happy with people knowing my real name and getting to interact elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife thinks that I spend way too time on GC.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1