Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Do academics help in recruiting?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by here-we-go-gators, Dec 6, 2019.

1. here-we-go-gators

here-we-go-gators Sophomore

Dec 6, 2019
    Meyer used to recruit top classes with his "top 1%" catch line. Mullen was with Meyer at that time.

Fortunately UF has multiple features that can appeal to different types of high school athletes. UF just takes it a step further than most with our academic center to make sure our athetes get that degree.

UF's location can appeal to top Florida and South Georgia athletes.

Our wider selection of majors can provide more options for recruits.

Not available for years (2023?) but UF has a top tier athlete dorm planned for across from Hume which is a short walk to our new stand alone football center.

UF has plans for $2.2B in projects in next 10 years

UF plans athletic dorm as part of $2.2 billion campus overhaul

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  2. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We have the same opinion here so I don’t see why my post was wrong. FACT - Myron Rolle chose an inferior academic institution after he cited academics being his number one factor in selecting a school to play football

Sent from my iPhone

3. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    You must have been so happy. Most who say that do pick a top school.
    Does not validate your implication that all smart student athletes pick party schools. Most top student athletes want a good diploma.

Winston said he regrets picking FSU over Stanford. You become who you hang out with. Look at the trouble he got in.

4. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    Although I've seen some pretty nice looking beaver wearing lipstick

5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    There's more to academics than college rankings. Your post inspired me to read more about Myron Rolle's story. I knew he was a Rhodes Scholar, but did not realize he would attend Harvard for his med residency. According to the piece linked above, he chose FSU because it offered a med program, but also because it accepted his high school AP credits. That may have been the difference maker between FSU and UF. While UF's standards for AP may have been higher, FSU seemed to offer the best path for him to pursue his dream of becoming a neurosurgeon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Wait . . . what? The dude became a Rhodes Scholar, which enabled him to study at Oxford. He went on to earn his M.D. and is at Harvard for his residency. He's the last student we should be questioning, when it comes to any academic or institutional decisions.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. boatdrinks

boatdrinks VIP Member

Aug 27, 2008
    In a roundabout way academics directly helps recruiting. The better the academics at a University the higher the likelihood of successful alumni. The successful alumni then turn into high dollar boosters that have more resources to give to bagmen.

kidding of course...sorta.

8. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Thanks! Shows Rolle picked for academic reasons.

First time I heard about that AP thing.
    If you are correct that UF would not accept his AP credits then that is a reason. I always thought UF does accept AP credits.

As I said Rolle was being used as an example that top athletes don't pick top schools based off of academics. Your AP credit story shows Rolle did pick based off of an academic reason needing easier academic standards which makes sense. Allowed him to graduate quicker.

I admire his academic achievements.

9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    If academics mattered to recruits, kids would not choose LSU and their poorly ranked academic programs. The LSU students complain about their damaged classrooms and libraries while the school focuses on football facilities. Misplaced priorities

10. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    LSU locks down their state. All the Mississippi freight that moves through New Orleans has brought strong men to that area. LSU consistently is good in the trenches and top RBs. Transfer Burrough and new QB coach put them over the top.

A factor just as big as any is the football coaches. There is a reason we pay coaches so much. LSU is writing a big check to its QB coach so he stays.

11. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Academics helps win over the parents in many cases. Do you remember the woman who jumped over a table and tackled her son when he tried to sign with Florida State about 15-18 years ago? (I don't know if that was more about academics or discipline, though.) I think a parent's signature is required if the athlete has not turned 18 yet (although that is rare). Getting the parents on your side is a good thing. And players who respect their parents' opinions are typically better-disciplined football players, on and off the field.

12. twodaparty

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes. An easier path..

UF does have higher standards and that includes accepting certain AP credits.

13. twodaparty

Apr 3, 2007
    Bingo.

14. I would say that academics helps UF recruit the kind of athletes that UF seems to prefer, because academics is a differentiator for UF. Academics is not necessarily a differentiator for FSU, Alabama, or most other non-AAU schools, so I would not generalize academics as being important to all schools.

15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mullen is still stressing it.

16. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Only with parents.

17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You have to understand the audience...

I'm sure there's plenty of 1-3 star recruits that heavily prioritize academics... Once you start getting into the top 250 players and the 5 stars, those guys have their eyes set on the NFL... So the school that they like the most that they feel will give them the best chance of making the NFL, being a first round pick, and winning in the process while in college... is the school they will pick...

18. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I mean the guy is a successful neurosurgeon, I'd say things worked out pretty well for him regardless of which school he went to.

19. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    And they can be a big influence. They may have influenced their kids to be good students. With UF now having higher academic standards we need good students.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  20. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    That does not mean that academics don't matter. He was just an unusual case where he wanted lower academic standards to get more AP credits. If he had played with Percy he would have gotten two national championship rings and a better undergrad education. Some people will succeed academically wherever they go and he was one of them.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019