Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

DeSantis Suspends Broward Sheriff Scott Israel

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorBen, Jan 11, 2019 at 7:38 PM.

1. PerSeGator

PerSeGator All American

Jun 14, 2014
    County sheriffs and school boards are almost entirely funded by county taxes. Why should Tallahassee have any ability whatsoever to override the will of the voters in those counties? If there needs to be an "out" clause in the event of some scandal arising between elections, give the governor the ability to call a special election.

The governor overriding the will of the people to make his own politically-driven selections is completely antithetical to democracy. Not that Republicans have ever had a problem with undermining democracy if it means getting their way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Unless you're dealing with civil asset forfeiture.

3. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    It’s amazing anyone can even think Sher Israel and the voters of a Broward County did not fail miserably with respect to Cruz and the resulting Parkland shooting.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Does not matter if Israel failed or the voters failed. That is not the standard. Very dangerous to remove elected officials because the governor does not like the job they are doing. Wholly different if criminal. Overturning elections is the problem. It has now happened twice in Broward. The debate here over restricting access to guns is nonsense, too. Standard of proof on Baker Act cases for an involuntary commitment is too high and the Act shpiuld not be used as a subterfuge to address gun issues. Due process requires a hearing. Perhaps we need a set of laws and gun courts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It seems to me that cops all over the country have been conditioned to believe that their lives are more important than the citizens. They shoot unarmed people with little repercussions if they can establish an "I was scared" or "I thought I saw something in their hand" narrative ... "Blue Lives Matters" was the answer to black people asking them to stop shooting them for little or no reason ... It's no surprise that cops didn't want to run into a building where unknown shooter(s) with unknown weapon(s) probably had them out gunned. We've been telling them for years that it's okay to put their safety and their own lives above all others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    The key words are "SHOOT UP". How does one SHOOT UP anything? With a gun! Fact is that you wouldn't even have cared about his mental status anymore than those you cross daily if he hadn't actually pulled the trigger of a gun. Get rid of those non important items and case closed. As long as they exist then so do all the theories and ridiculous solutions.No clairvoyance required.

7. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I agree that hindsight is always 20/20 but we have to figure out a better way to find and treat mental illness. Heads should have rolled after that school shooting. Desantis's appointee is a black woman so maybe he isnt the racist he is alleged to be.

8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    The appointment is a black MAN, former sergeant in coral springs who now lives in Boca Raton and runs his own company. He certainly has experience with the issue at hand, but is clearly a political payback for one of the parent's support in the election who is friends with the guy. BSO is a huge entity in Broward county and will be an administrative challenge for a guy that never rose above sargent.It's also troubling that the new sheriff doesn't even live in the county. It will be interesting to see who runs in 2020.

9. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Btw, Israel's fate was sealed as soon as deSantis was elected.

Not an Israel supporter but I can't think of any other official that has been removed from office after any of these countless shootings, which makes this seem at least a little political. Also, as I recall, desantis didn't support the law Scott signed outlawing 17 year olds buying ARs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    I love how casually everyone assumes they are the "normal" one until they are involuntarily locked up because of suspicion. Welcome to America home of "it's everyone else that does it not me so lock them up!" Remember how easily you wrote those words till the day your neighbor sees you painting your lawnmower like a monster truck and riding it around wearing all black clothes while yelling "He'll yeah I am a badass!"

11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    this is a merit based decision, not politically based. the man and his department are incompetent and that incompetence led to massive loss of life

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Wasnt this the type of power that was used to deal with Waldo,FL corruption? Or did the governor at the time just abolish the entire department using some other authority? I'm ok with the idea the gov can step in, in certain circumstances. But it should be very special circumstances like in Waldo where you essentially had total and irreconcilable corruption. This does not rise to that level. IMO.

Isreal may be a horrible sheriff, who knows, but I agree that is something the local voters should decide. Esp in a county the size of Broward. This strikes me as a very obvious political move.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Seems conservatives are more about power moves that representing the law.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    My mistake my source was a drunk friend on a business trip in Ft Lauderdale. I should know better than to trust a guy who called me at 4 am asking where his phone was.

15. philobeddoe

philobeddoe Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    ...... just had to laugh at the thought of Broward County voters, given their miserable record, making a good choice at the ballot box.

16. PerSeGator

PerSeGator All American

Jun 14, 2014
    No, a lunatic with an assault rifle lead to the massive loss of life. Blaming the sheriff is just a politically convenient way to avoid confronting the reality that this sort of thing is one of the prices we pay for expanaive gun rights.

Sort of reminds me of the defenses of communism. "Yeah, well we have never seen real communism. If we ever did it would totally work perfectly." Just replace communism with "good guy with a gun" theoretics.

But regardless, the people decided on the sheriff's "merit" when they elected him. If the governor has a problem with his performance, at most he should be able to call a special election where the voters would decide if they agree with the governor's assessment (and if so, elect a new sheriff). Removing the people's choice and replacing him with a non elected appointee is about as far from democracy as it gets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    So...did you give it back?

18. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    Actually he called me from his watch. His phone he left in a cab. I somehow got in touch with the cab driver and promised the driver a pay day for returning it. My friend grabbed the phone back and ran. I may need to get better friends.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Whether they make a "good choice" is irrelevant, it is their choice.

Barring some type of actual pervasive fraud there is no basis to overturn elections. Isn't that what the cons have been saying with the Trump election and why he shouldn't be impeached or declared unfit - and those cons are ignoring serious red flags as far as criminality/corruption. Not sure anything lobbed at Isreal has anything to do with criminality. With Trump as pres, might as well say "just have to laugh at the thought of U.S. voters in Presidential elections, given their miserable record, making a good choice at the ballot box". Where does that leave you?

20. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    "Im going to shoot up school!"

Declarant shoots up school.

= Clairvoyance, to figure he might just do what he said he would.

Sure. :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1