Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Did the committee put uva 24 to appease the acc?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Dec 9, 2019.

1. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I don't have an issue with UGA being ahead of us even though they got blown out because they played for the CG, beat us head to head and played an extra game. They deserve to be ahead of us.

Oregon played 3 ranked teams all season. Lost to Auburn, beat #25 Washington by 4 points and beat what I thought all along was an overrated Utah team. Utah dropped from #5 to #11. I don't think Oregon should have jumped 7 spots or that Utah should have dropped 6.

Baylor faced 2 ranked teams and they were both Oklahoma and they lost both. Yes they were competitive in both games but they lost. While they have 1 more win than us and played in the CG, there is no reasonable explanation that they shouldn't have dropped at least a couple spots (remember Utah dropped 6) or that they should be ahead of Florida or PSU.

If Wisconsin had 2 losses, then I'd agree they should be ranked ahead of UF. They should be the top ranked 3 loss team without question. But with 3 losses, in my opinion, there's no way they should ranked ahead of UF, PSU or Utah, especially with the loss to Illinois.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Part-time ACC member ND probably should’ve gotten the OB slot, but obviously they’re not considered a member of the conference. It’s their own fault, they should have to join a conference. ND vs UF would’ve been a nice game though.

“How landscape of college football has changed for Notre Dame last 25 years. In 1994 a 6-4-1 Notre Dame team played 11-1 and #4 Colorado in Fiesta Bowl. In 2019 10-2 and #15 Notre Dame plays 7-5 Iowa State in Camping World Bowl.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    They can't invite Utah, their contract is ACC team vs SEC/Big10/ND.

Everything I've heard from the OB Committee indicates they'd just take the division winner that lost the ACCCG.

The contract is with the ACC, so that's never going to be in there (just like the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl aren't taking an at-large team).

The Orange Bowl can't take an at-large team. If they're not hosting a semifinal, the matchup is ACC vs. SEC/Big10/ND.

ND will remain independent for as long as they've got a dedicated TV deal. ND doesn't gain any advantage by actually joining the ACC in football. If anything, they'd be screwed by having to play a shit schedule like Clemson. In a year where USC and Stanford weren't ranked, ND played 4 ranked teams, only one of which was from the ACC.

4. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I don't really buy the not penalizing the team that plays an extra game. A lot of time the loser of the conference championship finally played a team (the winner) that they did not face during the season that other teams in the conference faced, so if you take the game into consideration, the loser is just gravitating back to where they should be in the rankings instead of being artificially elevated just because they happened to come from a weaker side of the conference, e.g. like the SEC West has been lopsidedly stronger than the East of the past decade.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    The CFP Committee should be required to show who in the committee voted for whom. Details. It's a collection of Power 5 ADs, former ADs, coaches and players...as well as a media rep. 1. who are these people and 2. how did they vote

If we don't know either of these answers, how can we even assume these results aren't biased. Granted some would be given death threats if their names come out...

But one thing for certain - they DEFINITELY got our ranking and many others completely WRONG.

6. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I respectfully disagree. Imagine the lobbying and bribes going around if their identities were publicly known. I can imagine fans sending threats or trying to intimidate the voters as well. And I can see the votes being influenced if voters felt they were going to be subject to public scrutinized as well.

I think it's best if they remain anonymous. The one thing I think they should do is have a plan in place to recuse/replace any voters with direct ties to any of the schools in the running.

7. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    I respectfully disagree. A lot of the 5-12 is splitting hairs into 8 different pieces. You could make a case for just about any one of them. Regardless, it doesn’t matter anyway ...because it has no bearing on the final poll anyway. It’s to determine who gets into the playoff... and to a lesser extent the bowl matchups, in which case we were going to the Orange whether we were 6th or 10th. The Top 4 are right ...and the bowls are aligned correctly with maybe PSU having the only complaint of missing out on the Rose.

This is just a lot of wasted energy. And the “agenda” or “bias” excuses are just that - “go to” excuses ever time a fan base gets their feelings hurt.

8. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    The committee members are publicly announced, there's no secret.

Members are recused from ranking affiliated teams:
    Arizona State Paola Boivin, R.C. Slocum
    Arkansas State Terry Mohajir
    Florida Scott Stricklin
    Georgia Tech Todd Stansbury
    Iowa Gary Barta
    Mississippi State Scott Stricklin
    NC State Ray Odierno
    Oklahoma Frank Beamer, Joe Castiglione
    Oregon Rob Mullens
    Texas A&M R.C. Slocum
    Virginia Tech Frank Beamer

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
  10. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I don't know about that. We're #6 in AP and #9 in CFP playoff. It's not then end of the world, but finishing the season in the top 5 is a pretty big thing. We'd have had a shot at it if we were #6. The highest we can likely finish now is #7.

• Like Like x 1
  11. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Is that correct? Why are Stricklin, Slocum and Beamer all listed twice?

12. antny1

antny1 All American

Dec 3, 2019
    Way to over simplify and deride someone else's argument. Whose feelings are hurt? I simply stated there was an agenda to window dress some bowl games that was evidenced by the anomaly from the past season/seasons of how teams were ranked following wins and losses because the SEC has an inordinate amount of high ranking teams this year. I could drag this down and say people oversimplify arguments and deride the opposition because they don't like to be disagreed with. Real productive right?

13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly! I wish some of the better bowls stopped this practice, or at least all of the NY6 bowls.

14. antny1

antny1 All American

Dec 3, 2019
    Also seems to correlate with preseason ranking potential the following year as well. That usually isnt an issue with us as our conference and schedule typically means win and you're in but it does help with perception of the program and possibly mitigates a drop in the polls if you start high but lose a game along the way

15. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Stricklin used to be the AD at Mississippi State (not sure why he's the only one with a current and a previous job as conflicts, but it may be tied to how long he's been at Florida: he moved in 2016, so there are still guys playing for MSSt who were there during his tenure; he's an MSSt alum, and his father-in-law played basketball at MSSt)
    Slocum's son is an assistant at ASU
    Beamer's son is an assistant at Oklahoma

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  16. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Why in the would they allow 2 people from the same family? That seems wrong.

17. interrygator73

interrygator73 Sophomore

Feb 21, 2017
    Depends on your interpretation of this phrase. You're positing "ranked in the top 25." An alternate explanation is "ranked in the ACC" meaning the perceived 2nd best team in the ACC.

I've always assumed the latter. My guess is that is what the conference tie in practice intends.

Like your interpretation better as it encourages better matchups. Agree with many posters in this thread that it's about the $$$ to the conferences.

18. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Is there a final ranking from this committee, or is the committee just used to set the playoffs and bowls?
    I thought it was the latter- so there is no final ranking from the CFP committee.

If I'm right, then the only final ranking are the polls. We are #6 in the AP, #7 in the Coaches.
    If we beat UVA convincingly, we could end up 5th if UGA loses.

I should say again that we must throttle UVA. If it's close, then Baylor jumps us with a win.

19. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    And we are still #6 in the poll. The playoff ranking doesn’t impact it

20. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    If that's the case then great! Wasn't aware of that. I think it would be really significant if Mullen finished his second season in the top 5.