Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Do you care about the Braves?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by CalGator, Jul 9, 2018.

1. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
  2. NUM1GATRFN

NUM1GATRFN GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Acworth, Georgia
    Ooops - you are correct there. He did get to pitch for Detroit in spring training this year (did pretty good, too), but yes - he is still in single A. Still - that's already further than any kid right out of HS could hope to get.

3. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I agree, he’s likely more advanced than a hs kid. He’ll likely be ready for the bigs sooner, and would also argue there is a higher chance that he makes it there at all. Just pointing out, it’s pretty rare that they go straight outta college. Most need at least a couple years (sometimes hs kids advance quickly too). Even our really good class from 16 is all still in the minors right now. Think Puk is in double or triple, shore is in single, anderson is double, IIRC Dunning was doing the best, but think he’s still single or double a.

Moving away from pitchers, but Alonso and Reed have both moved up to single, and looks like Reed is really close to getting called up. He’s really swinging it well.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  4. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Just checked on Puk, he had made it up to single a, but messed up his arm and is having/has had Tj surgery.

5. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Who?

6. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Brew crew, where it’s @

7. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    No doubt. They didn't do that crap back in the '70's and '80's. I think it started when they put the Tomahawk back on their Jersey in 1990 or so. Ripped off 1/2a$$U.

8. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    Used to be an Orioles fan. Brooks Robinson was my favorite player and I played 3rd base. Went to a game in Baltimore in '67 where Frank Robinson faked getting hit by a pitch. The other manager complained and the umpire called him back to the plate where he promptly hit the next pitch out of the park.

9. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    My Dad used to take me and my two brothers fairly often when the Braves were terrible but they had Hammerin' Hank back in the early 70's, we used to sit in the left field bleachers not too far from Nokahoma's tee-pee. We chased a few of Hank's homers that were rattling around mostly empty bleachers in the Launching pad, but never came up with one of the balls, unfortunately.

10. flgator79

flgator79 Premium Member

Jul 28, 2007
    NO

11. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    You are close but it was 1991.
    Here's what happened- the Braves were one of the worst teams in MLB from 85-90.
    1990 was especially bad as they finished with 65 wins- THE WORST TEAM in the major leagues. (2nd worst team- NYY.)

During 1991 Deion Sanders began playing for the Braves- he also played for the Falcons.
    Some fans starting doing the chop in his honor early on, and the Braves started winning.
    That year-1991- everything changed. The Braves finished 1st and went to their 1st WS ever in Atlanta. (Losing to MN in 7.)
    They would go on to win a bunch of division titles in a row- quite a contrast to the previous 6 years.

The chop became a thing that got associated with winning ball and just grew from there.

I like the Braves but I don't watch the games anymore. I'm surprised they still do the chop, actually.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    To answer the OP as nicely as possible. H*** the **** NO!

Go Marlins!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 GC Hall of Fame

People disagree with you but nobody goes.

14. TrueGator

TrueGator Recruit

Nov 11, 2014
    I was a Braves fan as a kid when we had no MLB teams in Florida. Now I support the local team (Rays). But, regardless, MLB has nothing to do with this site, so Spivey should quit tagging incessantly about the Braves here. We don't care here. Start a Braves site. It's called GatorCountry, not BravesCountry. Annoying.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. Gtrfn4evr

Gtrfn4evr GC Legend

Apr 15, 2007
    Ugh...no. dbacks and Reds.

16. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    It's all star weekend and there's STILL braves posts on the feed. I sometimes wonder who AS works for. We sure haven't been getting many GATORS stories lately.

17. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    When I was a kid in Georgia we only got Braves games on TV (WMAZ in Macon). The team was still in Milwaukee then. I became a fan of the team and Hank Aaron. This lasted through the move to Atlanta and many high hopes for a World Series win which we finally got in 1995. At some point (I forget the year) the front office decided to sell off most of the players I liked and I got mad and quit following them. I think the season is too long and the games too slow so nowadays I just watch the occasional Rays game and the World Series.

18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007