Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Do academics help in recruiting?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by here-we-go-gators, Dec 6, 2019.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    How do we know this? Or perhaps you are referring to a credit-per-course offer, which would be fairly universal. That's different than the cap of credits accepted, which impacts the number of courses a student needs to graduate.

I see a link to exam scores for acceptance at FSU. There appears to be no indicator that the collection of AP courses is identical with that considered at UF. From my experience, acceptance of AP/PSEO/etc. is typically up to the university and maybe the unit/department.

The state of FL might somehow establish guidelines for the number of AP credits that could potentially count, but I think those decisions would usually be determined by Regents and UF/FSU operate under separate boards.

It's possible that both UF & FSU potentially would accept the same optimal number of credits for Rolle, but each university made different decisions.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. here-we-go-gators

here-we-go-gators Sophomore

Dec 6, 2019
    UF got a national merit scholar finalist FOUR star OL today in Braun. He wants to get his masters. He really liked the UGA OL coach that departed but Arkansas is far from is home plus they have lower academics. UGA is not far from UF in academics.

3. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Yes but do you think he picked UF because of academics? I'm sure academics helped but he was headed to UGA until his position coach left.

4. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    If it was all about that Coach Pittman he would have gone to Arkansas. UGA has very good academics also but not Arkansas. UF had the best combo when Pittman left. He developed relationship with Hevesy, UF's location and UF's academics. He was willing to travel a little further to UGA for Pittman but Arkansas is too far plus they have lower academics.

Nowadays there is so much competition for smart top athletes they can get the best in multiple areas. UF was the best combo.

Love that UF is getting a very smart OL. UGA was saying that Braun was going to be their poster child for smart athletes. Not anymore.

5. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    We agree. I commented because your post, on this thread specifically regarding importance of academics, appeared to suggest that he made the switch due to academics.

For these kids it's almost always a combination of several factors. Braun obviously liked UF well enough that he was still in contact with our coaches before Pittman left. Pittman obviously wasn't the only reason he was committed to UGA. And UGA is definitely a good school in terms of academics.

I can only speculate, but I think he wanted an elite level school fairly close to home. Arkansas is neither of those, even with Pittman. I think that's why Arkansas likely wasn't an option for him.

I suspect maybe it came down to deciding between UF and UGA and early playing time at a program on the rise was a bigger factor than anything.

6. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    If the offensive lineman position skills are as difficult to master as people say, I guess it's great we got a smart one in Joshua Braun. National Merit Scholar seminfinalist. Brains and Braun. Glad he's here, both on the field and in the classroom.

7. spincycle81

spincycle81 GC Legend

Oct 10, 2015
    I want to play for Florida because it is a great academic school, and it will enable me to accomplish the goals I have set for myself," Braun said. "I will be pushed academically while bettering my self as an athlete on the field. After re-examining my choices, the University of Florida is where I am supposed to be.
    -Joshua Braun

Breaking: 4-star OT Joshua Braun picks Florida

• Like Like x 2
  8. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    But Twodaparty said smart athletes don't really look at UF academics. He thinks that it is funny that Rolle chose FSU over UF .

9. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Try laughing at Braun like that.

10. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    This article says he accumulated 21 credits, which isn’t that much. He wouldn’t have capped out.
    The rejection of Myron Rolle

He’s gone on-record about what factors he considered, and he had football first:
    "I wanted to look for a school that I enjoyed watching [play football] first. But I wanted the school to accept all my AP credits. Also, do they have a medical school on campus?" When Rolle met Garrett Johnson, a Florida State University alum, champion shot putter and Rhodes Scholar, he found a school that demonstrated it had the capacity to allow him to do both.​

The page for UF has a tab that says “Exams” that shows what class credits you get for each score on each exam (try Exam Credit < University of Florida). As far as I could see, they’re identical in terms of what a given score on a test will get you.

If the article I linked above is accurate, he only had 21 AP credits, which is well under the cap at either school at the time.

11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Do both institutions list the exact same AP coursework?

12. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Rolle took an easier path going to f$u. Period. End of story. Go back to *+%&*%!!

13. pusdoc

pusdoc Recruit

Apr 21, 2016
    And now he’s coasting through a neurosurgery residency at Mass General. Talk about lazy!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    And 4 star OL and National merit finalist Braun is challenging himself academically at UF. Character like that can win you championships. Beginning of story.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  15. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It is also possible that Rolle wanted to be a big fish in a small pond academically instead of a smaller fish in a big pond. His accomplishments (and ability to read and write) would stand out more in Tallahassee than Gainesville. With 18-year-olds, you have to consider that decision-making is often faulty (or not logic-based) and psychology often comes into play. And good recruiters are nothing if not master salesmen with an understanding of teen psychology.

I think UF had a WR in the Spurrier years that went through pre-med while playing football--who was that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Makes sense. Seems like he wanted to get get undergrad done ASAP and FSU provided that.

Rolle graduated from Florida State with a B.A. in exercise science in just two and a half years. He is an example of why you should focus on academics because he had a very brief NFL career.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  17. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    A friend used to know some Vanderbilt players some years ago.

They joked that after they got through med school and became orthopedic surgeons, they’d be working on the knees of the guys they played against when they were injured in the NFL.

When I was at UF, the saying was that there were 6000 pre-med students there.

I moved to Tallahassee and ran into a high school friend. He was in PIMS and there were 600 in the program.

He was headed to the UF med school. At the time, both school got in 24 a year, so it looked like he made the best decision on where to go.

18. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    As if a brilliant individual like Rolle wouldn’t have destroyed the curriculum at any undergraduate program he chose to undertake, whether it was at UF, FSU or elsewhere lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    It’s all based on what you score on the AP exam. If you get a 3, 4, or 5 on a given test, you’ll get the same credit at both UF and FSU. I believe that applies for the rest of the public universities in Florida, too.

20. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    With his very brief NFL career it was a good thing he focused on academics.