Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Do academics help in recruiting?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by here-we-go-gators, Dec 6, 2019.

1. FatherGoat

FatherGoat GC Hall of Fame

Apr 18, 2007
    Academics help fill the classes at FSU and Auburn.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. goneagaingator

goneagaingator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Not sure how much of a difference it all makes.

Remember, a lot of these kids, particularly your four and five-star types, pick majors like Communications, Anthropology and Social and Behavioral sciences. Considering that these are widely selected among many football players, how much harder would Florida’s program(s) really be than at a place like LSU or Auburn?

I mean, most of these kids aren’t going into nuclear engineering.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. here-we-go-gators

here-we-go-gators Sophomore

Dec 6, 2019
    The beauty of UF as a large school is we offer many types of majors in case an athlete decides to change majors.

Mullen has developed all types of players into NFL prospects. So UF can offer things to all different types of athletes.

Unlike FSU, UF athletes have a very high graduation rate. Of course only1.6% of ncaa football players makes the NFL so odds are you need a good diploma and alum base to help you get a good job if you are not in the top 1.6%.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pusdoc

pusdoc Recruit

Apr 21, 2016
    Even though he went to FSU, it seemed to work out pretty well for him. He was a Rhodes scholar and is currently a neurosurgery resident at Mass General.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. ColoradoNoVaGator

ColoradoNoVaGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't say anything to imply that we don't send our share of players to the NFL.

But I'm still not sure why we don't seem to be getting "our share" of 5-stars as of late.

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Even a blind pig (FSU) finds an acorn occasionally. UF has a Rhodes scholar football player also.

Keep in mind that the majority of high IQ top athletes would prefer not going to a college for dummies.

7. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Meyer/ Mullen and Zook got alot of 5 star recruits after a period of high UF success under Spurrier.

UF has not been ranked #6 in the final polls since Tebow left (Mullen was at UF for Tebow). Mullen has a shot of UF being ranked #6 for two years in a row. On the field success can bring in recruits.

Mullen currently is following the 6 years of failures of Muschamp and McElwain. Mac was a lazy recruiter and developer.

With two top bowls in a row Mullen is getting UF lined up for a strong 2021 recruiting class.

Mullen has done well attracting strong transfers like 5 star DE Cox, high rated WR Grimes, DE Greenard and WR Jefferson.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  8. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Doesn’t change the fact that he said he was putting academics first in his college decision and it came down to Florida and Florida state and he chose the latter. I don’t care if he’s a Rhodes Scholar. He was wrong picking f$u for undergrad if he was basing his decision on academics. My guess is he picked f$u because he knew the classes would he easier if he picked the same major at each university and he wanted to get the best grades possible to become a Rhodes Scholar and f$u gave him the best shot at that since they have lower standards.

Oh and he was rated higher than Percy. That worked out real well!

Sent from my iPhone

9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It sounds nice but these kids aren’t taking the classes that separates UF from other schools. The vast majority are keeping themselves academically eligible. I’m sure there are a group takeing advantage of getting an education but even then, the real degree will come after football.

10. volungator

volungator Sophomore

May 4, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    You can't be serious?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    SCOOTERS

12. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Again. Even blind pigs (FSU) find an acorn sometimes.

Rolle made a really stupid decision chosing FSU in 2006. If he chose UF in 2006 he would have gotten a better education plus two national championship rings instead of playing for a mediocre FSU team with a senile Bowden those years.

People make bad decisions all the time and Rolle is one of them. The Pouncey twins chose UF because Bowden could not remember who they were. Better decision.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    WOW! Here's a guy who has worked hard and is a resident neurosurgeon at Harvard and you are ridiculing him? You must be real intelligent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    And that group normally is the 35-40 walking that give a crap about school. It’s a joke the classes that a majority of scholarship players take . For that group it doesn’t matter if it’s Florida or UTEP..

Just being real here

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Rolle has done very well in his medical career and is one hell of a young man.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Reacting to twodaparty's obnoxious post implying academics don't matter. Pointing out what Rolle missed out on at UF due to his decision is not ridiculing him.

Really respect Rolle for working hard on academics. Picking high rated Oxford and Harvard and working hard there was a good decision. I compliment that.

It is OK that Rolle chose a school that is lower rated in the medical field for undergrad and has lower graduation rates for football players. UF does have a top Brain Institute Rolle could have visited but he may have wanted easier undergrad classes at FSU while he played football.

Bowden those years was slowly getting pushed out by FSU at a time UF was winning 2 national championships.I am criticizing Rolle's decision of choosing FSU then but not his hard work on academics. Getting two national championship rings at UF could have been fun for him and visiting UF's cutting edge Brain Institute could have taught him things he did not learn at FSU.

I feel that Rolle's focus on academics should be complimented not ridiculed.

17. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Academic standards of the university I think helps whereas rigorous academic standards for the athletes in the potential professional sports probably limits the number of capable players. Probably like woman's basketball where a team or two is able to achieve elite results whereas the rest wallow in mediocrity.

18. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Agree. UF is hard to get into now for all high school students.

UF was smart to put all the money into the Farrior academic center. It is producing a high graduation rate for our UF athletes in spite of UF being a competitive university that employers want to hire graduates of. FSU has been getting very low rating for football graduation rates.

19. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Totally depends on the kid. Different kids have different motivations for picking schools. Most pick based on some combination of factors such as: making mom happy, staying close to home, big crowds, relationship with coaches, siblings or friends at the school, potential media exposure, best route to the NFL, etc. Some pick for crazy reasons, like I recall an LSU recruit years ago say he chose LSU because he liked the dorm rooms.

There are a few kids who actually care about academics too, but I think that's becoming more rare. The majority of the college football players are majoring in something like social science, criminal justice or sports management. I don't believe the academic reputation of a school means as much to most of these kids.

But there are some really smart college football players who are majoring in things medicine or engineering who academics really do matter.

I think that on average, the academic reputation is something schools use more to sell parents than the kids. And that does help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    You can put lipstick on a squirrel, and, it's still a squirrel. ;)