Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Diwun Black status

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Rkb75, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Sounds like there might be a crack to get back on the team if he can get his academics in order.

2. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    He tweeted that he has elected to enter the transfer portal. I don’t think he can yet, but that’s the plan.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Legend

Dec 11, 2018
    We often refer to common sense or an educated-guess for reading between the lines. We also say, "it takes one to know one." In my case, that fits, and nothing--not even education--trumps experience. My second grade teacher recognized I had a learning disability and went about correcting it. I highly doubt I would have gone very far in school if she had not addressed my disability. Enough about me, I just wanted you fellas to understand why I have a soft spot for Diwun Black and wish him the best.

Sadly, his learning disabilities--and sometimes there are more than just one--interfere with traditional learning. Many places of learning have a one-size-fits-all approach to pedagogy. Many times, teachers cannot devote one-on-one time with a student for several reasons. I suspect that may be the case here. No doubt his disabilities were challenging to him and all involved. Probably, he had tutors, as student-athletes frequently benefit from tutors. Tutors are just one piece, and disabilities can be multi-faceted. I place NO JUDGMENT upon Diwun, UF, or the coaching staff. Kudos to everyone for giving it a very hard effort and happy trails to an amazing talent in Diwun!

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    If so, that's great. But if not, so be it. Power 5 college football isn't for everyone. There's a student aspect of it that everyone should be achieving. He's had plenty of chances, if the coaches feel that his scholly will be better used by someone else who can put in the work, I have no problem with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. g8torlenny

g8torlenny Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Waste of possible talent, just does not want to apply himself in the classroom. Just a shame.

6. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Doesn’t want to or can’t? You do know that he has some learning disabilities, right?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If he does indeed have a gap between what he is expected to do at the college level and what he is capable (minus brute force desire), he is old enough to go into the draft. He won't be drafted but he will be signed on pure athleticism alone.

8. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Apparently, everybody and their brother knows it. It's probably a very safe assumption that CBN knows it too. And yet, Coach dismissed him from the team and stated publicly that Diwun needs to focus on his academics. Not "he needs more time." Not "he needs more help." CBN said he needs to focus.

That doesn't sound (to me) that CBN thinks he can't keep up with his academics. That can only be because Coach is completely unaware of any learning disability; or because he feels the player has chosen not to do take care of his academic responsibilities.

I agree with Lenny.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Care to elaborate, Babe?