Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Do Supporters of UF Have Enough Money for UF to Compete in the Transfer Portal?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by tarponbro, Jan 15, 2024.

1. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I just read where FSU just got its 5th player from Alabama in the transfer portal Shane Matthews says that the collective for Ole Miss has more money than the UF collective. WTF? There should be no way UF gets beat on financial contributions by FSU and Ole Miss, not to mention Alabama, Georgia and others. Kentucky is even getting higher rated transfers than UF!! This is absolutely ridiculous. Before some smart azzes start telling me to conribute $$$, I get just over $1600 from Social Security and that's what I live on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We can use 500 mil on our stadium so I’d say we have cash if we decide to spend it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Seems like you just answered your own question. Other fanbases are stepping up to the plate. Ours is pointing fingers. If you want more money to be spent, spend more money. If you don’t have money, fundraise. If you don’t want to do either, don’t complain about your returns.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  4. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I guess we haven't decided to spend it on players then, huh?

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Said it in other ways before ....If you are not in the Florida Collective as a contributing member then....

You don't know what is actually going on, so threads like this are just pointless.

Telling other people how they should spend their money is rude. If you don't have skin in the game it is not your business how it is spent.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    How they spend their money directly reflects on what they want UF to be in athletics. If they don't want to spend enough to get the best players possible then I don't think they really want UF to win championships, especially in football and basketball. They must be content with mediocrity or worse in football and basketball.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Once again, you don't know what is going on, you are just guessing and it isn't your money, you have no business telling others how to spend their money.

• Dislike Dislike x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I take the coach at his word. He said no bidding wars. However we know business is business so things change.

I do think we are being careful in order to preserve team harmony. And probably the majority of transfers don't make our list and of those who do we are very selective.

Long term stability and consistency are the stated goals.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I just contributed $20 to Florida Victorius so I guess now it is my business. C'mon Everyone, if I can contribute you can too!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. okcgator

okcgator GC Legend

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    Seems like our fanbase would rather have the school and boosters pay for buyouts rather than NIL.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    We're beating out powerhouses like Cincinnati for our players while other teams are getting them from teams like Alabama and Georgia. The team harmony concept doesn't cut it when your team loses more games than they win. What do you want, a close knit team that won't come close to sniffing an SEC Championship? It honestly looks to me that UF is selecting players more on the amount they cost rather than their talent level. I don't think that's a way to build a great team, at least not in today's college football environment.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    If you want to buy players in hopes of winning more go for it. Championships are fun but not defining for me. I'm fine with however my alma mater wants to play it as long as players do their best on and off the field.

Right now it's a feces show and I'd rather not have it on our faces.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Not over the top

• Like Like x 1
  14. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    I think we’re about 1600 short.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  15. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    If you’re living on a fixed income of $1600/mo, that seems like a really bad investment on your part. :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing: Seriously though, we seem to have a large, or at least very vocal, portion of our fanbase that donates $20 and then screams at the top of their lungs about every player we don’t land.

People can spend their money however they want, man. If they want their name on a door to the janitors closet in the volleyball facility, fine by me. If they want to contribute to firing every coach we hire and have enough swing to make those moves, have at it. If they want to buy players, I love it.

If people don’t like the way the money is being spent, then find another way to manage it. If you don’t like the administration’s priorities on how they raise money and what they raise it for, they can be ousted too. It will take more effort, time, and money than most are willing to invest, but changes can be made.

Sitting around complaining on forums isn’t really going to change anything in a positive way. It will just further add to the negative aura around our program.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The problem now is the same problem we have faced in various forms for decades. The states of Mississippi and Alabama (among others) have nothing else, nor do their universities. Football is what generates the inky source of pride for those states, everyone top to bottom is invested in their success. UF recently completed a fund raising drive where we raised nearly five billion dollars, but that was for academics. Louisiana recently had a capital drive for its universities and they assumed going in that nearly half the money raised would be donated to athletics, even while their library didn’t have a floor.
    The relative values we compete against are crazy. If UF alums chose to be in a NIL bidding war we could outbid anyone outside of UT and TAMU. But it’s largely money that’s wasted just to win a few games. We aren’t that. Nor will we ever be,

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. layziegator

layziegator Junior

Nov 26, 2021
    Yea but If 50,000 fans donated $20 a month , could we voice our opinions then ?

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    You can do whatever you want, but your $20 investment doesn’t really entitle you to anything. You’re not the one generating the other 49,999 $20 donations. The ones that are, are investing your $20 how they see fit. $20 barely buys a fast food meal nowadays. You aren’t buying any decision making responsibilities with that kind of investment. If you want to actually be a part of the process, then step up and do it. If you want to give 20 bucks, then treat it like rounding up at the grocery store. I doubt any one here is on the march of dimes forum screaming about exactly how their pennies were spent. You donated the money and put it in someone else’s hands to manage. If you don’t like the way your money is being managed, don’t give them your money. Start your own management program.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I actually have a little bit of money set aside each month to do things I enjoy so this month I decided to use $20 to support UF football. I'm retired with no wife or kids so I'm not worried too much about my investments. If I live another 20 years I'll consider myself very lucky so I'm not worried about any long term investments. As the saying goes, you can't take it with you. I consider myself more realistic than negative toward UF sports and I love to watch and read about UF football. However, the way UF's football program is being run right now (including NIL, which is a large part of player/talent acquisition) is taking a lot of my enjoyment away from it. Maybe if enough people complain things will start to change, or at least that's my somewhat optimistic outlook on things. Another thing to consider is that a lot of the high school players that colleges recruit will leave the college they sign with out of high school in less than three years. If teams want to compete for championships they need to have both top 10 recruiting and transfer portal classes. If a team recruits in the top 3 or 4 of high school recruit rankings every year they won't need the transfer portal as much but everyone else does, and that includes UF. Let's face it, UF is falling further behind the top 4 or 5 teams on the country and they're not doing everything they can to stay competitive and that frustrates me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    How large is UF's fanbase? Do you think it's more than 100,0000 fans? 500,00 maybe? 1,000,000 or more?