Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Do you care about the Braves?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by CalGator, Jul 9, 2018.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Rooted for the Marlins until the second time a World Series team was broken up (albeit slowly). They had a great lineup and needed pitchers last year. Now, they need pitchers and a great lineup. The franchise that has traded Miguel Cabrera and Giancarlo Stanton. Bad economic model in the sport. I wish the Marlins would leave South Florida so the soccer team could have a place to play.

2. GoGators1022

GoGators1022 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes, I care about the Braves. No, I do not care for those that do not like the Braves.

3. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    Despise the Braves. We rooted against the state of Georgia in all sports. I was a big Royals fan growing up due to the fact we'd catch their spring training games in Baseball City. The Marlins came around the same time George Brett retired so it was an easy transition for a 13 year old kid to finally have a team in state to root for. I couldn't care less about the Rays.

4. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Yes: WTBS, Skip Carey, Rafael Rameriez, Bob Horner, Rick Mahler, Murph, etc....

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  5. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Braves fan as a kid. Marlins fan as an adult, attended both Marlins world series titles. Mgt has killed it for me tho, don't watch mlb anymore, just college baseball.

Never understood how a Gator could cheer for a team with the same chant as fsu.:emoji_angry:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorSko

GatorSko All American

Sep 22, 2014
    sanford,fl
    Jesus.......
    There’s absolutely nothing to talk about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    I went to a few of their games as a kid. More of a cards fan now.
    The damn warchant drove me away.

8. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    The strike really soured me on MLB also. Since then, I watched Cal Ripken Jr. Break the iron man record and maybe two total games.

I don't find it very enjoyable anymore and when my daughter started playing softball as a girl, I realized it is a better game and more exciting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CadGator

CadGator GC Legend

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    You Bet, Go Yankees!

10. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    When Hank was playing my sister lived in Macon and dad took us to three game one a double header

But they played and lost to the reds all four times so I became a Big Red machine fan

Twin fan before that with Harmon Killibrew.

Watch more pro baseball than either pro basketball or pro football which is zero

Braves are not something I keep up with.

11. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Cared about whom?

12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    As a kid I was a Redlegs fan because Palatka's Class D baseball team for a time was the Palatka Redlegs. Johnny Vandermeer (two no-hitters in a row as a Major League pitcher) was the manager. We thought that slugger Red Helms was a sure bet for the majors, but it turned out that his little brother Tommy at shortshop made the big leagues.

Future major leaguer Felipe Alou played for Cocoa Beach. He hit about .400 and I saw him hit the longest home run I've ever seen to dead center field.

Ah, those were the days.

• Like Like x 1
  13. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    No, grew up in NY and was a Yankees fan. When moved to South Florida, I started to follow and went to a few Marlin games. Started to become a fan and then they kept selling or trading all their players to other teams for prospects that never panned out. Have not been to the new Marlin stadium and do not follow baseball at all any longer. I remember the Braves being promoted as America’s team when Ted Turner owned TBS. other than regional broadcasts and game of the week broadcast nationally, TBS used to be only baseball America could watch. Never cared for Braves, but watched TBS when they had their great teams and pitching staff back in the day

14. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I'm a huge Cardinals fan. But I've never had any problem with the Braves. My best friend is a Braves fan, and I already promised him that if my Cards don't make the playoffs (again...ugh!) this year I'll cheer Atlanta on.

15. themistocles

themistocles Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    For some reason, I never liked either the Braves or the Cleveland Indians. Perhaps it's a natural aversion to the misuse of people's names for exploitative purposes. Yeah, I know that the Miccosukee, for a tidy sum I'm sure, OK'd FSU's use of the Nation's Name, but they are only 1 of the 3 different Seminole tribal groups, and I'll guarantee you that Osceola would never have OK'd this.

16. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Dosen't this belong in the baseball forum?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  17. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Oct 28th 1995, was a great day! Made my first and only trip to Athens and watched THBC hang half a hundred on the pups between the vaunted shrubs. Then later that night in ATL the Braves won the World Series. Growing up in north FLA with TBS and no teams in the state, it was easy to be a Braves fan.

Don’t follow any pro sports now. They’ve all turned to manure, imho.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Nope. Rays fan here. As a kid, I always wanted our own team. Tampa finally got one, and even though I moved away, they are my team.

Excited about the Ybor prospect. The unveiling yesterday was pretty cool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Winner winner chicken dinner!

MY favourite years of baseball were the early Superstation years when TBS aired Braves games every night, except Wed. when it was the ESPN GOTW....and even some of those were Braves games. :)

Then this happened:
    The 1994–95 Major League Baseball strike was the eighth work stoppage in baseball history, as well as the fourth in-season work stoppage in 22 years.[1] The strike began on Friday, August 12, 1994, and resulted in the remainder of that season being cancelled, including the postseason and, for the first time since 1904, the World Series. The strike was suspended on April 2, 1995, after 232 days, making it the longest such stoppage in MLB history, breaking the record set by the 1981 strike.[1] 948 games were cancelled in all, and MLB became the first major professional sports league to lose an entire postseason due to labor struggles.

After that I said "Go jump in the lake....I'm done!"

20. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1