Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Do you care about the Braves?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by CalGator, Jul 9, 2018.

1. gocartmozart

gocartmozart Junior

Apr 10, 2016
    2 of these should be in the Hall of Fame

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gocartmozart

gocartmozart Junior

Apr 10, 2016
    I grew up a Braves fan long before either Florida team existed. It's hard to listen to the war chant I admit, but even tougher to change loyalties. I gave up on MLB after the strike but the Sosa, McGwire, Bonds home run chase brought me back. Steroids or not, it saved MLB.

I gave up on the Braves when they got rid of every player i liked (except Freddie Freeman) but at the moment they're in 1st place so maybe they knew what they were doing.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  3. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have never been a Braves fan, but used to love some of the nicknames, Rico Carty, the Beeg Boy, Taco Perez, Hank The Hammer Aaron, Pat The Little Bulldog Jarvis, Nucksie Niekro, Biff Pocorobo, Ralph Roadrunner Garr, Felix The Kitten Millan, Mack The Knife Jones, & Bedrock Bedrosian are some of the ones I remember.

4. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Looks like a 900 million dollar green house.

I pity any taxpayer who has their money go that monstrosity.

5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I do. Have you ever seen her parents? It's not exactly a stretch.

Plus, why dig on Serena? If you're any kind of tennis fan then you know that once she's gone, it's over for American tennis. It's already been over for the men's side, but she's the last of her kind (winner of multiple majors) in the pipeline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Can't say I'm a fan of the stadium design, but there is time to work on that. #1 Issue: Astroturf. I simply cannot wrap my brain around building a 800M stadium and outfitting it with astroturf (which is one of the things I hate about the trop). #2: May look all avant guard now, but avant guard has a way of becoming dated rather quickly. Plus, maintaining that glass in Florida, with the salt in the air, etc. is going to be a major pain in the ass.

Just build something like what Houston has and be done with it. And please, please, PLEASE, do not in any way take cues from Miami.

7. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

I see you are a Reds fan. Lived in Cincy for a minute in high school. My dad is from there. He went to games at Crosley as a kid. I went to games at Riverfront. So I was a Reds fan prior to Tampa getting a team. Dad remains Reds 100%, though the Rays are his #2.

The same architect that build the GAP is the one designing the Rays park.

I had hoped for a more traditional park like GAP, but understand that the weather and all are factors.

What I like is the small intimate nature of the Ybor park. I like that it will have so many community things attached.

But man the costs are soaring. The roof on this one will cost almost as much as the entire GAP in Cincy.

This stuff does not cost the individual tax payer much though. Very little in fact.

We all pay taxes for things much less noteworthy. Opera houses, parks etc. Major league sports are a big amount of cred to a region.

Also, the Rays have been the thriftiest team, but also best run system in the game.
    Seriously. Can any non-rays fan name 3 players on this current team? Yet since the 3rd week of the season, they are 13 games over .500 and would be fighting for a division title if they were in the Central. They just went 8-1 vs the Astros, Yanks and Nats...and have beaten NYY 4 straight times. Since week 3 of the season they have the best ERA in the bigs.

Imagine this system if they could pay to keep these well developed guys.

8. tilly

I do hope it ends up being more traditional. It would fit Ybor better, and get dated less quickly.
    There are ways to be cutting edge, but still fit in the neighborhood.

I do like the Rays wings designed into the roof. That is a cool touch.

9. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Grew up in MN so I am a Twins fan. Believe me, it ain't easy. I started to like the Braves after the 1991 world series ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Was on the left field upper deck seats when he was going for the HR record. Every step to the plate brought a standing ovation! I am a lifelong Pirate fan but for that moment (3 games in a row at Atlanta Stadium) I was all Braves.

11. NUM1GATRFN

NUM1GATRFN GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Acworth, Georgia
    I too am in the same boat as you - what the final straw for me was this past draft - the Braves passed up on Brady Singer who was available during their 8th pick in the 1st round - they passed on Brady who was a ready to go starter for a lineup they need. Instead, who did the Braves pick? A high School senior pitcher from Melbourne who obviously will have to spend a couple of years in the minors! I was so upset - I wanted the chance to see Brady pitching on the mound up here in Atlanta.

Gone were the days when I first moved here in 97 out of the Navy - the Braves had the best team to watch every year - you had THREE Cy Young award winning pitchers in the starting rotation (Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz), and then great players like Chipper Jones (life long Gator fan), Javy Lopez, etc. You could go to the ballpark to see a game w/ a 3 out of 4 chance of seeing a Cy Young pitcher take the mound that day. I can't recall any other teams having that many good pitchers like that in their starting rotation.

To this day, every Braves game I've attended and will go to - I refuse to do the 'Chop'. That's the only thing I stand firm on

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Brady will still be in the minors for a couple years. Hardly anyone goes straight to the bigs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NUM1GATRFN

NUM1GATRFN GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Acworth, Georgia
    Faedo did - has already pitched some games this season for Detroit. Brady is just as good as Faedo

My point was - Brady Singer was one of the top 2 pitchers available in the draft this year - and he is much more ready and experienced w/ big game pitching than a HS Senior who is very raw, has no game experience and will basically be a project for several years the way Atlanta uses their farm system.

14. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Agreed. But turf? Really? Ugh.

15. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I don’t see where Alex pitched for detroit. He did move up to single a, but shows to still be there. He was invited to spring training with the big boys, but he’s not on the big boy roster yet.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  16. tilly

I agree. Some of the field turf looks good. I have heard that the lighting at the Trop is part of why it looks so bad.

17. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Totally agree, amen! Had 3 daughters that played (God didn't grant me any sons) and after years of watching them play we caught a baseball game by chance and I was floored by how boring it was! I said to my wife: "my gosh watch the shortstop, he has all day to plant his feet and throw out the runner!"

• Like Like x 1
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm not a tennis fan. Serena is just kind of hard not to notice. If she got that build from her parents, what happened to Venus?

19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Turf just sucks, especially for baseball. They can experiment all they want, but turf is turf and I hate it for baseball.

20. tilly

My guess is they can't grow grass under a permanent roof. Even a glass one. Retractable is likely not an option in that limited space.