Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis wants to reopen schools in May

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GCNumber7, Apr 10, 2020.

1. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Gov. DeSantis mulls reopening schools: Coronavirus 'doesn't seem to threaten' kids

Claims no one under 25 has died from Coranavirus. Also seems to forget schools aren’t just full of kids. They happen to have adult staff too. You know, teachers and such.

Has anyone done a worse job of handling this crisis than this clown? And he was doing a pretty decent job until this started. But his decisions over the last month and now this stupidity? Maybe Gillum isn’t the only one doing hard drugs.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Not going to happen IMO

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Also, it is a good thing children never interact with people that are older or that have preexisting conditions. They all just go home to a Peter Pan style living arrangement with nothing but other children.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    The Florida Gov appears to be lacking in smarts.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Really, DeSantis was just as underqualified as Gillum was. He was a nobody that beat Putnam, who'd been groomed for like a decade for the job. Now we're finding out just the kind of dolt he is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    He truly is stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m just in disbelieve about his statements and ‘logic’. Is he trying to outdo Trump? Sabotage his own career? It’s been a train wreck of bad decisions and now reaching comical levels.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. wgbgator

Maybe he's just going to propose child separation and lock them in cages like on the border, lets hear him out.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I really don’t know whether to laugh or cry reading these posts.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Age distribution of positive cases in FL, how old is the avg teacher? Support staff or volunteer?

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It's ok. It's just a flu.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The UK left schools open on the same premise and their death rate is around 2.5 times ours.
    But yeah, Go for it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Does the age distribution of "positive cases" matter? It's all about the deaths. If we didn't do social distancing they estimated eventually like 80% would be "positive" - whether officially detected or not.

Not that I'm defending Desantis "logic". It's true this thing doesn't seem to attack kids the way the flu might, or at worst a young/healthy death is about on the same rarity scale as the flu. The difference is this thing tears right through older populations and anybody that has any vulnerability at all. Obviously there would be many teachers vulnerable, and the issue has always been the kids mingling and then bringing the virus back home to their families, THAT is why the schools had to be closed. Not that the kids themselves were going to start dropping dead in any great numbers.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    We are in agreement, I posted that to show the age of teachers and other support staff that could easily transmit the virus to a kid who takes it home or visa versa.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. woollybooger

woollybooger VIP Member

Jul 31, 2018
    School in Florida would normally end in about 7 weeks, so why take the risk? What good is a few more weeks, are we going to going to do much to insure a good education in that time frame? Just pass everyone on to the next grade and try to make it up in time. Doubt it will really hurt too many, but some marginal students might need to repeat the year. Might be the best for them in the long run, who really knows.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. wgbgator

The real reason he's throwing this out there is they cant "reopen" the economy and also have kids at home when they could be at school. There's really no consideration beyond that IMO.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yep, the first thing that came to my mind was "why even bother" with the summer so close anyway? Makes no sense, other than this "re-open the economy" narrative to try and set some sort of May deadline. It's like a crazy suicide pact some of these Republican "leaders" have at this point...

What they should be focusing on is trying to get prepared for the fall, and probably have to have some "home schooling" and testing infrastructure beefed up (so kids can advance to the next grade level in case schools operations can't be maintained). There won't be a vaccine ready by then most likely - even keeping schools through NEXT school year is not a 100% certainty - so the primary thing should actually be building up that home schooling flexibility. I do think we should try to re-open schools in the fall and aim for a normal fall schedule, but without a vaccine it seems almost certain we will be hit by another wave of this and probably repeat the same crap again unless the virus mutates into a less deadly form. But obviously that all remains to be seen. I do know that any thinking we can just open in a few weeks is pretty much madness.

18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I highly doubt schools are going to open in May. Many locations are still working out the nuances of the online education that is taking place. Kind of hard to prepare for a return and improve the online delivery at the same time.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Rufio! Rufio! Rufio!

• Like Like x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I'm not so sure he is. Part of me thinks he knows exactly what he's doing here. And I don't mean he knows this to be a smart idea. Rather, DeSantis got elected by cozying up to Trump, so he's simply saying things to be in lockstep with Trump without truly intending to do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1