Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

diplomatic vandalism

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PITBOSS, Jul 13, 2019.

1. OldCowboy

OldCowboy Freshman

Jun 13, 2011
    Spot on. Look at the evidence.

2. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    I call it as I see it. The good, the bad and the ugly. However there are those that refuse to take the blinders off and see the entire picture. To them everything is either racist, homophobic, xenophobic, nationalist etc...

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Popularity doesn't make something right. Remember, at one time slavery was popular. Marching native Americans from their homes to reservations in desolate lands was popular. And at one time and in one place, rounding up Jews and putting them in concentration camps was popular. None of these things was right.

And of course, the "civilized world" sometimes has ulterior motives when it comes to dealing with a terrorist state that has oil money and wants to buy things. They may overlook the evil when they see dollar signs (or euro signs). As long as the terrorism isn't killing their people, they are willing to overlook it if it pays the bills.

4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I understand what you meant, but that bolded part is not quite accurate. It would have been more fair to say that stripping Jewish people of their citizenship, wealth, and homes was popular. But the Final Solution (which I believe is what you were referring to) was deliberately hidden for good reasons from the German people by conducting it in occupied territories under the cover of war with as few people knowing about it as possible. That doesn't mean that many people didn't learn anyway (the smell of blood carries a long way) and will themselves to disbelieve, but the notion of what was popular probably does not apply in the same way as some of the other examples you used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Official Brexit Reporter! Premium Member

Tracking down the leak, absolutely. There looks to be criminal behaviour involved here.

Getting rid of Sir Kim? He resigned, he wasn't sacked. And he was doing his job, which is to give his view. If you flip it on its head, would you want a US diplomat to the UK to be subservient to the UK Government or to represent your own best interests? No other country is any different.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    The rounding them up part that chem mentioned was supported by a lot of people though. They didn't know what was going to happen to those people, but didn't want them around. German citizens would report their Jewish neighbors or others hiding Jews and Kristallnacht involved civilians.

7. steveGator52

steveGator52 All American

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Seriously? Any agreement could be considered an improvement over no agreement. But this agreement was worthless. Military sites are off limits to inspectors, with a 3+ week waiting period along with other limitations having to be fulfilled before access can be granted to those sites.

It’s like having a kid swear they cleaned their room, and the parent being unable to enter the room to verify unless they present a valid reason to the kid for entering. And even with a valid reason, the kid can prevent the parent from entering the room for an additional 3 weeks. So absent actually entering the room, how can the parent verify the kid did clean the room?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree that the deal was embarrassingly one-sided. And that's before you get to the secret provisions. If I just wanted a deal to say I got a deal, then I would not have taken it to the Senate, either. My guess is that many of the key Democrats (Schumer, especially) would have pulled support once they realized what was in it. And that would have been a serious political defeat.

9. iran is simply a rogue state that cannot be relied upon to make any deal that is not heavily one-sided to their advantage.

I don't believe they will ever respond to anything but extreme sanctions and threat of force.

The difference is that WE paid THEIR bills in the original deal and got... what? NOTHING of value in return. Just empty promises that they have not lived up to.

10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Both the IAEA and the US government found that Iran complied with the agreement.

Iran is complying with nuclear deal restrictions: IAEA report - Reuters

Trump administration certifies Iran still complying with nuclear deal

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. dynogator

dynogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    In every way possible, except for a few. Trump is undoubtedly superior to Obama in moronic Tweets, in marital infidelity, in cost of golf trips, in lawsuits filed against him, and in number of foreign dictators literally embraced.

("Courage", really?)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Somehow he manages to ooze it right through computer monitors. Mine needed to be cleaned after reading that post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 All American

Nov 26, 2017
    No he hurts our country's standing with our allies. He hurts our credibility on the world stage-- on which he is playing out his foolish comedic rendition of a president for all to see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. grumpygator77

Nov 26, 2017
    Just because someone does not agree with you does not make them crazy.

But I will admit I have met a lot of folks in this country that wish to believe they are right and the rest of the country and the world is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Many of his tweets are juvenile.

As to our allies. They aren’t going anywhere. They need us to keep them safe and to pay most of the bills and to provide the manpower (can I still use this word without being politically correct?) to do it.

He still hurts peoples feelings with his tweets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    The deal was better than the status quo...if Trump truly had an issue with it outside of red meat for his base, he should have improved on it, and taken time to do so...same goes with Obamacare...instead he just made them both worse, without any plan to improve..

Trump really hasn't done shit other than sign off on a highly regressive tax cut from a Republican Congress, and USSC picks from the Federalist Society...GWB can be credited with the same...

Economic numbers have generally trended the same..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Yes, you listed many of the ways Trump is inferior to Obama. I would also add class, fidelity, non rapey-ness, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He does "hurt people's feeling with his tweets", and statements.

He also encourages white nationalists with his bigoted and racist tweets and statements, as well as the more subtle "dog whistles".

His encouragement of these violent right wing fringe groups has also encouraged more activity from Antifa and possibly other violent left wing groups in response.

What he is doing is flat out bad for the country. It's not just hurting people's feelings.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. grumpygator77

Nov 26, 2017
    Hurting people's feelings is a sorry a$$ defense of someone who has asked US elected Congress women to go back where they came from, calling many women ugly names, insulting veterans of war as not heroes, and the list goes on, and on.

So because you believe someone is your ally, it's OK to call them names, degrade them, and act like a jerk-- AS PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

I'm thoroughly disgusted by the defense of everything this guy says and does. Ask yourself, would you be OK with your kids tweeting the same type of tripe this guy does on a daily basis? Is that acceptable? Is that the behavior we should defend in front of kids who use social media? Is it any wonder civility is all but non-existent these days?

Enough is enough already

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    For the Islamic Republic? Absolutely.

But, sorry, I don’t care about improving the regime’s grip on power by cooling the howl of their mob about the lamentable state of their economy. They loved angry mobs as a vehicle to power. They can love them now that they’re in power.

If they want a treaty (an actual treaty), then they need to completely dismantle their nuclear weapons program. And the onus is on them to satisfy us that they have done so. But, politics aside, what we all know about the regime is that as much as they want the sanctions lifted, they want the bomb more. I say, if they want a North Korean style weapons program, they can have a North Korean style economy.