Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Do academics help in recruiting?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by here-we-go-gators, Dec 6, 2019.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    The hypothetical situation of him coming here and winning championships and getting a good undergrad education is nice and all...but I don't think for one second he regrets anything he chose about his path to success.

2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    He is a brilliant young man and his end result would have been successful at UF or most any other place . He just wanted to go to FSU more than UF . We survived and he did well. His choice his life .

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but academics was Rolle's number one factor. That comment is somewhat open to interpretation. Most people would read that literally as in he was saying he wanted to pick the school with the highest level of academics. But I think what he probably really meant was that he was looking for the best academic path for his long term goals.

4. here-we-go-gators

here-we-go-gators Sophomore

Dec 6, 2019
    Again does not mean academics are not important to smart student athletes.

Not hypothetical, that is what happened for Percy and others who chose UF. Adding another 5 star just makes it even more likely.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  5. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Isolated cases like Rolle are not proof that academics are not important to most smart student athletes.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Rolle is an isolated case of wanting lower rated academics to get AP credits. He is not proof that academics are not important to most smart student athletes.

7. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Ok in the last 20 years name me a Florida or any other football scholarship starter that has done what Rolle did. Go isolate that !

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Thanks for making my point. Rolle is not the norm and not evidence that most smart students want lower rated academics.

9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Don’t chastise him then . He did better than both of us

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    This is proof ! You posted that this kid chose FSU because of an easier way to get to and end result. What a sorry ass post ! If I’m Rolle right now I’m thinking you are a sad individual! Adios !

11. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Where did I say academics weren’t important to them?? And why in the world do you keep bringing Percy up in this conversation?

12. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Twodaparty brought up Rolle not me. Someone else brought up his AP reasoning.

I keep trying to redirect you back to the topic of the thread regarding if good academics are important in recruiting. Rolle is an isolated incident. I said that it meant HE WAS using academics in his reasoning (AP credits). Twodaparty was using him as an example that recruits don't use academics when picking a school.

There is a reason why 59 % of Florida's Bright futures students chose UF. Top rated students like top rated academics. There is a reason why UF's top tier athlete academic center appeals to top student athletes. Top student athletes are seeing the poor ratings of FSU's football graduation rate. That can affect recruiting of smart student athletes.

13. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    I’ll use your words ISOLATED.

• Like Like x 1
  14. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

15. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Wow! Not sure how you got that out of what I said. My point was that addressing some of those people who suggest that Rolle was lying when he said his biggest determining factor in picking a school was academics. I think he did pick based on academics, just not in the way people interpreted what he said.

I've already stated that I think academics is more a tool to recruit the parents than the kids.

• Like Like x 2
  16. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Exactly. Agree. And parents are important in recruiting, especially mom. No one factor applies to all recruits' final decision but there is a reason why coaches always try and get in good with the mom.

I don't think Rolle was lying because he did use academic reasoning that FSU would allow him to graduate quicker. You actually addressed the topic : Are academics important to smart students in recruiting?

17. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    I
    Just trying to keep you on the thread topic.

Rolle ,who Twodaparty brought up as an example of recruits not using academics in their decision, did use academics in his decision.

I did not chastise Rolle, just pointed out what he missed at UF those years and that he did use academics for his reasoning.

Rolle was a smart student who did use academics in his final decision.

18. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Being in Miami is usually a big factor.

Bryant is a weird inclusion since he was not recruited by prominent programs. The biggest program to offer him was Duke (at least as far as I was able to find). He also got offers from FAMU and Towson, which indicates he was not being recruited by power programs.

Of the 6 NFL prospects to score 48 or higher on the Wonderlic, 2 went to Harvard (Pat McInally and Ryan Fitzpatrick), one went to Boston College (Mike Mamula), one went to Utah State (Kevin Curtis), and two went to traditional SEC powerhouses (Greg McElroy and Ben Watson; Watson transferred from Duke to UGA after his freshman year). Harvard makes sense, since anyone who's an NFL prospect coming out of Harvard is probably smart, but wasn't highly recruited in HS. Not sure if you can draw much from the others.

For the curious, Smith scored a 40 (only around 22 players are known to have scored a 40 or better); Luck got 37; Brady 33; Brees 28; Sherman 24; Charles Woodson scored a 15 or 16 (forum chatter, not a reliable source). Hall of Famers Terry Bradshaw and Dan Marino scored twice as high as our boy Chris Leak, which isn't saying much since Leak posted one of the worst scores ever for a QB (8; 10 is considered "literate"). Cam Newton (21) and Tim Tebow (22), scored just above the average for the general population (20).

FSU and UF offer the same amount of class credit for AP test scores, as they did back when I was going through the process. For the most common AP classes (Bio, Chem, Calc, Stat, English Lit, English Language, European History, American History) they're exactly the same. It's possible that FSU raised its cap on credit hours from 30 to 45 before UF did (UF capped at 30 in the early 2000s; both are up to 45 now), but otherwise I don't see AP credit as being a difference between the schools.
    FSU Admissions | Credit | AP Credit
    Exam Credit < University of Florida

19. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    FSU being a football school, maybe they pulled some academic strings like they did when they got burned by the NCAA for their tutoring scandal. Another poster said Rolle said he got more AP credits at FSU back then. Things can change at admissions. UF's admissions people were known to lose us juco recruits.

20. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    My list of important factors in recruiting:
    1. Money
    2. Money for Cars
    3. Schools that get players in the NFL
    4. Girls
    5. Girls with money
    6. Coaches
    7. Coaches that pay for things
    8. Chick fil a on campus