Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Did the committee put uva 24 to appease the acc?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Dec 9, 2019.

1. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The rule says if the acc champion is in the playoff the next highest RANKED team from the conference gets the Orange Bowl. Well we all know the acc shouldn’t have another ranked team. Uva gets absolutely curb stomped in their game and drops 1 spot from 23 to 24. Things that make you go hmmm..

Orange must be pissed. If they didn’t have to pick uva I’m sure they would have loved to extend an invite to Utah for example or anyone more deserving which is at least 10 other teams.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Likely. It's good business to have ranked match-ups in the NY6 Bowls, even if it means having to work the numbers a bit to make it happen. CFP Committee autonomy exists to a point, then the politics of big $$$$ make an appearance.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Bowl tie-ins are about the conferences making money. College football is still run by the P5 conferences after all and they heavily influence the NCAA and the playoff committee.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    A lot of the rankings looked suspiciously political

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

And this is exactly one of the many reasons I can't stand this stupid playoff committee format

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Well, they aren’t doing anything without the P5’s blessings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MyakkaGator

Unfortunately, this is the case.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    Absolutely! Our piss poor ranking and the fact that Virginia is ranked at all is meddling of the highest order to force certain Bowl outcomes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Pretty sure if there was no other ranked acc team they still would have had to pick an acc team, it just would have been the orange bowls choice. Now they probably left them ranked to make the matchup appear better and possibly to avoid letting them pick 7-5 miami, but it didnt cost the orange bowl a good team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Yep. How they can put a 3-loss Wisconsin and 2-loss Oregon and Baylor ahead of 2 loss UF is seriously beyond me.

• Agree x 14
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  11. MyakkaGator

I'm glad we're playing in the orange bowl just for recruiting purposes...

Miami and fsu are down and in between practices, think about how easy it will be to hit all the high schools in the area of what is the biggest recruiting hotbed in the whole country bar none.... And if we thrash UVA which I fully expect us to do, what better recruiting display to all of those local prospects could there ever be?

It has the potential to be a perfect recruiting storm for this cycle and more importantly, next cycle.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. grantgator

grantgator Sophomore

Apr 11, 2007
    Orlando
    It is clear that what the committee did do was NOT penalize teams that played and lost in conference championship games. Plus they also clearly rewarded those teams that won (Oregon).

I think they pretty much got it right. So long as it didn't mess with our getting the Orange Bowl I am OK with it.

And yes the Orange Bowl still will have needed to pick a ACC team ranked or not.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. MyakkaGator

They need to write it as pick an acc team OR an at large team of equal OR higher ranking.

If they would just slip that little clause, think of how much better this game could be and how much more revenue would be brought in to the that town as a consequence.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think it actually helps UF that we're playing a mediocre program like UVA, and that UVA got bumped up in the rankings. Assuming we take the game seriously and have a convincing win, we keep the momentum going. 11 wins (1 more than last year) and probably top 7 in final rankings, likely passing the loser of the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl (go Baylor).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. antny1

antny1 All American

Dec 3, 2019
    Wish this would get more discussion. Our ranking relative to the way they ranked the teams ahead of us (as well as Virginia) are complete anomalies compared to how they ranked the rest of the year. It is clear there was an agenda to drum up interest in what would otherwise be some low ranking matchups in top bowls. Florida lost close games to 2 top 10 teams and with key players out. We won handily in our last game. Wisconsin played a good half but then was shut out for their 3rd loss and didnt drop. Georgia was lit up against a common opponent and didn't drop. Fsu won their first title because Notre Dame who beat fsu head to head lost a close game against Boston college and was dropped behind fau. Thst is just one example of many of how losses drop a team no matter what happened earlier in the year. The only team who has been immune to that standard has been Bama but that is another discussion.

Oregon has 2 losses one being pretty bad and one to a team we beat and they leapfrog several teams.

It is pretty clear that with so many high ranked SEC teams the committee "shared the wealth" ranking other conference teams higher to salvage bowl matchups otherwise contractually lower tier bowls would have higher ranked sec teams than a couple of top tier bowl games wpuld have had

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    The ranking is appropriate. Clemson would beat the #21, 22, 23, 25 just as badly.

The mistake everyone seems to make, every year, is to continue looking at the committee rankings like it’s a traditional AP Poll ...and it’s not. Everyone gets upset that team (A) moved back further this week than team (B) did last week. The rankings reset each week. And it’s hard to penalize a team who plays an extra game against what might be the best team in the country, while 116 other teams sit at home.

There is nothing to this.

• Like Like x 3
  17. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think appease all the P5 conferences, they all have to have a guaranteed tie-in to one of the NY6 bowls. The Orange Bowl kind of got screwed being left with the ACC. If they don't host a playoff, or the ACC champion doesn't make the playoff, they almost never get a desirable match-up. And even if they get the ACC champions, they're kind of screwed because outside of FSU and Clemson, the ACC teams don't travel well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. antny1

antny1 All American

Dec 3, 2019
    Who is arguing the top 3? At least for me the rest of the rankings clearly satisfy an agenda. There is no way to avoid the top3 even with Clemson's joke schedule. Top 3 is clear and probably 4 as well. The rest was a fix to make matchups look better

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    The Baylor ranking is certainly debatable but I don’t have an issue with Wisconsin. They did have a worse loss than us ...but they also had 3 quality wins to our 1. Our best wins were Auburn & one 7-5 team. It really not that controversial.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. It came perilously close to messing with our Orange Bowl. There was room for some other at-large team to take our spot and cover for the OB to do it.

I will always suspect that the only real reason we were picked was that we will sell lots of tickets locally. uva will not travel well and is unappealing nationally. Matching them w/ penn, wisc or a western team would result in multitudes of empty seats.