Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Did Florida rush to judgment when firing Dan Mullen?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorBait42, Dec 18, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g8trdoc

g8trdoc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No doubt he’s a better X’s and O’s guy

2. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I get what you're saying. I've been on this board and others for many years and some people are super negative, others super positive, some like to take shots at people they disagree with, some like to make jokes without intending to offend. Once it's put to writing those words are out there and often they get misunderstood or taken the wrong way. To be a regular participant, it takes a tough skin. Some can dish it out, but can't take it. Some are living in fantasy land, some are realists, some back their posts with facts, others with sheer emotion. But to me that's what makes it great - we're all different people with different personalities from different backgrounds, yet we're all Florida Gators (except the intruders who like to stir the pot!). I do think we all tend to take ourselves too seriously and actually think what we say and post here really matters, when all we're doing is venting sometimes, sharing joy over wins other times, whining over losses and basically killing time when we could be doing other things more productive. Yet, for the most part I enjoy being here.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    George made sandwiches for him when they went rock climbing. Thought it was funny coincidence since the original message referenced maclwein making sandwiches. Wasn't my intention as the main point was that yes, I'd be down with that staff if we could have all of them in their primes.

4. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    I didn't want him hired -- I was a strong supporter of Kelly -- but wanted him to stay at least one more year to see what he'd do with Richardson, who was a prototypical QB for his version of the spread option. I didn't -- and still don't -- buy the narrative that he was lazy or even that he was a worse than average recruiter. When he was hired, I thought he'd be a 9-to-10 win a year guy and would occasionally have a great year where we'd win the conference and an occasionally have a less than great year, with a floor of about 8 wins. I didn't think his one bad year out of four was enough to get him fired. And then when he was fired, i would have preferred Tom Herman because he also ran the spread option, and we had a team built for that.

With all that said, I don't think Mullen was going to make us a perennial power, just competent and relevant. If the only goal is national championships, then it made sense to try to find someone more likely to build that kind of program. If the goal is relevance and being in the conversation, then I think Mullen would have continued to do that just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Absence makes the heart fonder. Thankfully, pressers live for ever.
    No
    Nope
    Never

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf GC Legend

Jun 20, 2022
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

Yeah, Mac and his PBJs. What a joke.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Yeah I know. Step off antny1.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    No. And I was one held on to hope until very close to the end. He clearly left us before we fired him.

And I’ll probably do the same with BN. One thing that is somewhat encouraging is that he doesn’t seem to get as rattled by the noise. The current climate would have broken the last 4 hires …and did.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent
    I don’t think we rushed to judgement… but I think we discounted how many issues there are with recruiting here/UAA/money/academic hurdles etc… wasn’t all “Mullen is lazy”… although that’s part of it.
    I will say though- he came in after Mcilwain and won almost immediately and we didn’t hear much “cupboard is bare talk”… the way we do now. Because he emphasized scheme and matchups over 5 stars everywhere. Nape could learn

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    The cupboard wasn't bare though. There was talent and yes, some of our best players were still transfers he brought in like Jefferson, Grimes, and others but the talent was absolutely bare by the time he left. Our QB room,WR room, Tight end, and offensive line were in rough shape when he left not to mention the mess on defense Grantham made.

I am thankful Mullen made football fun again for a few years but he absolutely quit on the program. He was a breath of fresh air for a short while. I found this screenshot of a conversation from years ago. Frustrating that now it's the defense replicating these horrific numbers but this was the offense before Mullen fixed things for his first few years...

Screenshot_20231218_211250_Gallery.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I wouldn’t have been upset if UF gave Mullen another year, but at the end he pretty much fired himself.

I definitely thought he needed to let Grantham go year prior (who didn’t after that defensive debacle?). A new DC and focus on defensive recruiting and it might’ve turned around. That decision probably doomed him and made it harder to argue for keeping him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. finorman

finorman All American

Jan 30, 2009
    It’s like getting back together with your old girlfriend….. within 15 minutes you remember all the reasons you broke up.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Appreciate the 10 win seasons but should never have been hired in the first place.
    Tenure was quite a roller coaster ride. Exceeded my expectations early, sucked us in, then crashed and burned. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Yes, but you will get bacon and dislikes. I'm happy to have Billy, but I thought Mullen just put too much faith in Emory Jones and it cost him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    My reply about anything Mullen?

[​IMG]

17. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl

HELL NO