Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Despite Being Best Candidate Biden Being Pushed Aside

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by madgator, Feb 11, 2019.

1. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    As a "rightie" I would say that Biden is the only one in the names that I have seen that I really fear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    This is a br’er rabbit taunt. “Don’t throw us in the Joe Biden patch!”

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    JFK, RFK, carter, Hart, Dukakis, Clinton, gore, Obama

The party has a history of supporting somewhat younger canidates. With a few exceptions at least under 55. But definitely vs over 70.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Beto would be a terrible choice as VP, and I say that as somebody who likes him as a Presidential candidate. He doesn't offer much from that spot
    His experience doesn't make him the old hand balancing a less experienced candidate, a la Biden. He doesn't provide any geographic or demographic advantages (although I think these are overrated). Plus, I think there is serious potential for people wondering if he should be the top of the ticket given his abilities, which is something that most candidates try to avoid. He isnt a great attack dog. He has a very distinct and relatively unique style that would be difficult to mold to the top of the ticket's messaging. Basically, the only thing he does well from that position is raise small money, but VPs are often the person you want raising big money at events where your candidate shouldn't be seen. That isnt his strength either.

If there is a white male VP candidate, it would be more likely to be somebody like Hickenlooper or Sherrod Brown.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sounds like more projected victimhood from white "conservative" males.

Now just calling themselves looking out for white males wanting to run as Dems, when they really don't give a shit.

Although its possible he could beat Trump, Biden is not a good candidate for POTUS because he's just not the sharpest tool in the shed and age isn't helping.

What I would like to see is Biden calling out Trump on his "taking people out behind the woodshed" rhetoric. Biden would lay a good, and very well deserved beat down on Trump.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  6. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Not at all. Biden makes unforced errors, but they are relatively minor and because he is a likeable Guy they are generally overlooked. He also very much appeals to the older democrats who while liberal, do not like the hard left turn that the party is taking.

He would certainly get some crossover votes. Biden would probably be a fun guy to go have a few beers with.

Beto, Harris, Warren, Booker all make forced errors and are generally not likeable people.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    I've had drinks/meal with his brother......pretty good guy actually

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Then, it's not racial.

Well, none of us know who will be at the top of the ticket, but it is undeniable that there is a lot of enthusiasm for Bernie and Beto. Thus, you shouldn't be arguing that it's a racial issue when the real issue seems to be Biden.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Beto needs to run hard until it looks like he's hurting more qualified, more viable candidates, then get out of the way and back the frontrunner. I want to see him grow to middle age in the house, then maybe the senate and finally take a stab at it in 2028 or so. Letting him run now would be like uncorking a bottle of 1961 Chateau Petrus in 1962. He's not ready and he would leave a terrible taste in our mouths.

10. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    The Democrats don't care if Republicans find their candidates to be likable. As soon as that candidate is the opposition, he or she will no longer be likable to those same Republicans either ways. It's humorous to me how many staunch Republicans/conservatives believe they can speak for Democrats/liberals.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Disagree. I think he's ready now and is the perfect foil for Trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Certainly does sound like victimhood. Buddha knows that white cons have a deep desire for victim status.

I really like Biden, but even I'm hesitant about him and it has nothing to do with his being a white male. Were he to get elected, it would be right before he turns 78. And quite honestly, though understandably, he seems to have missed that opportunity with the last election. Had he run, he likely would have won. Then again...

Every tool in the shed and in every other shed is sharper than the one in the WH now. :)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

I think Biden polls well purely because of name recognition. If he were to start campaigning I think his support would evaporate, particularly when he does what Biden does and with all the gaffes and groping.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    The "Base" of both parties is the problem. The sooner more of us are willing to vote off base the better. We desperately need open primaries required for every election so we can rid ourselves of the bases. We have maybe 40% of voters telling the other 60% who they can vote for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wgbgator

Open primaries are a good idea, but I honestly don't think the results would be different. Independents are basically partisan in their voting habits too. And just the concept of primaries in general more or less means the turnout is geared toward "super voters" i.e. the ones who vote in every single election and primary. I can tell you that the "progressive" wing of the Democratic party is in favor of open primaries, so I don't think they think it will result in less progressive candidates getting a shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. wgbgator

This reminds me of the other strange thing Biden's been doing in public remarks lately, he's been doing the "millenials need to shut up and get a dang job" bit, which is I guess older boomers like, but aint gonna win you a primary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    1000% this. The more politically threatening a Democratic politician is, the more awful they become. I remember the Republican machine going full force behind Obama when he was campaigning against Hillary, only to take a complete 180 the moment he sealed the nomination. It's actually kind of amusing watching Republicans try to figure out this race. There's no clear front runner, so the plan seems to be to attack everyone in the field as the "worst group of candidates, maybe ever," and claim those not in the field (and unlikely to run) are the true good guys. Totally not transparent at all.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 3
  18. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Biden getting mad love from the right, LOL. I wonder why?

He'll be in it until the end, on stage to talk smack to the other old AF guy in the race. Then he'll endorse whoever actually wins. When you type in Joe Biden in Google the first auto fill is "age". Ruh-roh.

Also LMAO at the "glass ceiling for white men" VP spot. Literally only one spot higher, and pretty much an auto-run spot. Except for colossal duds like Quayle, most run, many win the nomination, and some win it all. Bush, Gore, Mondale, Nixon, and of course a bunch of the old timers. Pence already has the 2024 fliers printed. Biden dropped out in 2015 after his son died or he'd have been right in it.

I hope if I ever get glass-ceilinged, it's just like this.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Believe me, the last thing in the world I would want to do is speak for a Democrat so you can drop the condescension!

Contrary to people like you, many if not most people normally get along fine with people that they don’t share political ideology with. My next door neighbor is as liberal as they come. But I like him, and he is a good neighbor.

Likability is personality driven, not ideologically driven.

• Like Like x 1
  20. wgbgator

I could just as easily see him getting like 2% of the vote in Iowa and calling it a day right after.

• Like Like x 1