Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Despite Being Best Candidate Biden Being Pushed Aside

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by madgator, Feb 11, 2019.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Well, you're way off base. I have a number of conservative friends, and one of my professional mentors was a very well known conservative judge.

However, the likability of politicians is definitely connected to ideology. I think Trump is repugnant. Many Republicans love him. You clearly don't like Beto. Many people to the left, including myself, find him to be very likable.

2. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Was this written in October, 2016 or do you know something we don't know? Who was the one non-male President? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Nonsense! I could not possibly loathe a politician more than Hillary Clinton. I never saw her as threatening. Any good Republican candidate would have beaten her.

4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Edith Wilson, Woodrow's wife, secretly ran the White House for a year and a half after he had a massive stroke. Not sure if that's what is being referred to but it is a really cool story.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I don’t dislike Beto. I don’t think I have ever even said anything negative about him, other than today. I think we’re getting a little testy here, aren’t we. My point is to show that Biden has many positives that will appeal to a lot of people on both sides.

6. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Nice to have some/one Edith fan online. I had forgotten that.

7. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    True. But I think name and his feisty-anti-T rhetoric will get him a long way early. He's the only brand name so far, and I don't see any realistic opponents that aren't going to require extensive introductions, except for Bernie and maybe Warren. Bernie's even older than Biden and Trump. Warren is best known for a negative.

8. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    FTR, I personally would be AOK with Biden. However, were it my job to pick a winner for the D's, I would never recommend him. Someone on death's doorstep is a different story for R's, prolly even a positive.

9. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    I never thought I would see the day where Biden is the most liked candidate from the right.

Kind of shows how far left Democrats have gone when Biden looks like a centrist.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They like him because their internals show the same thing as the D's: he's likely to lose.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I'd bet everything I own that the democratic candidate will be under 50 years old and either a minority or a female or both. The winning blueprint is pretty obvious

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    He really went after Anita Hill back in the day too, they probably like that too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    I don't know about under 50. Harris is 54.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Emendation; The Democratic nominee will be at minimum 2 out of the following 3: Under 50, a Minority, a Female.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I thought Biden was Obama's please dont assassinate me plan. He is an imbecile without the ability to speak in coherent sentence. He is a spray tan away from being Donald Trump.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    I think Beto has a decent shot if he runs, he's only one of those things. But for the most part you are probably right.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I agree with the general sentiment but I would say instead under 55.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Non white and/or non male president = Obama. We've only had one president who wasn't a white male.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Testy? LOL. You literally said he's not a likable person:

20. PerSeGator

PerSeGator All American

Jun 14, 2014
    You're putting the cart before the horse. Hillary's weakness as a candidate was a product of literally decades of right wing attacks, made in anticipation of a presidential run. That's just the way the right wing machine operates. Identify a potential candidate and attack, attack, attack, hoping the adage of "where there's smoke there might be fire" holds true and reduces enthusiasm.

It's why the right is attacking pretty much every likely Democratic candidate now while boosting the people that probably won't run (like Biden). It makes the candidates seem questionable in their own right and doubly worse by comparison to the "good" guys that are no threat to be nominated.

If you want to pretend that it just so happens that Republicans like non-candidates more than candidates, and candidates more than nominees, go ahead. No one with brain matter between the ears believes you, though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1