Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Do You Use Chrome and Get Annoyed By Websites That Autoplay Audio?

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by fastsix, Mar 7, 2018.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Well now for the low, low price of free you can put an end to those inconsiderate noise makers!

It's a fairly new feature in Chrome where you can "mute" a site, or every site, so that they no longer start blaring some stupid video or ad when you're trying to surf the web in peace (or at work). To change it site by site, just do this.

1. Right click the "Speaker" icon on the tab
    (If there's no audio playing on the site, there will be no Speaker icon)​
    2. Select "Mute Site"
    3. Now that site will never auto play audio unless you "Unmute" the site similar to how you muted it.

[​IMG]

But if you're like me, and don't want any sites playing audio without your permission. You can mute all the sites, and then unmute only the ones where it makes sense - YouTube, Netflix, Gator Country etc.

1. Go to Settings in Chrome via the menu
    2. Click "Advanced" down near the bottom
    3. Click "Content Settings"
    4. Click "Sound"

Or just copy this link, and paste in address bar to go there directly
    (hotlinking doesn't work to non http addresses)​

chrome://settings/content/sound​

5. Click "Mute sites that play sound"
    6. Close that tab.

[​IMG]

Now you'll have to "Unmute" any site that you want to play sounds, because they'll all be muted by default. No more following a link only to have some unwanted audio start playing while you try to find where the hell it's coming from and turn it off while everyone in the meeting you're ignoring stares at you.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I hate those autoplay videos nearly as much as I hate FSU!

Thanks!

And reading further in your post, YES, especially when they hide some 1 inch by 1 inch video off to the side and you need to hunt the little bugger down... pause it... and then you scroll and it starts again!!! ERRRRR!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Usually happens to me when I'm not really paying attention to some TV show my wife is watching, just kind of surfing the web instead, then all of a sudden my computer starts blaring some video I didn't ask for. It actually bothers me way more than it bothers her. It's just a rude thing for a website to do.

And I'm no fan of the pop-ups that are on every page now. We get rid of the old fashioned type, and now we have this new breed on every single page. I just want to read an article, not play Mouse-Fu with videos and pop-ups.

I need to give one of the extensions a try and see if they work. Something like this.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pop-up-blocker-for-chrome/bkkbcggnhapdmkeljlodobbkopceiche

Edit: apparently the new ones are called "overlays". That extension looks promising.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I use the Ad-Block extension and don't have this problem. Sometimes I have to pause it because some pages won't run properly with it, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

5. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I use UBlock Origin - don't remember why I chose it, had something to do with it using less resources. It blocks ads, even video ads, but it won't block something like a Bloomberg video from auto playing on Bloomberg's own site.

6. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Not impressed with this so far. I'm not sure it's worth giving yet another company access to my info.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I've been using AdBlock for years now. I don't think it requires too much info. When you sign in for the first time it gives you an option to donate to the developers, but doesn't punish you if you don't. I wouldn't run chrome w/o it.

Link: Chrome Web Store

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    I would like to find a way to prevent videos from autoplaying and then moving to the right side of the window as you scroll past it. I don't want to have to intervene. If I scroll past it, I do not want to see it.

9. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    To some extent you can do that with ad blockers. Right click, Block Element, select the video, and block it. Sometimes this will work for the whole site, but often it just works for the single page. Maybe other ad blockers handle it differently than the one I use.

10. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

I lose more laptops and tablets that way! (After that freakin- sound starts AGAIN , and the laptop mysteriously hits the wall across the room! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Why not just keep the volume at zero on your computer, and turn it up using the volume icon when you need it?

That's what I do, and it irritates me when I forget to turn it back to zero and I get blasted with some noise.

12. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Unless you are listening to music on your computer at the same time.

13. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Pretty much this. Plus I often go to sites that I expect to make noise (YouTube, Twitter, Vimeo, etc.) and I don't want to have to fiddle with the volume knob every time I go to one of these sites. So I just mute every site, unmute the ones I expect to make noise and everything works as I want it to, no knob fiddling necessary.