Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. ATTENTION VIP MEMBERS: Your favorite full color wall calendar with Gator sports schedules is on the way to you in the mail! Expect it in a week or two at most. Questions? Ask here.

Do you guys consider Janoris Jenkins a Gator for life?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gator715, May 12, 2018.

1. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    At the time JJ said if Urban was still the head coach at UF he wouldn't have been kicked off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    Is Jay Bergman a GFL? Is Vernon Maxwell a GFL? How about Chris Leak? Don DeVoe? AAron...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Vernon Maxwell, yes. He was a Florida student when he declared for the NBA draft. Yes, UF erased his statistics from the records after he was found taking payments in college, because that is what the University should do to appease the NCAA.

Chris Leak, yes. He graduated from Florida and was a Florida student when he declared for to go professional. Yes, he screwed up, but we have to own that as a fanbase.

Aaron Hernandez, yes. His crimes do not erase the fact that he was an All-American at one point (even if the commemorative brick has been removed), and he was a Florida student at the time he declared. Yes, he screwed up a lot, but we have to own that as a fanbase.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Agree, if he does, good enough for me. There are plenty of folks on this site that aren't on uf grads and consider themselves gators.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It happened, or at least something along those lines. Doubt there is,a written story though

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    Until PROVEN otherwise!

7. rump74

rump74 Premium Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Myers, FL
    It's a great question. Brings up a lot of questions about culture, character, fandom , fidelity.....
    This is the badass CB that would post "I just shot 1 million future kids" into some sluts mouth?

8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I'd like Hernandez to be wiped from UF memory... that's a serious taint on UF...

To me, it comes down to if a player's offenses were forgivable as it pertains to players like Leak, Maxwell, and Hernandez... It just so happens I don't know the whole story of Leak or Maxwell... only that they were outstanding players... :D I know Leak had some sexual offense recently and believe Maxwell had a drug and attitude problem... If these were the only real problems, here, then I'd say Leak's offense is far worse than Jenkins and Maxwell... but not even remotely close to Hernandez, but that doesn't say much... I don't know the whole story behind Leak... and I wouldn't want to excommunicate him until I know all of the details... but he's certainly fallen drastically from the pedastal he once lied for me based on my perception of his case.

I guess ignorance is bliss....:confused:

9. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I think of it as the difference between a kid who was stupid (who wasn't?) and someone who tried to cheat to get what he wanted. Stupid? you own your kid brother no matter what. Cheater? it depends on what the offense was. Pot is stupid, PEDs and lying about it or completely ignoring the structure of college athletics is not. Maxwell seems to be our version of what is now the O-A-D player: a mercenary and not a student.

I get that major college sports are filled with mercenaries but there has been a structure set up to at least give them a chance to grow as a human being. Hernandez sounds like he may have been a person who crossed a line while at UF and should have been kicked off the team. But I am not worried about what a grown adult does to tarnish their reputation they built when they were young.

In that light, would anyone want to kick Monty Grow off the list because he got caught doing something not smart many years later? I seriously doubt it.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah but leak graduated from UF and was a model student athlete while there. His issues were much later.

11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    To be a "Gator for Life" I think you actually need a degree. No? Otherwise what does it really mean.

I guess lots of guys go to the NFL and probably never complete their degrees, yet most could consider these guys "Gators". But Janoris was kicked out, so I think that's different, even if the difference is subtle. The bottom line is he did not enter the NFL draft as a Gator. I suppose if he concerned himself with being a "Gator for Life" he could finish up his degree or otherwise re-associate himself with UF, but I doubt he cares (not sure I would either).

• Like Like x 1
  12. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Yes

13. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    No

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. It does not work that way. Some of us went to school with these guys, so we have to own up to the fact that some of them were Gators who screwed up. Some of them have diplomas that forever tie them to the university. Some of them were invited to the NFL combine, the NFL draft, and NFL camps as UF students. They are Gators. Good, bad, or indifferent. We do not get to cherry pick which ones to strip of their Gator identity. We can strip away statistics, All-American memorials, et cetera, but never the actual history.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    I think the real question should be is Gator 4 Life Janorious Jenkins?

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Legend

Oct 16, 2017
    What issues? He wasn't even CHARGED, let alone convicted. As far as I am concerned, Chris Leak's clean and a GREAT Gator who carried himself with class, poise and dignity under enormous pressure...

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    That is interesting... I am thinking he won’t be invited back to visit the locker room soon.

• Like Like x 1
  18. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Legend

Oct 16, 2017
    Which is a shame...

19. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Here's an issue!!

Ex-Gators quarterback Chris Leak loses teaching license after allegedly asking student to touch his genitals

Ex-Gators quarterback Chris Leak loses teaching license after allegedly asking student to touch his genitals

One doesn't have to have a conviction to have issues. Leak offered a girl $100 to touch his schlong.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007